Fiance's overreaction to my new found atheism/agnosticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-08-2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Fiance's overreaction to my new found atheism/agnosticism
I'm not so sure WH...it really depends on the person...My wife was raised Southern Baptist and was still one when we got married...now she's even more "militant" atheist than I am.

I'd say, if you can get her to talk and to reason with you (like my wife did) then it is still salvagable....prove your point with actions rather then words.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Our relationship has gotten better with time and he has chilled out A LOT. She isn't as stubborn as she used to be and we actually hold intelligent conversations about religion, science and the world in general. She finally has come around and see's where I come from and hopefully it will stay this way. It has been tough but I thank everyone on this forum for their support.
09-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Hello new atheist.

So, I guess that now, after this episode, you understand what kind of problems do atheists have in a Christian environment and how many times have you been acting like this...

This being said, I am very glad to hear the good news of your intellectual salvation. When I started to read this thread, I thought for sure you two will separate, but it seems I was wrong to jump to that conclusion. Guess she just needed some time to process the information and that can be extremely difficult if you are a Christian that is facing non-christian facts.

Some time from now you will be laughing about this subject and you will be so happy that you both realized the fucking simple truth.

Peace.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
09-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Aw man! This is not the first time someone wrote this. Someone else had this after a few years of marriage.
She'll miss you when you're gone.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
10-09-2013, 10:26 AM
(22-07-2013 09:52 AM)CCrosby Wrote:  I recently decided to turn away from Christianity and become an atheist. I was raised in a Southern Baptist church and most of my family with the exception of my brother (an atheist) are Fundamentalist Christians. I have been struggling with questions about why do we believe in a God and what the bible says for the past six months. So I decided to read the bible more and learn more about biblical history as well as the history of the world. My thirst for knowledge was not quenched. Even after praying, "supplementing myself unto God", and "seeking ye first the kingdom of God" I found and felt nothing. I no longer found a reason to believe in a God as my search for proof of my what's and why's turned up empty. I found so many contradictions and lies in the Bible that it drove me away. Even the concept of Hell is absolutely absurd to me now.

I recently came out to my fiance after six months of pondering about my atheism and the reasons why I turned to irreligion. Now me and my fiance have been together for three years and she has two kids from a previous marriage. She was also raised in a Southern Baptist, Christian household and considered herself a woman of God. Not even a minute into the discussion with her she says "I can't be with someone who doesn't believe in God". She then said "I would have rather you told me you slept with someone else". This made my heart drop...I mean how can someone be so intolerant? Someone I thought would understand a little better or act more "Christ like". Even I wouldn't have reacted like that. I knew I dropped the bombshell and that there would be some sort of negative reaction to me coming out as an atheist but seriously...it kinda broke my heart.

The next day I tried to talk with her more and give her my reasons why I believe what I believed and to no avail. She is overreacting and get emotionally distraught whenever we talk about me not going to church with them anymore. It's actually quite childish. After 3+ years of being together all she can say is "I need someone who is a Christian for me and the boys". After all I have do for her and those kids I am still being ostracized by her. It seems like I can't talk to her anymore and she has completely put this wall of ignorance up. I was met with negativity and anger and she was kind of remorseful for meeting me as she implied that she was with me because I was a Christian. I thought we were together because of LOVE! So I basically am in a dilemma because I feel that she wants to leave me. What does my non-belief in "God" have to do with us loving each other? What does "God" have to do with me being a great stepfather (which I am)? This is so crazy...

It is crazy and I would not expect anything but crazy if you actually choose to marry into this. Don't expect others to change to suit you any more than you would for them.

If she was with you because of a religion and NOT you first and always she does not love you and has been living a lie with you. Sounds like you are doing the right thing and she sucks frankly. Love is not enough to damn yourself to a prison of minds with this woman move on.