Feminism's many branches

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2015, 08:37 PM
RE: Feminism's many branches
I just realised the irony of this thread. A poster ask a question about the numerous schools and branches of feminism and two feminists start to argue on the nature of the pay gap, its level and the best way to solve it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
15-08-2015, 08:49 PM
A while ago I ran across this website. I like it. There are a lot of good articles which explain in plain language why feminism is important.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-08-2015, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 09:11 PM by PrettyGirlRock.)
(15-08-2015 08:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  A while ago I ran across this website. I like it. There are a lot of good articles which explain in plain language why feminism is important.

Yeah I've seen this site before. Good parts, a lot of good parts. Doesn't this site talk about thin privilege and stuff like that at some point though?
15-08-2015, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 15-08-2015 09:11 PM by PrettyGirlRock.)
(15-08-2015 08:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I just realised the irony of this thread. A poster ask a question about the numerous schools and branches of feminism and two feminists start to argue on the nature of the pay gap, its level and the best way to solve it.

Oh my gosh, wow Laugh out load
16-08-2015, 07:07 AM
(15-08-2015 09:03 PM)PrettyGirlRock Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 08:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  I just realised the irony of this thread. A poster ask a question about the numerous schools and branches of feminism and two feminists start to argue on the nature of the pay gap, its level and the best way to solve it.

Oh my gosh, wow Laugh out load

I should have said three feminists (myself included) and one opposant to be more precise, but the real debate was more against two feminists over the analysis of the data and the core of the issue of the pay gap. This is the part that is more interesting.
16-08-2015, 01:14 PM
This:
(15-08-2015 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... But you can't just assert that.
... was in reference to this:
(15-08-2015 07:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  What I'm saying is that the seventy-seven percent statistic so commonly tossed about is the result of an incompetent - or, rather, incomplete - handling of the data. It is a sound bite meant for political gain rather than anything actionable.

In that this is both asserting a trend I don't see any evidence of, and claiming to know exactly what people are thinking when they say it.

(15-08-2015 07:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Devil's advocate: how much nuance can he fit into a five second soundbite?

Oh, I know. I actually quite like Senator Sanders. I consider him, for the most part, to be rather well-spoken and intelligent. But things like this are inevitable in politics, and having them repeated isn't helpful, whether or not he is aware of the finer details behind it and intends to address that.

Slogans are not the realm of nuance. I think it's a pointless waste of time to complain that they're not comprehensive...
(or: don't hate the player; hate the game)

(15-08-2015 07:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  The problem is that the people listening don't know that. Most people don't care to look up the numbers and actually understand what is meant, which leads to anger and confusion, which leads to nothing useful getting done.

How in the world do you know that?
(did... did you ask all of them?)

(15-08-2015 07:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Again, I am a feminist. I would just prefer that people addressed the numbers and the actual information they garner than spend all their energy yelling about sound bites.

WHO DOES THAT?

(15-08-2015 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  When so many of the compounding factors are themselves highly gendered, does it not make sense to elide them for simplicity in the most basic contexts?

No. Because most people don't know about these compounding factors, and telling them things so simplistic as "women earn only seventy-seven cents for every dollar a man makes" will not help to educate them on that front. It will only serve to confuse the issue and prevent help from reaching the actual places where it is needed.

You keep talking about "most" people and how you know what they think. How do you know this?

(15-08-2015 06:17 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Equal pay is one thing, but - notwithstanding that even the article you link to states that that isn't the reality either

Though it doesn't say why. Again, there are other factors in play, and assuming that it's simply the evil corporations trying to keep women down does not help when that isn't necessarily the case.

WHO DOES THIS?

(15-08-2015 07:40 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Making such sweeping, simple generalizations is bound to end up confusing the issue. As someone who wants it actually solved, I would prefer that to not happen.

The other aspect which I didn't mention until now is that that kind of blocking response is a gift to the actual sexists out there...

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
16-08-2015, 03:08 PM
(15-08-2015 09:02 PM)PrettyGirlRock Wrote:  
(15-08-2015 08:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  A while ago I ran across this website. I like it. There are a lot of good articles which explain in plain language why feminism is important.

Yeah I've seen this site before. Good parts, a lot of good parts. Doesn't this site talk about thin privilege and stuff like that at some point though?

Haven't the foggiest. The articles I've seen have been interesting, informative and nuanced. I found an article as I was clicking around that site on exactly your topic that you mentioned. It seems pretty decent. Never heard of that stuff before and tbh I got other axes to grind but maybe I'll be a bit nicer to the next fat person I see.

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-08-2015, 06:55 AM
Egalitarianism is where it's at. Wink Feminism started off well-intentioned, but seems to have splintered off into special interest groups...without equality for ALL in mind.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 4 users Like Deidre32's post
18-08-2015, 07:45 AM
(14-08-2015 11:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 09:28 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Misandry is the etymological equivalent of misogyny.

But what is the entomological equivalent of feminism?

Worker bees? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-08-2015, 08:16 AM
(18-08-2015 07:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-08-2015 11:28 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  But what is the entomological equivalent of feminism?

Worker bees? Consider

Those ladies don't take shit from *anyone*.