Fifty Shades of......domestic abuse?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2015, 03:10 PM
RE: Fifty Shades of......domestic abuse?
(14-02-2015 12:15 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 09:47 AM)Blackout Wrote:  If I grow up watching TV series where the black guys are criminals or villains, I am more likely to hold negative stereotypes about black people.

Uhm Consider that sounds a bit far-fetched. I'm sure that some individuals might be easier to "manipulate" but if you were referring to the teen years, your critical reasoning skills should ensure that you don't believe everything literally in a tv series.

Actually it's not far fetched. It works because it is subtle and you do not conscously realise that you are forming unconscious expectations of the world.

As an example:

A father and son are in a horrible car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to the hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate—that boy is my son!”

Explain.

BU Research: A Riddle Reveals Depth of Gender Bias

I failed this when someone asked me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
14-02-2015, 03:11 PM
If Rotten Tomatoes is anything to go by (27% currently), it sucks, and I don't like it when sucky things make money. That's my only concern with that movie right now.

On a side note, I just want to acknowledge the existence of this parody poster;

[Image: 15804372723_0d8e479350_o.jpg]

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 4 users Like CleverUsername's post
14-02-2015, 04:03 PM
(14-02-2015 03:10 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 12:15 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Uhm Consider that sounds a bit far-fetched. I'm sure that some individuals might be easier to "manipulate" but if you were referring to the teen years, your critical reasoning skills should ensure that you don't believe everything literally in a tv series.

Actually it's not far fetched. It works because it is subtle and you do not conscously realise that you are forming unconscious expectations of the world.

As an example:

A father and son are in a horrible car crash that kills the dad. The son is rushed to the hospital; just as he’s about to go under the knife, the surgeon says, “I can’t operate—that boy is my son!”

Explain.

Lol. I'm always amazed by how many people are stumped by this "riddle." I'm certainly no genius but I got that one the instant I was asked.
14-02-2015, 04:20 PM
(14-02-2015 04:03 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 03:10 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Actually it's not far fetched. It works because it is subtle and you do not conscously realise that you are forming unconscious expectations of the world.

As an example:

Explain.

Lol. I'm always amazed by how many people are stumped by this "riddle." I'm certainly no genius but I got that one the instant I was asked.

Well when I failed to get the answer, I was picturing the events in the riddle. A man and his son dying in the car crash. A typical image of a surgeon as portrayed on TV looking down at the patient etc.

Which leads to my point about where those images came from and how they influenced my thinking.
14-02-2015, 04:55 PM
(14-02-2015 04:20 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 04:03 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Lol. I'm always amazed by how many people are stumped by this "riddle." I'm certainly no genius but I got that one the instant I was asked.

Well when I failed to get the answer, I was picturing the events in the riddle. A man and his son dying in the car crash. A typical image of a surgeon as portrayed on TV looking down at the patient etc.

Which leads to my point about where those images came from and how they influenced my thinking.

In 2008, 21% of active US surgeons were female. 37.5% of surgical fellows/residents were female.
http://www.acshpri.org/documents/ACSHPRI...pr2010.pdf

I have personally never encountered a female cardiothoracic or trauma surgeon. Outside of OB, I have encountered one female orthopedic surgeon and one plastic surgeon.

Now that I'm a free agent, my goal is trauma surgery Big Grin

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
14-02-2015, 04:59 PM
(14-02-2015 04:55 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 04:20 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Well when I failed to get the answer, I was picturing the events in the riddle. A man and his son dying in the car crash. A typical image of a surgeon as portrayed on TV looking down at the patient etc.

In 2008, 21% of active US surgeons were female. 37.5% of surgical fellows/residents were female.
http://www.acshpri.org/documents/ACSHPRI...pr2010.pdf

I have personally never encountered a female cardiothoracic or trauma surgeon. Outside of OB, I have encountered one female orthopedic surgeon and one plastic surgeon.

Now that I'm a free agent, my goal is trauma surgery Big Grin

My oncology surgeon was female, as was the medical oncologist I followed up with and the doctor who diagnosed and biopsied me. Plastic was a man and all the other women I know who had mastectomies and reconstruction had male plastic surgeons. Wonder why that is?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
14-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Quote:There are women who are protesting

Of course they are.. Dodgy

Anyone seen Gone Girl?
I don't wanna ruin it for those that haven't seen it (because it's a pretty good movie, worth a watch) but let's just say that I bet the same women that are protesting this movie and not protesting Gone Girl. Double standards are rife with people like that. Bitches gonna bitch.

[Image: oscar.png]
14-02-2015, 05:50 PM
(14-02-2015 03:10 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 12:15 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  Uhm Consider that sounds a bit far-fetched. I'm sure that some individuals might be easier to "manipulate" but if you were referring to the teen years, your critical reasoning skills should ensure that you don't believe everything literally in a tv series.

As an example:

Explain.

Easy. The boy has two dads because he was adopted by a gay couple.

Cool

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
14-02-2015, 05:57 PM
(14-02-2015 05:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Of course they are.. Dodgy

Anyone seen Gone Girl?
I don't wanna ruin it for those that haven't seen it (because it's a pretty good movie, worth a watch) but let's just say that I bet the same women that are protesting this movie and not protesting Gone Girl. Double standards are rife with people like that. Bitches gonna bitch.

I already ruined everything in it for myself month ago; what's in there that makes it not being protested a double standard?

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
15-02-2015, 05:07 AM
(14-02-2015 05:57 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(14-02-2015 05:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Of course they are.. Dodgy

Anyone seen Gone Girl?

I already ruined everything in it for myself month ago; what's in there that makes it not being protested a double standard?

Because the man is being abused by his wife. Rape, living in fear etc.. etc..
It's actual abuse. At least Fifty Shades of Grey is mutual "oh yes spank me harder" sort of abuse.

[Image: oscar.png]