Fill in the blank = Addiction

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2012, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 01:19 PM by kim.)
Fill in the blank = Addiction
For the sake of empathy, I had to seriously analyze the behavior of many friends, family, and people I work with who still just give me the blank, deer-in-the-headlight look when I remind them that I'm different

~Imagine~ … what it would be like to grow up in a household where, from a very early age, you were given a very small amount of _________. As you grew older, you're provided a little more and the amount sort of levels off, but it stays with you. You appreciate it, aren't opposed to it, and you mostly like it. You are told and agree it's a part of a healthy life and you grow up with the understanding that everyone has it -in some form or another. Even though you may have only been indifferent to it at best, everyone has it; that's just the way it is.
Then one day, someone you know or might be close to you, tells you they don't do it anymore. This is completely impossible to wrap your head around. You've heard about people who've done this; you've also heard giving it up can make them sick, and they probably just want to turn themselves into someone who thinks they are better than you. They don't realize that it's necessary and once they find out what they are missing, they'll come back to it. But they don't come back; oh, they're around, but it's not the same even though they act the same. The very thought of it is just not normal -you constantly tell them this, but they are just stubborn. They say they never really thought much about it, it was easy to give up, and they feel fine -great in fact. WTF?

Fill in the blank with the word heroin and it's easy to be amused at the absurdity and head to another thread.
Fill in the blank with the word meat and it's a true story I like to call, Hi, I'm a Vegetarian.
Fill in the blank with the word God, and it could easily be the story of many people on this forum.
I find it difficult to contemplate religion without thinking of it as an addiction. Addiction and everything that surrounds it, becomes part of the addiction itself… that's why it is so difficult for people to accept it's absence. It's difficult to break away and difficult to keep it away, because it's everywhere.

The religious are heavily invested in this soap-opera surrounding their addiction.
Empathy has been my key to understanding.

Any thoughts? (on religious addiction or any addiction)
How do you cope with your loved one's addiction?
Do you see something in the religious which might be viewed as addictive behavior?
What is your reaction to the paranoia of an addicted stranger? (They suspect you of very outlandish things)
Indoctrination = purposeful addiction Dodgy (thank you = AbdelZ)

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like kim's post
11-01-2012, 12:50 PM
RE: [b]Fill in the blank = Addiction[/b]
^^^ = A lot for me to think about = I like the concept so far = Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
RE: Fill in the blank = Addiction
Good post!

Quote:How do you cope with your loved one's addiction?

For the most part I don't really talk to them about it. Except my dad. My brother was a little confused when I told him I am an atheist, which surprised me because he's really not religious. I would have thought he would have been like, "Finally!" But the conversation seemed to make him uncomfortable. It seems to make a lot of people I've talked to uncomfortable.

Quote:Do you see something in the religious which might be viewed as addictive behavior?

I've never thought of it in these terms, but it's very a astute observation. Yes, I think some of the religious behaviors are addictive, though probably not physically. A person can be depressed or fearful if they miss their weekly church service. They can feel disjointed and off-balance, perhaps even irritable. I recall that it really served to center people, even myself back in the day. I would feel refreshed and like I've accomplished something good for the week. Not every time though, sometimes I'd leave feeling guilty or condemned, depending on the sermon or my mood at the time I guess.

Quote:What is your reaction to the paranoia of an addicted stranger?

I have yet to encounter this situation. I don't go out much so I don't really talk to people on the street and most of my encounters are with people I know.

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
11-01-2012, 01:17 PM
(11-01-2012 01:07 PM)kineo Wrote:  
Quote:What is your reaction to the paranoia of an addicted stranger?

I have yet to encounter this situation. I don't go out much so I don't really talk to people on the street and most of my encounters are with people I know.

What about here?
Big Grin Ha! = The rabid AbdelZ comes to mind... or how about Ego r?

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Good thinking...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-01-2012, 04:28 PM
That's a good analogy.

People can be completely different persons when they're on religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Ben's post
11-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Addiction is a tendency of the mind. The mind is a fucking mess and the sooner the experts figure it out, the better of we'll be.

Paranoia? That's emotional context. You sane atheists can talk smack about faith, but I tell you whut; they don't come 'round here.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-01-2012, 02:43 AM
Any thoughts? (on religious addiction or any addiction)

Religious addiction has to be the worst thing humanity has ever done. Symptoms include: Unequal treatment of woman, Genocides, Murder, Rape, Baby killing, War, Hatred, Completely Abandoning Intelligence, Child Molesting Priests, Indoctrination, Witch Hunts, Homophobia, Discrimination, Abdelz.

These are all abominations to humanity!! (Joking about the last one, I still believe in humanity as a whole.)

How do you cope with your loved one's addiction?

I punch them repeatedly until they lose their faith.

In seriousness, I debate quite often excluding work. I just question, especially when its about discrimination and anger against fellow humans. I do not like hatred against any human based on things they cannot change. Gender, Sexuality, Skin color is all idiotic to me. I don't tolerate it.

I either have an uneasy friendship with some people or they understand my point and I understand theirs. They won't affect me and I won't affect them. I'm fine with those addicted as long as they keep their drug away from others who don't want it and from places where it shouldn't interfere.

Do you see something in the religious which might be viewed as addictive behavior?

Believing in nothing before you believe in yourself. It bothers me that people pray instead of accomplish things. Things won't be given to you, you must work for them. I had the strange experience of seeing this first hand. When I finally became Atheist I told all my close friends. Unfortunately me and my Mormom friend were both competing for the same job. I sometimes saw him pray for the job we were competing for(When I was invited for dinner as an example.). I didn't know if it should have offended me. In the end I got the job and he didn't. I still feel a bit sorry for him since his God didn't pull through but I believe I have made him question faith a bit more.

What is your reaction to the paranoia of an addicted stranger? (They suspect you of very outlandish things)

Not much to say rather than it usually doesn't end well.

Indoctrination = purposeful addiction (thank you = AbdelZ)

The most unfortunate thing that has ever happened to our youth. It disgusts me, keeping a human from having a free mind is horrendous. I couldn't think of ever making my children slaves to anything. If my children became Theist, I'd be completely fine as well. I just want them to choose. Parents apparently fear that. I, of course, will try to lead them to the right path but that is how much I should do. I should teach, I will never force.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 3 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
12-01-2012, 07:17 AM
About addiction in general:
Most important of course is to prevent it. I like some programs for prevention of addiction they have (or at least used to have) on some German schools. Like having people coming in talking about it (yes that actually does help). For example police officers or therapists, telling you about their work with addicted people.
When I was on secondary school we had a program where certain students would be there for other students that are addicted and don't want to talk to a teacher about it. I was selected as one and they sent me and the others to a workshop that explained in detail about addiction how it works, what to look out for and how to help on a basic level, places to turn to, etc.

I have always found it an interesting topic and when I started smoking I knew what I was doing (like most people who start any drug) and when I stopped smoking I also knew what is happening with my body and mind.
I wish such programs would be everywhere, it would make life a lot easier for people, especially those with an addictive personality.

About loved ones:
I have talked to my loved one about his addiction. I accept that he can't and/or doesn't want to stop. Not my decision to make. He knows my opinion about it and I know his. So it's fine so far.

About religious addiction:
I think it is one of the worst. Because it is just as difficult to stop this addiction as it is to stop substances.
And that is without taking anything, all on a psychological basis but just as effective.
That's very dangerous. People get killed by their religion. Be it killing yourself because of some dogma, or kill others because of religion, hurting people, acting against what is good and healthy. And they still feel good in their religion for some reason o.O
Leaving a religion can be more dangerous than quitting heroin in some cases. And I am not being over dramatic here, it is the sad truth.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
12-01-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't know if religion is an addiction, but it certainly is an emotional crutch. Just look at the palpable panic that assails some religious people when you start making sensible arguments against the existence of god. They get frantic, enraged, generally very distressed. I guess it's the same reaction an addict would have if you threatened to take away their fix?

English is not my first language. If you think I am being mean, ask me. It could be just a wording problem.