Finally Seeing a Therapist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Finally Seeing a Therapist
So one of my teachers talked me into seeing the college therapist. Had my first session on Wednesday and I am not really sure I like it. I feel embarrassed to go and extremely paranoid while I'm in the session. She is not doing anything wrong, I just don't like when she takes notes (even though I realize it is part of the process). Feels like I am an experiment or something. I am also much more aware of my parents asking me questions like "Why are you always so tired?" or "Are you sure you're okay?" to the point of being self conscious about it. Is this normal?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2015, 06:25 PM
RE: Finally Seeing a Therapist
Give the counseling a chance. The first session is a little rough - you both have to get to know each other. A good counselor/therapist can really be helpful. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-04-2015, 06:52 PM
Don't worry about "normal". Whatever feelings you have about it are normal. And don't be afraid to tell the therapist about these feelings you're having. Part of the process of therapy is learning to trust and be honest with your therapist. Their number one goal is to help you deal with the things that trouble you.

Why are you feeling embarrassed? Just the fact that you're going? It is nothing to be embarrassed about, and that embarrassment keeps so many people from getting the help they need. I can't think of a single person that couldn't benefit from a few sessions. Nothing to be ashamed about. If you had cancer, would you be embarrassed to go to the doctor? If depression is something you're dealing with it is a medical condition like any other that needs treated.

I'm glad you agreed to try it out, and I really hoped it goes well.

One last note. If you don't like your experience with this therapist, remember that like in any relationship, some people just don't click. Sometimes you just need to try a new one. There are many forms of therapy. Sometimes finding a therapist you like who uses techniques that fit your needs is all it comes down to.

Hug
[+] 8 users Like Smercury44's post
10-04-2015, 06:58 PM
(10-04-2015 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Why are you feeling embarrassed?
Mixed feelings. Mostly because I do not want people to know and yeah, the fact that I have resorted to going kinda feels like a failure on my part I suppose.

(10-04-2015 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  One last note. If you don't like your experience with this therapist, remember that like in any relationship, some people just don't click. Sometimes you just need to try a new one.
Ha. Tell that to one I fucked with in Jr. High (in my defense, I was forced to go).

(10-04-2015 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Hug
Hug

Atir aissom atir imon
10-04-2015, 07:04 PM
No failure, Ryan. Deciding to go is really hard - I know. Even as open minded as I am about therapy I still had inklings of feelings like yours about it. Deciding to go is actually an achievement. A huge hurdle overcome toward the goal of being a healthier you.
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
10-04-2015, 10:37 PM
(10-04-2015 06:23 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So one of my teachers talked me into seeing the college therapist. Had my first session on Wednesday and I am not really sure I like it. I feel embarrassed to go and extremely paranoid while I'm in the session. She is not doing anything wrong, I just don't like when she takes notes (even though I realize it is part of the process). Feels like I am an experiment or something. I am also much more aware of my parents asking me questions like "Why are you always so tired?" or "Are you sure you're okay?" to the point of being self conscious about it. Is this normal?

Yes, it's normal. At least it was for me.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2015, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys

Atir aissom atir imon
11-04-2015, 04:35 PM
(10-04-2015 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Don't worry about "normal". Whatever feelings you have about it are normal. And don't be afraid to tell the therapist about these feelings you're having. Part of the process of therapy is learning to trust and be honest with your therapist. Their number one goal is to help you deal with the things that trouble you.

Why are you feeling embarrassed? Just the fact that you're going? It is nothing to be embarrassed about, and that embarrassment keeps so many people from getting the help they need. I can't think of a single person that couldn't benefit from a few sessions. Nothing to be ashamed about. If you had cancer, would you be embarrassed to go to the doctor? If depression is something you're dealing with it is a medical condition like any other that needs treated.

And ain't that the truth. The ongoing stigmatisation of mental healthcare has caused a fuckton of undue suffering in modern societies.

... this is my signature!
[+] 10 users Like cjlr's post
20-04-2015, 02:04 AM
I saw a therapist for the first time a few weeks ago and I also felt really paranoid talking to her, like saying the slightest thing would have me marked as "dangerously crazy". It made me feel like jumping up and running out. I actually cried/kept tearing up in the middle of talking at one point :o it was because I couldn't believe I was telling a total stranger about things I don't talk about to other people (I don't really get out and talk to many people in the first place, which is sort of why Im seeking help)

So I'd say I did worse than you Tongue

About your other question, maybe you're realizing that your parents might also try to analyze how you're feeling like a therapist would? They seem a little concerned, which I understand can be a hassle if you don't like to talk to them about problems and get them worried, I don't like to talk to mine about problems, either... But they just want to make sure you're okay.
[+] 1 user Likes Philanthropic Misanthrope's post
20-04-2015, 02:49 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 03:41 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(10-04-2015 06:23 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So one of my teachers talked me into seeing the college therapist. Had my first session on Wednesday and I am not really sure I like it. I feel embarrassed to go and extremely paranoid while I'm in the session. She is not doing anything wrong, I just don't like when she takes notes (even though I realize it is part of the process). Feels like I am an experiment or something. I am also much more aware of my parents asking me questions like "Why are you always so tired?" or "Are you sure you're okay?" to the point of being self conscious about it. Is this normal?

I'd be more concerned if she wasn't taking notes, as I would be afraid then that they weren't taking me or my problems seriously. Am I not important enough to document? Are my issues not worthy of notation for later reference or clarification? It's like the fellow students in your classes, the ones not taking notes probably aren't the most dedicated ones in the room.

Therapy takes time, you cannot expect to get cogent advice tailored to your personal experience from someone who knows nothing about you. The more honest you are, the clearer the picture they can get, the more pertinent advice they can give.

It kinda reminds me of this ER anecdote.

[Image: dUk8G.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post