Fight or flight vs medical treatment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 06:25 AM
RE: Fight or flight vs medical treatment
Taking needles, like those for blood, absolutely no problem. I even have to see it go in. But giving needles, like shots, numbing agents, I get panicked. Except one type, strangely so far: anesthetic ones.

My brain is one interesting playground.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
12-09-2012, 11:24 AM
RE: Fight or flight vs medical treatment
(12-09-2012 06:25 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Taking needles, like those for blood, absolutely no problem. I even have to see it go in. But giving needles, like shots, numbing agents, I get panicked. Except one type, strangely so far: anesthetic ones.

My brain is one interesting playground.

I had to take a combat life saver course in the military, which involved treating gun shot wounds, tourniqueting serious cuts, splinting broken limbs, dealing with shock, etc. We all had to practice giving each other iv drips, too. Everyone stuck each other at least 6 times since we could only practice on those present. Of course, we were all nervous because we had never done anything like that before. I was afraid that I was going to mess up, so that worry transferred to my hands. That's when the tip of the needle began to shake. It probably did not help the confidence of my living test dummies that I was doing a maniacal laugh while stabbing their veins with sharpened pieces of metal. I still remember how to do the procedure today, but I'm sure I would still get the shakes if I had to perform it now.

The instructor leading the class actually messed up while using me as a test dummy. He didn't pinch my vein enough with his thumb and forefinger, which caused a geyser of blood to squirt out of the uncovered end of the plastic stint. The only problem was that he was turned away from me explaining the procedure to the class. The blood pooled on the table that my arm was sitting on and then began to drain over the side. It happened so quick that it scared the shit out of me. I smacked his hand away and clamped it myself. He was higher ranking than me, but he understood why I did it. Now that I think about it, the shakes I had might have just been from loss of blood. Anyway, the whole situation was reminiscent of this:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post