Femto Photography

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Jeff's post
03-09-2012, 02:13 AM
RE: Femto Photography
This would make Einstein shit himself.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-09-2012, 03:55 AM
[Image: JawDroppingDog.jpg]

wow, what do you say to that?, that's simply amazing.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-09-2012, 04:08 AM
Thank you so much for sharing this. Absolutely incredible.

YEAHHHHHHH SCIENCE

Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself. - Robert Ingersoll
[Image: jVZNc.jpg]
03-09-2012, 06:28 AM
This raises two questions for me, and in thinking about the answers, keep in mind that the video is a combination of millions/billions/trillions of light pulses stitched together to make a continuous video.

1. If we measured the length of the bottle and the time it takes for the light bullet to cross the bottle, it should give us the speed of light in whatever liquid he has in the bottle, yes? If he then sends two photon bullets in, from either side, so that they will pass each other in the bottle, will we observe any relativistic effects, or will the apparent speed of each bullet relative to the other be double the speed of light in whatever liquid he has in the bottle? I'm thinking here of Einstein's thought experiment, with the two space ships travelling close to the speed of light, and passing each other.

2. If instead of using the bottle he uses a mirror, and fires a photon bullet at the mirror, at a 90 degree angle, so that the bullet will reflect back on its incoming path, doesn't the photon's velocity have to momentarily pass through zero in making the change of direction? Why isn't this a case of the speed of light not always being the speed of light? Consider
03-09-2012, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2012 11:09 AM by earmuffs.)
(03-09-2012 06:28 AM)Jeff Wrote:  This raises two questions for me, and in thinking about the answers, keep in mind that the video is a combination of millions/billions/trillions of light pulses stitched together to make a continuous video.

1. If we measured the length of the bottle and the time it takes for the light bullet to cross the bottle, it should give us the speed of light in whatever liquid he has in the bottle, yes? If he then sends two photon bullets in, from either side, so that they will pass each other in the bottle, will we observe any relativistic effects, or will the apparent speed of each bullet relative to the other be double the speed of light in whatever liquid he has in the bottle? I'm thinking here of Einstein's thought experiment, with the two space ships travelling close to the speed of light, and passing each other.

2. If instead of using the bottle he uses a mirror, and fires a photon bullet at the mirror, at a 90 degree angle, so that the bullet will reflect back on its incoming path, doesn't the photon's velocity have to momentarily pass through zero in making the change of direction? Why isn't this a case of the speed of light not always being the speed of light? Consider

1. I'm not familiar with that. Is it like if two trains pass each other and you're looking out the window the other train appears to be going much faster?
Because if so, it would only appear twice the speed of light if you were looking at the other beam relative to the first beam. So like, if you're constantly looking at the first, when the second passes by it'll appear twice as fast, but only because you are moving at the speed of light (looking at the first beam).
But like the trains, it may appear so, but it doesn't make it so. (ie: The light is not actually traveling twice the speed of light)

2. It's energy so I imagine (remember, I'm no scientist here) it transfers to whatever you shoot it at and then that thing then shoots it back. So like it doesn't stop it just gets absorbed into something else (light potential energy???), and then gets transferred back into light energy and shot back.
It's energy, it can't really "bounce" off something. It just transfers. Like heat for example, I heat a room with a heater. That then sends out heat energy which make particles bounce around and heat up. That then in turn creates heat energy which heats something else up, say I leave the room. So the heat from the heater heats me, I then leave the room and sit down and then the heat energy that I now have in turn heats the air around me.
So this is how I imagine light is. A light bulb is turned on creating light energy, that light then passes through the room and hits me, it then absorbs into me in the same way heat would, and then I have this light energy so I then emit this light energy.

I dunno, thinking out loud again.

03-09-2012, 11:19 AM
1. That question is the reason why special relativity exists. I don't have the math to talk about it; if you do you should take a higher level physics course and find out. It's certainly interesting; just hard work.

2. It's an instantaneous inflection (assuming a perfect mirror). No v = 0.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-09-2012, 11:24 AM
(03-09-2012 11:19 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  1. That question is the reason why special relativity exists. I don't have the math to talk about it; if you do you should take a higher level physics course and find out. It's certainly interesting; just hard work.

2. It's an instantaneous inflection (assuming a perfect mirror). No v = 0.

higher level math?

You don't need it. It may appear to be going faster, but in reality both would be traveling at the speed of light so its meaningless.
Like with the two trains passing eachother. If each is going 100km/ph when they pass eachother, if you are on one of the trains the other will appear to be going twice as fast sure, BUT in reality it's only traveling at 100km/ph so it doesn't mean anything.

03-09-2012, 12:04 PM
No... You don't understand special relativity.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Here are some thought experiments on special relativity

http://aether.lbl.gov/www/classes/p139/e...anken.html