Fetishizing women of colour

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 05:59 PM by Kavos.)
Fetishizing women of colour
http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/dati...ian-woman/

Great article. I'm sick and tired of white men fetishizing women of colour, particularly asian women. When they do it, it's like she doesn't matter as an individual, it completely depersonifies her, and I find it absolutely unacceptable. Asian women as seen as meek and submissive, and easy to control, which is a shame because many of them are nothing like that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 05:58 PM
RE: Fetishizing women of colour
What article? And why to you sound so much like a recently banned forum member?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
11-12-2013, 06:00 PM
(11-12-2013 05:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What article? And why to you sound so much like a recently banned forum member?

My bad. I've added the link.
11-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Troll or not, those are valid points. Being asian (or not) is out of ones control, and being hated or loved solely for this reason (of judging who they are or what they are like) is stereotyping and does dismiss the individual by jumping to conclusions about them before learning to 'know' them.
11-12-2013, 06:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 07:00 PM by ghostexorcist.)
This deals primarily with the concepts of "exoticsm" and "orientalism." The woman are fetishsized because they are seen as treasures to be had from a conquered civilization, or at least a civilization that is deemed uncivilized according to western ideologies. Americans were lusting after Native women long before they got hooked on Asians. A common trope was the "Copper Skinned Cleopatra."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
11-12-2013, 06:53 PM
(11-12-2013 06:45 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Troll or not, those are valid points. Being asian (or not) is out of ones control, and being hated or loved solely for this reason (of judging who they are or what they are like) is stereotyping and does dismiss the individual by jumping to conclusions about them before learning to 'know' them.

Yes it's positive discrimination. Assuming that someone is more likely to have certain characteristics just because they come from a culture where those characteristics are usually reinforced is pure ignorance. It only takes 1 exception to the rule to make the rule invalid. It's true that often asian women are encouraged to be gentle and cooperative but that's no reason to assume that every single one of them will be that way. There are indeed asian women who are pretty much like western women so to make assumptions based purely on their cultural background is just reinforcing cultural stereotypes. Not all asian women are typically asian. They can be westernised just like women of any culture can be.
11-12-2013, 06:54 PM
(11-12-2013 06:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This deals primarily with the concepts of "exoticsm" and "orientalism." The woman are fetishsized because they are seen as treasures to had from a conquered civilization, or at least a civilization that is deemed uncivilized according to western ideologies. Americans were lusting after Native women long before they got hooked on Asians. A common trope was the "Copper Skinned Cleopatra."

Absolutely. If a white man is too weak to be able to handle a strong western woman, then maybe he should look at himself rather than take advantage of women from other cultures.
[+] 1 user Likes Kavos's post
11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
it's probably like most fetishes, once you experience them in actuality, the desire is no longer there (Meh) and you move onto a new piece of fruit just out of reach.

(god created misogynistic horny rapists in his own image, man created morals to "do no harm")

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
I know exactly what this woman talking about I've gotten the same treatment from a couple of white guys who thought I was going to be a sassy black woman. Too bad for them I'm the "can I get you a cookie and a glass of milk?" kind of girl. Yes I'm sassy in my own way but I'm just not ghetto. I'm usually too perky and submissive for most people. Well my ex-boyfriend says I have a passive aggressive way of giving orders *giggle* that no one can help but follow through on. I always get tossed into the "Oreo cookie" category, sigh. I'm not even going to go into the guys who wanted to date me BECAUSE I'm blind, that's a whole other shit ton of creepy.
I myself have never seen what's the big deal about Asian women I just don't get it.
11-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Yabut, where is the line between attraction/preference and fetishism? Consider

Let's say I simply find <insert ethnicity here> women more attractive than other ethnicities? Who's to say it's a fetish, not a simple preference?

Do you prefer tall men? Blonde women? Busty? Athletic? Skinny? Hairy? Scottish accents?

Meh.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post