Fighting with food

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Question Fighting with food
The topic "eating disorders" has become a part of live for me. Over the years, and not saying I have a disorder right now. I am not sure where to put this topic in my head. It is not important really, or maybe it is, it comes up over and over again.

Today I saw a few videos on the topic on youtube. And actually I felt very touched. One was about anorexic people and it is not like they painted a pityful picture of anorexic people in the videos I watched. It was a British documentary where they had two girls, 17 and 21 years old, who simply showed their life style and how they deal with people and this eating disorder. They also showed a few therapy possibilities and so on.

And I actually found myself in some of the things. When I lived on my own I wanted to lose weight so bad that I did weird stuff, and my live was only about food at that point. I ate less and less until I ate nothing. And when I ate, I was moving while doing so, walking, cleaning, whatever, just to burn off as much as possible while eating calories. I didn't have a lot of money at that point, and 4 pets who I wanted to be fed but I could still have eaten cheap stuff, I chose not to.
At some point I allowed myself one apple and one small white yoghurt a day. That was shortly before I stopped eating alltogether. During the time I lost a chunk of weight but I did not feel thinner or better or healthier.
When I was admitted to a hospital for my mental problems they told me that I have to make a choice because they will not have me in the clinic if I don't eat there. That is when I started eating again, because I knew that the food is not really my problem.

I still have this mindset about food. I am not thin at all, actually I just checked my BMI today and I am just over the line from normal to overweight. So I could really lose some weight. But I swore to myself that I'd rather be mentally well and have a few kilo too much than be skinny and miserable.
But still I feel bad for everything I eat unless it is veggies or fruit.

Also I know VERY WELL how to cook healthy, I have a good clue about calories and how many of those I should eat, I know how much meat is healthy per day and also per week. I simply ignore it most of the time, which is unhealthy and made me gain 5 kilos in the past 2 weeks... That's bad again, and might be the reason why the topic came up again. I find myself obsessing about food again and I am not sure where the border, to being mental about it, is. I think it is kinda normal to be more aware when you know you gained weight.
I am too lazy to excersize reall, so I am happy to have a dog now that needs a walk twice a day.

Not sure what I want to say or know.
I think I would just like to hear that I am not nuts the way I obsess about food.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
RE: Fighting with food
If you are going to obsess about food, then do it.

Make a rule that you HAVE to eat certain things before each meal.

These things will be healthy, low calorie and filling. You also HAVE to drink a tall glass of water half an hour before each meal.

So, essentially, you will eat a small meal of super healthy foods (make sure they are something you like) half an hour before you get to pig out.

That way you still enjoy some of the sinful stuff, but less of it and more of the good stuff. Over time, you will find that you eat less and less of the sinful stuff, and that you enjoy it more.

You can fill your need for obsession by watching over the things you have to eat, and the part of you that wants to indulge still gets the gooddies.

That is how I got to eating healthy without feeling deprived, and lost a bunch of weight as side effect.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
12-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Nah, and being obsessed with food is fun, at least when it's good food, which in your case is true. so enjoy.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
12-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Heh, I motivate myself to go running by only letting myself listen to TTA podcast when I run. Tongue
12-09-2012, 03:51 PM
@Dom: Thanks, very useful tips. I try to use them. Problem is and I know I can not trick myself like that. Let's say I am cooking dinner, something really nice like veggies and potatoes and sauce but half an hour before that I am eating salad. I LOOOOVE salad, I love every food, and I will prepare a family portion of salad, I will eat it all, and then I am not hungry to eat the nice meal that I prepared for dinner! So I don't get to cheat myself like that. I also know if I put the salad right on the table, I'll be the only one eating it and end up eating one bite steak, one potatoe and the whole salad. So again I don't get to eat the nice stuff really.

@Xinoftruden: I don't wanna double my weight o.O

@rook2004: Yes I used to be like that. I had some rules about doing stuff and eating. One was to do all the housework before breakfast. And when I was done, I was usually not hungry anymore. Also I am not good with running. it is a very dry climate here right now which means a lot of dust in the air, I have asthma and don't wanna trigger it like that. But we have weights here at home. I could start to do some weight lifiting and ABS or so... like with a rule again Big Grin Like a small workout (5 min long) before meals. lift a few weights, do a few situps and crunches... stuff like that.

12-09-2012, 04:00 PM
(12-09-2012 03:51 PM)Leela Wrote:  @rook2004: Yes I used to be like that. I had some rules about doing stuff and eating. One was to do all the housework before breakfast. And when I was done, I was usually not hungry anymore. Also I am not good with running. it is a very dry climate here right now which means a lot of dust in the air, I have asthma and don't wanna trigger it like that. But we have weights here at home. I could start to do some weight lifiting and ABS or so... like with a rule again Big Grin Like a small workout (5 min long) before meals. lift a few weights, do a few situps and crunches... stuff like that.

Doooooo iiiiit Smile
26-11-2012, 09:12 AM
Quick Tip from a fitness/nutritional advisor (for whatever it's worth):

Eating less food slows your metabolism to a crawl. Your body realizes it's taking in less calories, so it slows everything down in order to preserve as much as it possibly can. If you somehow find yourself in this state, any food that you do take in will immediately go into the reservation tank known as "fat". Your body will hold on to it to be used later when you stop eating again.

This is rather ironic, considering the logic of most with an eating disorder, which is "Less food = less fat". In reality, it's quite the opposite.

If you wish to keep your metabolism at a steady pace, you must eat healthy foods once every 2-3 hours, and keep yourself active. This doesn't mean "make yourself sweaty and out of breath as much as you can"; it simply means "active". Keep yourself fluid. You'll feel the difference both physically and emotionally. There's a reason the people you see walking into the gym look better than average. They also feel better than average. Their bodies are functioning in a way that is healthy; the way it's supposed to be.

Food is not the enemy. Used correctly, a massive dose of calories in one sitting can be exactly what your body needs. You simply need to make the necessary changes in your life to put yourself in a healthy place. I assure you, your mind will follow suit, and you'll overcome these unecessary and irrational fears.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
26-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I think, sometimes, that some people get tired of being told when to eat and how much...sometimes one can feel as if everyone acts as if they know better about what someone needs.

I sometimes feel that way..because I am with my father right now..he feels I should eat a certain amount and I feel that I should eat when my body says so and not a clock. I cannot cram food down my gullet the moment I get out of bed and I feel better eating one meal a day.

However instead of obsessing about food, try doing some research on the effects the chemicals and preservatives have on you. This does far more in helping you eat healthy that some book screeching at you about how and when to eat and how much.
Everyone is different and not everyone has the same needs or requirements.

Myself I prefer to eat only when it is required rather than forcing my body to take in food when it doesn't need it...I watch animals and find that they eat when they need to and not when a clock or some other bird says so. I watched little kids and noticed that -before the parents get to them- that they can have a sandwich, eat a quarter of it then put it away and go back maybe 15 minutes later and have another bite or two then it is off to play again.

Maybe we should rediscover that freedom again.

Ok..I am done aimlessly ranting. Smile

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
27-11-2012, 06:34 AM
Listen to what Misanthropik said and then let us review this statement, I think this is crucially important part:

Quote:I am too lazy to excersize reall, so I am happy to have a dog now that needs a walk twice a day.

Do I need to connect the dots?

So, combine the knowledge Misanthropik gave you and think about the things you want and how much effort you put into that. I think that you spent a whole deal of effort, but you have misplaced the subject of your efforts, where you were trying to eat less and less, you never actually did the right thing.

I think of it as a military based training, never give up, never surrender. You want something? You can do it the easy way and you can do it the right way. You already tried the easy way and it does not work. Now, why don't you enjoy all the food you like but try doing something, preferably under supervision of someone who know what and how to do it and then start working out. Eat and work out. You know, the natural way of making your body fat free.

My friends who live in the village part of Croatia would tell you to "go get yourself a hoe or a shovel, do some digging, fuck this fitness stuff and diets, dig, plant, work on the field..."

Get it?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
29-11-2012, 05:30 PM
I guess all I needed was a reset of my eating habits.
Since I had my four weeks of very low calory food, and learning about what is in the food and how many calories everything has, things look good.
I am off that 1200 cal diet right now but I am still losing weight.

Basically what I do right now: No snacking at all, two meals a day, low fat products, only very little fat and oil in the cooking, nearly no sweets, but at least one fruit per day and at least one something vegetable per day.

Also I am pretty active because of the dog and because I live in a big house that needs to stay kinda clean.

So looking good. during the last 5 weeks since the "reset" I lost 4 Kilos, I think that is a good result so far.

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post