Ferguson, Missouri for the past few days...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2014, 08:49 PM
RE: Ferguson, Missouri for the past few days...
(24-11-2014 08:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If you think shooting someone that many times isnt excessive force remind me not to piss you off.

Hobbit, you have a 260 lb 6 foot 4 man who has already punched you, slammed your car door on you, and reached to grab your gun, your gun goes off, hitting him in the hand, he turns runs a few feet, turns back around as you exit the car and runs straight at you....you going to shoot once and reaccess the situation, or in a bit of panic, and fear for your own life pull the trigger a few times.....you know how fast 6 shots come out of a gun? very very fast, under 2 secs or so. Say one thousand one, one th....done ..bang bang bang bang bang bang. it isnt like the man was lying in the street and he was reloading and pumping bullets into him, or he was standing there with his hands up, or running away and the officer shot him anyway...those were all LIES.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
24-11-2014, 08:53 PM
(24-11-2014 08:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 08:45 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  If you think shooting someone that many times isnt excessive force remind me not to piss you off.

Hobbit, you have a 260 lb 6 foot 4 man who has already punched you, slammed your car door on you, and reached to grab your gun, your gun goes off, hitting him in the hand, he turns runs a few feet, turns back around as you exit the car and runs straight at you....you going to shoot once and reaccess the situation, or in a bit of panic, and fear for your own life pull the trigger a few times.....you know how fast 6 shots come out of a gun? very very fast, under 2 secs or so. Say one thousand one, one th....done ..bang bang bang bang bang bang. it isnt like the man was lying in the street and he was reloading and pumping bullets into him, or he was standing there with his hands up, or running away and the officer shot him anyway...those were all LIES.

Cop shouldnt panic so easily I guess. I figure they'd be trained for life and death situations. But it doesnt matter what I think. He is free to do as he pleases.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
24-11-2014, 08:54 PM

If video games have taught me anything it's that a 9mm does 25 damage so you need to put at least 4 shots into a dude to kill him. It's not like he had a sniper rifle where he could just 360 no-scope the dude.

#themomentyourealizeyouplaytoomanyvideogames

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 9 users Like earmuffs's post
24-11-2014, 08:56 PM
Then there's the woman who accidentally shot herself in the head after waiving a gun around saying she was ready for Ferguson.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/23/us/ferguso...s-herself/

Facepalm

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
24-11-2014, 08:56 PM
(24-11-2014 08:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 08:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Hobbit, you have a 260 lb 6 foot 4 man who has already punched you, slammed your car door on you, and reached to grab your gun, your gun goes off, hitting him in the hand, he turns runs a few feet, turns back around as you exit the car and runs straight at you....you going to shoot once and reaccess the situation, or in a bit of panic, and fear for your own life pull the trigger a few times.....you know how fast 6 shots come out of a gun? very very fast, under 2 secs or so. Say one thousand one, one th....done ..bang bang bang bang bang bang. it isnt like the man was lying in the street and he was reloading and pumping bullets into him, or he was standing there with his hands up, or running away and the officer shot him anyway...those were all LIES.

Cop shouldnt panic so easily I guess. I figure they'd be trained for life and death situations. But it doesnt matter what I think. He is free to do as he pleases.

Being trained and being in that situation are two very different things.
Cops are people too and people's primary instinct is to survive.
ie: If you're in a car accident it's better to completely relax all your muscle in your body than tense up (this is why drunk people always survive car accidents), yet if you're in the moments before being involved in a serious car accident you try to relax...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
24-11-2014, 08:57 PM
(24-11-2014 08:54 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  

If video games have taught me anything it's that a 9mm does 25 damage so you need to put at least 4 shots into a dude to kill him. It's not like he had a sniper rifle where he could just 360 no-scope the dude.

#themomentyourealizeyouplaytoomanyvideogames

Facepalm Laughat
24-11-2014, 08:59 PM
The only 12 people who heard all the evidence made their decision. All evidence will now be released.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
24-11-2014, 09:24 PM
No training can perfectly prepare you for a life or death situation, and no simulation can determine how someone will react when faced with one. No matter how realistic in theory, your brain reacts differently when it comes to the conclusion of "Holy shit that guy is trying to kill me." Whether that conclusion ends up being the right one or not, the brain immediately goes into amygdala hijack, during which time the portion of the brain responsible for instinctive response quite literally overrides and shuts down the "human" portion of the brain responsible for rational thought, relinquishing control only when the perceived threat no longer exists.

It takes several such situations before one can have the experience to begin to exert some form of self control. Most cops go their entire career without even firing their weapon at a person.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
24-11-2014, 09:26 PM
(24-11-2014 08:53 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 08:49 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Hobbit, you have a 260 lb 6 foot 4 man who has already punched you, slammed your car door on you, and reached to grab your gun, your gun goes off, hitting him in the hand, he turns runs a few feet, turns back around as you exit the car and runs straight at you....you going to shoot once and reaccess the situation, or in a bit of panic, and fear for your own life pull the trigger a few times.....you know how fast 6 shots come out of a gun? very very fast, under 2 secs or so. Say one thousand one, one th....done ..bang bang bang bang bang bang. it isnt like the man was lying in the street and he was reloading and pumping bullets into him, or he was standing there with his hands up, or running away and the officer shot him anyway...those were all LIES.

We are and he did what his training taught him, defend yourself when attacked.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 3 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
24-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Cops wear bullet proof vests to work for a reason - the job is dangerous. They lace their boots up for work each day knowing they might not come home. They have families that depend on them.

I made it clear to my husband when he joined the force that if I had to bury him, it wasn't going to be because he hesitated - I'd prefer to stand by his side in court rather than kneel at his grave as a widow.

If you charge a cop or point a gun at them, expect to get shot. If they tell you to "drop the weapon," "put your hands where I can see them," or "get on the ground" - fucking do it. Back when he was on patrol he drew his weapon on a near daily basis but fortunately has never had to fire it outside of training.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 8 users Like Nurse's post