Feminists now hijacking atheism? WTF?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Feminists now hijacking atheism? WTF?
A local atheist site reads in part "We support and work with the LGBT and Feminist communities."

Can't feminists run their own gig without parasitising some other host group? It wasn't always like this. A few years ago atheism was atheism. Now it's being bundled. It's sort of like calling your cable company to order internet service but they won't give it to you unless you also take their crappy cable TV channels. "But I don't want TV, I only want...." "Too bad. You can't have the internet unless you take the TV."

Although it's also bundled in, LGBT is not so much my complaint, although someone atheists may not care for it. Marry a tree if you like. I could care less.

As for feminism, I loathe it about as much as I loathe religion. So essentially, I feel excluded from the atheist community on the principle that I do not adhere to the core group values. Sort of like being kicked out of church for not believing in Jesus.

Why select feminists anyway? What in the world has feminism got to do with atheism? Why not "We support and work with the NAACP and Southern Baptist communities."? Or, why not "We support and work with the KKK and the NRA communities."? Don't support their agendas? Tough! Get lost!

I know, supporting another group's agenda is not the same thing as that other group infiltrating yours, but I cannot believe an atheist organization would go out of their way to solicit another unrelated group with the intention of supporting them out of the kindness of their heart. Rather, it's the other way around - the feminist lobby is infecting the atheist lobby.

I don't think this is an isolated case. Seems this is happening to the broader atheist community.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Antitheist007's post
07-08-2014, 03:59 PM
RE: Feminists now hijacking atheism? WTF?
You don't like feminism (I prefer to call it gender equality), or you don't like those whack-o's giving feminism a bad name?

Feminism started off as just gender equality, getting equal rights for women. Some really have taken it too far, and have ruined the movement and name.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 11 users Like Smercury44's post
07-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Wait a minute... there's an atheist lobby ..?

Well then, fuck this atheist crap - I'm done. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 10 users Like kim's post
07-08-2014, 04:10 PM
(07-08-2014 04:03 PM)kim Wrote:  Wait a minute... there's an atheist lobby ..?

Well then, fuck this atheist crap - I'm done. Drinking Beverage

I avoid the lobby, I just stay in my room, order room service, and invite friends over Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 16 users Like Smercury44's post
07-08-2014, 04:13 PM
I've never understood feminism in current day america. We have plenty of laws in place protecting women from being subject to some misogynistic man. Now in the middle east there is a place where strong minded women are needed. There are women who can't even speak in public due to their cultural. And what happens if they go against their cultural? Death. Torture by acid. Rape. It depends honestly but in the end the men are not persecuted. Sometimes the women do it to themselves out of fear of their husbands. So not only is the abuse is not only physical but seriously psychological.

Now with all this going on in these countries I don't really see a lot of feminist trying to make a change in this. Maybe even trying to petition to get men who've done these thing thrown in jail. Nothing of the sort. I honestly see the majority of american feminist as posers just trying to fit in. All talk and no bark when it comes to real issues. Just my two cents.
07-08-2014, 04:21 PM
(07-08-2014 04:13 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  I've never understood feminism in current day america. We have plenty of laws in place protecting women from being subject to some misogynistic man. Now in the middle east there is a place where strong minded women are needed. There are women who can't even speak in public due to their cultural. And what happens if they go against their cultural? Death. Torture by acid. Rape. It depends honestly but in the end the men are not persecuted. Sometimes the women do it to themselves out of fear of their husbands. So not only is the abuse is not only physical but seriously psychological.

Now with all this going on in these countries I don't really see a lot of feminist trying to make a change in this. Maybe even trying to petition to get men who've done these thing thrown in jail. Nothing of the sort. I honestly see the majority of american feminist as posers just trying to fit in. All talk and no bark when it comes to real issues. Just my two cents.
Unlike males, females have to deal with the issue of pregnancy.
As the patriarchal priesthood are exempt from this issue, I imagine the ladies have a valid right in this area; if this is linked to atheism per se, so be it!
07-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Completely 100% agreed on the feminism hate thing (and preference to call it gender equality), but, to be fair, it's just one site.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
07-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I really wouldn't worry about it. I cannot believe any major atheist group would team up with one of the "I fucking hate men Hobo " off-shoots of feminism. Ergo it's likely just a gender equality group, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Goes along with the humanism that a lot of atheists seem to have.

Plus, it's nice to have friends, ya know? We don't have many No

[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
07-08-2014, 04:29 PM
There is nothing unusual in what the OP is talking about. Special interest groups will often band together and work together if they think that there is a common goal. The common goal here being freedom from discrimination. So you'll have feminists, people from the LGBT communities (which used to be just LGB until they joined with T) and many other groups that have nothing to do with atheism, such as disabled people etc.

If these disparate groups band together then it gives them a louder voice than if they were were all shouting for the same thing separately in different ways. I presume this is the motivation behind atheism+. It wouldn't make much sense somewhere like the UK where most people aren't regular church going Christians, but somewhere like America where open discrimination is rife against atheists, then yes, you need to work with other groups.

Look at any mass protest and you'll see plenty of groups marching together, even groups that sometimes vehemently disagree with each other.
[+] 13 users Like Mathilda's post
07-08-2014, 04:34 PM
(07-08-2014 04:27 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  ---
Plus, it's nice to have friends, ya know? We don't have many No

I think many groups feel there are strength in numbers.
Only a few years ago, gay marriage didn't have the numbers to acquire it's recent, widespread acceptance. Things might very well be progressing, finally.

It's time for the times to be a changing. Shy Hit it Girly.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post