Finally Finished My Review of "The Shack"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Finally Finished My Review of "The Shack"
Just finished posting my review of The Shack by William P. Young. Not my favorite book for lots of reasons. This book has permanently changed my view of religion in a negative way, and I don't think that was the author's intent. Check out the review at: http://www.thenovelreport.com/BSPbookreviews.html

[Image: cover_shack1-198x300.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Egor's post
23-05-2012, 12:23 PM
RE: Finally Finished My Review of "The Shack"
Wow Egor, the video review was great Smile You come across very reasonable and articulate. Good job !
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
23-05-2012, 12:25 PM
(23-05-2012 11:29 AM)Egor Wrote:  Just finished posting my review of The Shack by William P. Young. Not my favorite book for lots of reasons. This book has permanently changed my view of religion in a negative way, and I don't think that was the author's intent. Check out the review at: http://www.thenovelreport.com/BSPbookreviews.html
Interesting, I've not read this book but I read your review and as reviews go, I found it informative. (Helpful: didacticism is not a word- "didactic dialogue" would be correct)

I probably won't read this book but your review did stir my curiosity -which is what a review is supposed to do. Interesting isn't it that it was very accepted by both Theists as well as non-Theists? Makes you think about perspective, huh? Yes

It looks as though you are also developing a bit of a writing style... not an easy accomplishment. I think it's great you are branching out, and I think writing is a great way to get your ideas both into focus and out there. I think you'll do well and I'll enjoy seeing progress on the site and in your writing. Thumbsup

As for your penultimate comment: "In this respect it’s is very much like another poorly-written religious book, The Celestine Prophecy."

I soooooooo fucking agree; that Celestine Prophecy was so poorly written I thought I was going to puke when people were saying it was a masterpiece! WTF?!?! Content aside, it was pretty much { He went over to the stone. She saw him go to the stone. When he came back, he told her he saw something at the stone. }

What a load of literary shit. Egor, trust me... please do NOT let your writing SUCK like that!
I'm pretty sure I felt my retina bleed while slogging through that mundane hooey. Dodgy

I noticed the videos and I'll have to get around to watching them another time. We are having wind today and that seriously screws with my wifi. Fucking Kansas.

I see you still feel (or felt at the time of writing your review) that God is a reality. That can be a bit of a confusing state, but you expressed this confusion quite well. It shows that your writing can be a very strong, and positive element in organizing your thoughts.
Not a lot of people have this ability to translate thoughts to words ... or actually... some might have this ability, but are just a too self conscious to develop it. You are jumping into it.

Good Job, Egor. Thumbsup

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
23-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Watched the vid and read your review- good stuff! The audio was not in stereo, though, so it was a little difficult to hear. Other than that, great review!

Godzilla Kitten, Directed by J.J. Abrams
[Image: Kineoprojectfinished3_zps79916ea4.jpg]
23-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I haven't read the book, but from what you described it does sound perverse. Thanks for reading it so I don't have to.

And great review.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
23-05-2012, 10:39 PM

(23-05-2012 12:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  Wow Egor, the video review was great Smile You come across very reasonable and articulate. Good job !

Thanks, Dog. I am getting back into doing reviews, so hopefully the videos will get more polished over time.
23-05-2012, 10:48 PM

(23-05-2012 12:25 PM)kim Wrote:  
(23-05-2012 11:29 AM)Egor Wrote:  Just finished posting my review of The Shack by William P. Young. Not my favorite book for lots of reasons. This book has permanently changed my view of religion in a negative way, and I don't think that was the author's intent. Check out the review at: http://www.thenovelreport.com/BSPbookreviews.html
Interesting, I've not read this book but I read your review and as reviews go, I found it informative. (Helpful: didacticism is not a word- "didactic dialogue" would be correct)

I probably won't read this book but your review did stir my curiosity -which is what a review is supposed to do. Interesting isn't it that it was very accepted by both Theists as well as non-Theists? Makes you think about perspective, huh? Yes

It looks as though you are also developing a bit of a writing style... not an easy accomplishment. I think it's great you are branching out, and I think writing is a great way to get your ideas both into focus and out there. I think you'll do well and I'll enjoy seeing progress on the site and in your writing. Thumbsup

As for your penultimate comment: "In this respect it’s is very much like another poorly-written religious book, The Celestine Prophecy."

I soooooooo fucking agree; that Celestine Prophecy was so poorly written I thought I was going to puke when people were saying it was a masterpiece! WTF?!?! Content aside, it was pretty much { He went over to the stone. She saw him go to the stone. When he came back, he told her he saw something at the stone. }

What a load of literary shit. Egor, trust me... please do NOT let your writing SUCK like that!
I'm pretty sure I felt my retina bleed while slogging through that mundane hooey. Dodgy

I noticed the videos and I'll have to get around to watching them another time. We are having wind today and that seriously screws with my wifi. Fucking Kansas.

I see you still feel (or felt at the time of writing your review) that God is a reality. That can be a bit of a confusing state, but you expressed this confusion quite well. It shows that your writing can be a very strong, and positive element in organizing your thoughts.
Not a lot of people have this ability to translate thoughts to words ... or actually... some might have this ability, but are just a too self conscious to develop it. You are jumping into it.

Good Job, Egor. Thumbsup

Thanks, Kim. Kansas, huh? I lived in Northeastern Colorado for a number of years. I know the terrain.

Now, for the record, didacticism spell checks in Word, and it's also in Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (11th ed.).

And of course I believe God is a reality. I'll never be an atheist, Kim. I'm sorry that you feel the need to be one. It may not matter that much in the end, but there may be many things you won't be able to do on your lucid spiritual plane as a result of denying the idea of God and the spiritual world. It may even mean reincarnation. But that's just my take on it.

Toodaloo.

Ed
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
23-05-2012, 10:52 PM

(23-05-2012 01:00 PM)kineo Wrote:  Watched the vid and read your review- good stuff! The audio was not in stereo, though, so it was a little difficult to hear. Other than that, great review!

Thank you, and yes, we noticed that, but we couldn't do anything about it this time. Censored Our stereo mike makes a hum, but we think we can fix that by hanging it down from the ceiling instead of setting it on a table. The next video for "The Innocent" will fix that problem one way or another. I may even go out and buy a better mike.
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
23-05-2012, 10:53 PM

(23-05-2012 03:42 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I haven't read the book, but from what you described it does sound perverse. Thanks for reading it so I don't have to.

And great review.

See! That's what I'm here for. Smile
23-05-2012, 11:51 PM
(23-05-2012 10:48 PM)Egor Wrote:  Now, for the record, didacticism spell checks in Word, and it's also in Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary (11th ed.).
Ha -yea, sorry bout that! I got to thinking about that after I posted it... I thought it looked right but then, I thought maybe I put it into my desktop dictionary incorrectly.(I did) I didn't have time to checked it again. Oh well, at least one of us has their shit together. Blush Laughat
(23-05-2012 10:48 PM)Egor Wrote:  And of course I believe God is a reality. I'll never be an atheist, Kim. I'm sorry that you feel the need to be one. It may not matter that much in the end, but there may be many things you won't be able to do on your lucid spiritual plane as a result of denying the idea of God and the spiritual world. It may even mean reincarnation. But that's just my take on it.
Oh, I have no problem with Theists, most especially if they have no problem with non-Theists. I only mentioned it because it seemed fairly prominent in your review. As such, I thought you expressed it in quite a balanced way.

Reincarnation has always been an interesting subject - Pythagorus, Plato, and Socrates all believed in reincarnation and even the Tao talks about it, in a way. And of course, Vedanta(Upanishads). I studied Vedas for quite a while -I've always done yoga and it seemed a natural thing to check out. So... yes, I know of a God as infinite existence, infinite consciousness, and infinite bliss as well as the Atman (divine part of self)-never born so will it never die. Like I said; interesting. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.