Fetishizing women of colour

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: Fetishizing women of colour
Do white men fetishize Asian women more than any men fetishize any other women? Men fetishize women (and men), women fetishize men (and women). I think it's natural instinct for humans to think about sex and to desire other humans. As long as you don't openly objectify anyone, or think that because you want something you can just take it, I don't see a problem with it.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
11-12-2013, 10:06 PM
(11-12-2013 06:54 PM)Kavos Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 06:49 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  This deals primarily with the concepts of "exoticsm" and "orientalism." The woman are fetishsized because they are seen as treasures to had from a conquered civilization, or at least a civilization that is deemed uncivilized according to western ideologies. Americans were lusting after Native women long before they got hooked on Asians. A common trope was the "Copper Skinned Cleopatra."

Absolutely. If a white man is too weak to be able to handle a strong western woman, then maybe he should look at himself rather than take advantage of women from other cultures.

I see this also as stereotyping. For a man to desire a submissive woman doesn't make him weak. And not all western women are strong willed, nor do all desire to be.
I don't know. I realize that stereotypes come about for a reason and that women are still objectified. Just because it is slowly being seen as a bad thing (at least in the US) to objectify women doesn't mean it has stopped. I get that, but sometimes I think we over analyze things. IMO there is nothing wrong with a white man being attracted to Asian women just because they're Asian. There have to be more factors involve for it to become a problem.
[+] 5 users Like Losty's post
12-12-2013, 05:19 AM
(11-12-2013 10:06 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 06:54 PM)Kavos Wrote:  Absolutely. If a white man is too weak to be able to handle a strong western woman, then maybe he should look at himself rather than take advantage of women from other cultures.

I see this also as stereotyping. For a man to desire a submissive woman doesn't make him weak. And not all western women are strong willed, nor do all desire to be.
I don't know. I realize that stereotypes come about for a reason and that women are still objectified. Just because it is slowly being seen as a bad thing (at least in the US) to objectify women doesn't mean it has stopped. I get that, but sometimes I think we over analyze things. IMO there is nothing wrong with a white man being attracted to Asian women just because they're Asian. There have to be more factors involve for it to become a problem.

I suppose what I meant was that men would rather spend time with women who are calm, gentle, cooperative, obliging, humble and easygoing, than women who are brash, arrogant, promiscuous, confrontational, difficult, nasty and obsessed with "equality". Obviously the former is more likely to be found in asian and other countries, and the latter is the prevailing way in the west, particularly the US. This probably explains why the interest in foreign (non US, non western) women is increasing at the rate that it is. It just seems like the easier, less stressful option.
12-12-2013, 06:18 AM
(11-12-2013 08:49 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, where is the line between attraction/preference and fetishism? Consider

Let's say I simply find <insert ethnicity here> women more attractive than other ethnicities? Who's to say it's a fetish, not a simple preference?

Do you prefer tall men? Blonde women? Busty? Athletic? Skinny? Hairy? Scottish accents?

Meh.

And vice versa. I don't find people of some ethnicities attractive in the same way I don't find blond, too athletic, skinny or curly haired men attractive.

Plus I once was obsessed with Asian guys until I met a couple of them. Sometimes it's about what you think they're like and once you actually see it for yourself and it's demystified in your head, there goes the fetish.

Even by definition, this cannot be described as a "fetish". Is it just a coincidence that anime and manga fans almost always prefer Asian girls? It would be a fetish if they asked their girlfriends to wear a mask with an Asian girl's face on it.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
12-12-2013, 06:28 AM
(11-12-2013 09:59 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do white men fetishize Asian women more than any men fetishize any other women? Men fetishize women (and men), women fetishize men (and women). I think it's natural instinct for humans to think about sex and to desire other humans. As long as you don't openly objectify anyone, or think that because you want something you can just take it, I don't see a problem with it.

I know men in Asia have a thing for white women. My friend, who is an attractive blonde, goes there all of the time. She is fluent in Japanese, so she can understand all of the lewd stuff the Japanese businessmen say about her. This is another case of "exoticism." A girl with light hair and eyes and pale skin really stands out in a society with dark hair and eyes. Besides, pale skin is considered a mark of beauty in eastern cultures.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
12-12-2013, 08:29 AM
(12-12-2013 06:28 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 09:59 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Do white men fetishize Asian women more than any men fetishize any other women? Men fetishize women (and men), women fetishize men (and women). I think it's natural instinct for humans to think about sex and to desire other humans. As long as you don't openly objectify anyone, or think that because you want something you can just take it, I don't see a problem with it.

I know men in Asia have a thing for white women. My friend, who is an attractive blonde, goes there all of the time. She is fluent in Japanese, so she can understand all of the lewd stuff the Japanese businessmen say about her. This is another case of "exoticism." A girl with light hair and eyes and pale skin really stands out in a society with dark hair and eyes. Besides, pale skin is considered a mark of beauty in eastern cultures.

A lot of people have desires to be with someone outside of what is considered average for them. I used to spend a lot of time in a Hispanic community in Georgia and those guys would always tell me how they loved my white skin lol. I thought that was really weird, but I am likewise attracted to men with darker skin than mine.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
12-12-2013, 09:05 AM
The word "fetish" pertains to objects.

Quote:fet·ish

[ féttish ]

1.magical object: something, especially an inanimate object, that is revered or worshiped because it is believed to have magical powers or be animated by a spirit
2.object of obsession: an object, idea, or activity that somebody is irrationally obsessed with or attached to
3.object arousing sexual desire: something that arouses sexual excitement in somebody, e.g. an inanimate object or nonsexual part of the body

If someone has a fetish regarding oriental women, it is the physical aspects, the body parts, not the personality. Otherwise it's a preference.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-12-2013, 10:47 AM
:wonders whether to get involved:

Confused

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
12-12-2013, 10:57 AM
(12-12-2013 10:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  :wonders whether to get involved:

Confused
don't its a trap, I can see where all this is going...

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 3 users Like grizzlysnake's post
12-12-2013, 11:33 AM
(12-12-2013 10:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  :wonders whether to get involved:

Confused

Go for it. What's the worst hat can happen?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor