Final Fantasy X

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-01-2015, 01:40 AM
Final Fantasy X
I've been dusting off my PS2 and gave it a go and played FFX for the third playthrough. But this time I was paying very close attention to the story. It is short, but story seemed more like christian went atheist.
I specially got hit hard during the Yunalesca cutscene where they tried to get rid of sin <a huge monster> by attoning. Yunalesca asked if human could attain such purity. But by trying to attone people has hope, and without hope people would drown in sorrow.

Somehow, I could see our society working the same way, people pray to attone for their sins hoping god would forgive them but in reality he doesnt exist and the church use this to control the people.

Has anyone played the game and agree on me on this one?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2015, 02:29 PM
RE: Final Fantasy X
Haven't played it in years, but I might pick up the remastered version in the near future. I'll keep an eye out for this when it happens.

[Image: MegahentaiSignature_zps7c4b73b2.jpg]
02-08-2015, 11:59 PM
FF10 is one of my favorite RPG's of all time. Unfortunately my copy no longer works as PS2 games are designed to quit working after a few years. None of the tips I've read to get it working again has actually worked. I never really looked at the religious aspect of the game but it is certainly there. It is a world much like our world would like like if the Christian god actually existed. An evil and cruel world with people sacrificing themselves for pretty much no good at all. I'm glad it isn't the way the world really is. In a way that world of FF 10 would still be ideal over the world that would exist if the god of the bible existed because at least that evil deity is only in one or two places at once and has ways it can be fought against. The god of the bible would offer no hope at all for any reasonable person.
03-08-2015, 07:36 AM
I still have my original copy but I've not played it the last decade. was probably 14 when it came out and played it and right away I noticed the religious element to the game. I enjoyed how it unfolds because you really see that there are manipulations going on by those religious figures. There is a great seeing behind the curtain element to it and how people just accept the system because it gives them some temporary solace. That is even more revealed if you play FFX-2. This element was probably what i enjoyed most about the game.

There is some nice articles or maybe videos online I've seen about how there is a common trend across the Final Fantasies taking frequent types of swipes at the religious. FFX & Final Fantasy Tactics were the most explicit. FF Tactics is my favorite game of anything and I occasionally wonder how coincidental or not that factor is for me.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
03-08-2015, 11:02 AM
(16-01-2015 01:40 AM)darkmatter Wrote:  I've been dusting off my PS2 and gave it a go and played FFX for the third playthrough. But this time I was paying very close attention to the story. It is short, but story seemed more like christian went atheist.
I specially got hit hard during the Yunalesca cutscene where they tried to get rid of sin <a huge monster> by attoning. Yunalesca asked if human could attain such purity. But by trying to attone people has hope, and without hope people would drown in sorrow.

Somehow, I could see our society working the same way, people pray to attone for their sins hoping god would forgive them but in reality he doesnt exist and the church use this to control the people.

I saw the comparisons even as a kid playing them game, throughout the time where I was trying to figure out what or what I didn't believe in. The game is a classic and the story is well written, but it didn't age all that well in my opinion.

(19-01-2015 02:29 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  Haven't played it in years, but I might pick up the remastered version in the near future. I'll keep an eye out for this when it happens.

The remastered is an overpriced joke and scam for your money, my friend. If you played the PS2 version on a tv next to a tv with the remasted PS3 or even PS4 version, you'd cry yourself to sleep at night.

(02-08-2015 11:59 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  Unfortunately my copy no longer works as PS2 games are designed to quit working after a few years.

I beg to differ. I think that's just poor care. I have a collection dating back to 2000. Literally, the year the system came out my parents started buying my games out of the wazoo. I've kept every one of them in apparent condition, played the FUCK out of my Jak and Daxter, Spyro 1-3 and street fighter collections and they all still work today- I still play them to this day (praise for backwards compatible PS3's though.) My boyfriend and I still purchase PS2 games to add to our collection, and recently introduced all 4 Ape Escape NA releases, which are all used copies, but are in incredible condition and still play to this day.
03-08-2015, 09:59 PM
I haven't mistreated the game at all so I can't see how that would be it. I know that the PS2 systems are designed to fail after a few years and have had to buy several replacements. It just seems that the problem is pretty typical of the games too. Not at all like things Nintendo puts out that lasts for ages. I had an original NES (not SNES) and games for it that kept working for over 15 years. Not sure where that system is now. Far outlasted any PS2 stuff. Even Gamecube games far outlasted and they are disks too.

(03-08-2015 11:02 AM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(16-01-2015 01:40 AM)darkmatter Wrote:  I've been dusting off my PS2 and gave it a go and played FFX for the third playthrough. But this time I was paying very close attention to the story. It is short, but story seemed more like christian went atheist.

I saw the comparisons even as a kid playing them game, throughout the time where I was trying to figure out what or what I didn't believe in. The game is a classic and the story is well written, but it didn't age all that well in my opinion.

(19-01-2015 02:29 PM)MegaHentai Wrote:  Haven't played it in years, but I might pick up the remastered version in the near future. I'll keep an eye out for this when it happens.

The remastered is an overpriced joke and scam for your money, my friend. If you played the PS2 version on a tv next to a tv with the remasted PS3 or even PS4 version, you'd cry yourself to sleep at night.

(02-08-2015 11:59 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  Unfortunately my copy no longer works as PS2 games are designed to quit working after a few years.

I beg to differ. I think that's just poor care. I have a collection dating back to 2000. Literally, the year the system came out my parents started buying my games out of the wazoo. I've kept every one of them in apparent condition, played the FUCK out of my Jak and Daxter, Spyro 1-3 and street fighter collections and they all still work today- I still play them to this day (praise for backwards compatible PS3's though.) My boyfriend and I still purchase PS2 games to add to our collection, and recently introduced all 4 Ape Escape NA releases, which are all used copies, but are in incredible condition and still play to this day.
03-08-2015, 11:40 PM
It's more the laser reading device of the system that gets weak. The laser on the system will wear out likely more than a disc just by use. My initial ps2 even in it's era went out like that as the laser kept getting weaker and weaker, some discs could be read but some couldn't after awhile.

I don't think FFX didn't age well, I think it was kinda bad to begin with at least I felt so at the time. The story and connotations of what it was stating about the people and religious thoughts were the best part but many of the characters and ease of parts of the game made it weaker than many other games to me.

This is the video I mentioned before:

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-08-2015, 09:37 AM
FF X is a really mixed bag of a game. The story can be interesting at times... when it is not being incredibly stupid. A few of the characters are really interesting (Auron Yuna and Lulu) others are so dumb to be borderline unbearable (Tidus) and the rest fall into very cliched roles.

The games best feature and greatest downfall was the sphere grid leveling system. Man you could cheese the game with that and had to if you wanted to beat the optional end boss. Even with damage break on if you really maxed everyone out Lulu's doll hit for 999,999 damage so effectively getting smacked by a child's toy was just as powerful as Ultima.

Because of this endgame was nothing but Quickhit and the final boss of the story mode was an absolute joke. If you could get to Yu Yevon you will 1 shot him. It was a pretty game (still stand up really) and the sidequests/minigames were fun and took hundreds of hours to complete. Blitzball was a lot of fun if a bit (completely) nonsensical.

Overall I'd say FFX aged relatively well and would still give it an 8.5/10

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
04-08-2015, 07:58 PM
(04-08-2015 09:37 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  FF X is a really mixed bag of a game. The story can be interesting at times... when it is not being incredibly stupid. A few of the characters are really interesting (Auron Yuna and Lulu) others are so dumb to be borderline unbearable (Tidus) and the rest fall into very cliched roles.

The games best feature and greatest downfall was the sphere grid leveling system. Man you could cheese the game with that and had to if you wanted to beat the optional end boss. Even with damage break on if you really maxed everyone out Lulu's doll hit for 999,999 damage so effectively getting smacked by a child's toy was just as powerful as Ultima.

Because of this endgame was nothing but Quickhit and the final boss of the story mode was an absolute joke. If you could get to Yu Yevon you will 1 shot him. It was a pretty game (still stand up really) and the sidequests/minigames were fun and took hundreds of hours to complete. Blitzball was a lot of fun if a bit (completely) nonsensical.

Overall I'd say FFX aged relatively well and would still give it an 8.5/10

Almost everyone seems to not care much for Tidus. When you think about his role in the story though it actually makes perfect sense for him to act the way he does. of course Yuna is my favorite character in it. And then there is Twilight sparkle AKA Rikku. (Same voice actress).

I sure wish my game would work though. Maybe I'll have to get a PS3 and see if it works on it.
08-09-2015, 03:22 PM
I got the remake on Vita, 20 dollars for 2 lengthy JRPGs with nice gameplay is a bargain, even if one of them has a story that has more to do with Charlie's angels than Final Fantasy (and don't even mention X-2.5 unless you want me frothing). As for the original X, the concept of Sin obviously borrows from christianity, and the death and rebirth cycle (or "spiral of death" as called ingame) alludes to buddhism. The end, however, seems similar to me to many Shin Megami Tensei games, with the demystification of the thought-before gods into (former) humans.