Fewer Americans Believe the Bible is the Literal Word of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2017, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 16-05-2017 11:18 AM by Rockblossom.)
Fewer Americans Believe the Bible is the Literal Word of God
According to a Gallup Poll :
http://www.gallup.com/poll/210704/record...aign=tiles

Quote:Fewer than one in four Americans (24%) now believe the Bible is "the actual word of God, and is to be taken literally, word for word," similar to the 26% who view it as "a book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man."

[Image: 4u95sklnqeshxuzj4jqzeg.png]

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Rockblossom's post
16-05-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Fewer Americans Believe the Bible is the Literal Word of God
Looks like the green line (literalists) is losing at the expense of the grey line (it's all bullshit-ists) which isn't what one would expect. One would expect a softening, not a complete 180 degree turn. One would not expect the stagnation of the black line, which would be the intermediate view that god inspired it, but didn't mean it to be taken literally.

Except that, as a former fundie, that the literalists lost 8 points in the past couple of generations where the nones / atheists gained 11 and the liberal theists remained static, doesn't surprise me ... because the literalists are losing their young people to higher education and older people like me to the eight million ways that life just doesn't line up with their ideology and beliefs. And that tends to cause an abreaction, a complete disavowal. The cognitive dissonance would not be so bad for liberals, I would imagine.
[+] 5 users Like mordant's post
16-05-2017, 11:35 AM
(16-05-2017 11:23 AM)mordant Wrote:  Looks like the green line (literalists) is losing at the expense of the grey line (it's all bullshit-ists) which isn't what one would expect. One would expect a softening, not a complete 180 degree turn. One would not expect the stagnation of the black line, which would be the intermediate view that god inspired it, but didn't mean it to be taken literally.

Except that, as a former fundie, that the literalists lost 8 points in the past couple of generations where the nones / atheists gained 11 and the liberal theists remained static, doesn't surprise me ... because the literalists are losing their young people to higher education and older people like me to the eight million ways that life just doesn't line up with their ideology and beliefs. And that tends to cause an abreaction, a complete disavowal. The cognitive dissonance would not be so bad for liberals, I would imagine.

I think it may be more that the literalists are losing ground to the "inspired" crowd, which in turn is losing members to the "mythist" group. That makes it appear that the largest group is remaining steady. Note that younger groups show fewer literalists and a larger percentage of mythists (who are not necessarily atheists), so the literalists are literally dying off from old age.

I’ll be a story in your head, but that’s okay, because we’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh? Because it was, you know. It was the best.
The Doctor
[+] 3 users Like Rockblossom's post
16-05-2017, 12:03 PM
(16-05-2017 11:35 AM)Rockblossom Wrote:  
(16-05-2017 11:23 AM)mordant Wrote:  Looks like the green line (literalists) is losing at the expense of the grey line (it's all bullshit-ists) which isn't what one would expect. One would expect a softening, not a complete 180 degree turn. One would not expect the stagnation of the black line, which would be the intermediate view that god inspired it, but didn't mean it to be taken literally.

I think it may be more that the literalists are losing ground to the "inspired" crowd, which in turn is losing members to the "mythist" group. That makes it appear that the largest group is remaining steady. Note that younger groups show fewer literalists and a larger percentage of mythists (who are not necessarily atheists), so the literalists are literally dying off from old age.
That is possible, and would be an interesting thing to study. I could see it going either way, or both ways (fundies losing to nones / unbelievers AND liberals / mythicists, and the latter losing to nones / unbelievers at the same rate they are gaining former fundies).
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
16-05-2017, 01:27 PM
I think fewer Americans know what "literal" means.
[+] 5 users Like kemo boy's post
16-05-2017, 01:31 PM
I think Hemant Mehta hit the nail on the head here.

Quote:The good news: 24% of Americans says the Bible is the literal word of God, the lowest number ever seen in a Gallup poll in 40 years.

The bad news: Jesus H. Christ, 24% of Americans say the Bible is the literal word of God.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 11 users Like Reltzik's post
16-05-2017, 05:15 PM
(16-05-2017 01:31 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  I think Hemant Mehta hit the nail on the head here.

Quote:The good news: 24% of Americans says the Bible is the literal word of God, the lowest number ever seen in a Gallup poll in 40 years.

The bad news: Jesus H. Christ, 24% of Americans say the Bible is the literal word of God.
Yeah, just like Trump's falling poll numbers. The good news is they are falling, the bad news is that nearly 40% of Americans still approve of him, and people in the know think it will have to fall below 30% before Republican lawmakers start to abandon him.

Similarly I think we will still have fundies with outsized political influence until these figures from Gallup fall below 10%. Whatever else they are, they're squeaky wheels for Jesus.
19-05-2017, 08:01 AM
I think one of the major concerns is that 71% of Americans still believe that a god exists, as per the "literal" believers plus the "inspired by" believers percentages.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
19-05-2017, 04:07 PM
(19-05-2017 08:01 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I think one of the major concerns is that 71% of Americans still believe that a god exists, as per the "literal" believers plus the "inspired by" believers percentages.
Mitigating this concern is the fact that some (mainly, though not entirely, the "inspired by" types) who believe in deities hold that belief fairly loosely. That is, that have not thought much about it, don't really act as if they believe it, and it's probably fair to say that they sort of hope it's true or largely true, mainly for the sake of attaining a desirable afterlife, but it doesn't really inform their minute to minute behavior or thinking.
[+] 2 users Like mordant's post
25-05-2017, 08:07 AM
"The number of college students with no religious affiliation has tripled in the last 30 years, from 10 percent in 1986 to 31 percent in 2016, according to data from the CIRP Freshman Survey. Over the same period, the number who attended religious services dropped from 85 percent to 69 percent. These trends provide a shapshot of the current generation of young adults; they also provide a preview of rapid secularization in the U.S. over the next 30 years."

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/obs..._ARTC_BLOG
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post