Finally Seeing a Therapist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
20-04-2015, 06:38 AM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2015 03:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Finally Seeing a Therapist
(11-04-2015 04:35 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 06:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Don't worry about "normal". Whatever feelings you have about it are normal. And don't be afraid to tell the therapist about these feelings you're having. Part of the process of therapy is learning to trust and be honest with your therapist. Their number one goal is to help you deal with the things that trouble you.

Why are you feeling embarrassed? Just the fact that you're going? It is nothing to be embarrassed about, and that embarrassment keeps so many people from getting the help they need. I can't think of a single person that couldn't benefit from a few sessions. Nothing to be ashamed about. If you had cancer, would you be embarrassed to go to the doctor? If depression is something you're dealing with it is a medical condition like any other that needs treated.

And ain't that the truth. The ongoing stigmatisation of mental healthcare has caused a fuckton of undue suffering in modern societies.

There's an adolescent mental health unit at the med center I work at. I signed up for this volunteer program as they need a few people to accompany them when they go out for recreation times. We teach them tennis and play baseball, etc .. just normal kid stuff, and I know nothing about their "cases" or histories. Most of them are perfectly "normal" and I always think "Damn, .. you poor kid, it's not YOUR fault your brain's electrical / chemical pathways are screwed up."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-04-2015, 01:46 PM
(10-04-2015 06:23 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So one of my teachers talked me into seeing the college therapist. Had my first session on Wednesday and I am not really sure I like it. I feel embarrassed to go and extremely paranoid while I'm in the session. She is not doing anything wrong, I just don't like when she takes notes (even though I realize it is part of the process). Feels like I am an experiment or something. I am also much more aware of my parents asking me questions like "Why are you always so tired?" or "Are you sure you're okay?" to the point of being self conscious about it. Is this normal?

wow, you're pretty brave. i have felt the need to go to a therapist for the longest time due to depression and social anxiety, but i could never tell my fundie christian parents about this. they would write it off as some demon bs or something like that.
i'll be going off to college soon (in a few weeks) and i really want to try out the counseling services there, but i'm really nervous about talking about myself. i'm afraid to find out that there is something wrong with me or worse (that nothing is really wrong with me and it's all in my head...) Undecided
20-04-2015, 02:16 PM
(20-04-2015 01:46 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  
(10-04-2015 06:23 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  So one of my teachers talked me into seeing the college therapist. Had my first session on Wednesday and I am not really sure I like it. I feel embarrassed to go and extremely paranoid while I'm in the session. She is not doing anything wrong, I just don't like when she takes notes (even though I realize it is part of the process). Feels like I am an experiment or something. I am also much more aware of my parents asking me questions like "Why are you always so tired?" or "Are you sure you're okay?" to the point of being self conscious about it. Is this normal?

wow, you're pretty brave. i have felt the need to go to a therapist for the longest time due to depression and social anxiety, but i could never tell my fundie christian parents about this. they would write it off as some demon bs or something like that.
i'll be going off to college soon (in a few weeks) and i really want to try out the counseling services there, but i'm really nervous about talking about myself. i'm afraid to find out that there is something wrong with me or worse (that nothing is really wrong with me and it's all in my head...) Undecided

There are counselors in high school as well, work pretty much the same way...except they can force you into a session like they did with me Dodgy

Atir aissom atir imon
20-04-2015, 02:22 PM
(20-04-2015 02:04 AM)Philanthropic Misanthrope Wrote:  I saw a therapist for the first time a few weeks ago and I also felt really paranoid talking to her, like saying the slightest thing would have me marked as "dangerously crazy".

Yeah, similar reasoning I suppose, except it kinda makes me mad, not fearful. Then I get to thinking what it is I said and start guessing at her intentions. I'm pretty accurate so far lol

(20-04-2015 02:04 AM)Philanthropic Misanthrope Wrote:  About your other question, maybe you're realizing that your parents might also try to analyze how you're feeling like a therapist would? They seem a little concerned, which I understand can be a hassle if you don't like to talk to them about problems and get them worried, I don't like to talk to mine about problems, either... But they just want to make sure you're okay.

I agree, it was just odd timing. I'm used to the same questions, but it had become more frequent and more... Hmm... On point? Like they had been tipped off.

Atir aissom atir imon
20-04-2015, 02:26 PM
(20-04-2015 02:49 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'd be more concerned if she wasn't taking notes, as I would be afraid then that they weren't taking me or my problems seriously. Am I not important enough to document? Are my issues not worthy of notation for later reference or clarification? It's like the fellow students in your classes, the ones not taking notes probably aren't the most dedicated ones in the room.

Therapy takes time, you cannot expect to get cogent advice tailored to your personal experience from someone who knows nothing about you. The more honest you are, the clearer the picture they can get, the more pertinent advice they can give.

It kinda reminds me of this ER anecdote.

[Image: dUk8G.jpg]

Fair points, there are just some things I'd rather stay buried. Nice anecdote, had something similar in the hospital I used to work at.

Atir aissom atir imon
21-04-2015, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2015 10:20 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-04-2015 02:26 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Fair points, there are just some things I'd rather stay buried.

That's entirely your call, brother. I don't do talk therapy myself. Airing of grievances doesn't interest or help me. I'm more of a "Let's get this pharmaceutical cocktail right." kinda guy. Now for ManlyGirl, she says the airing of grievances is quite beneficial. I'd give talk therapy a trial run. If it ain't for you then fuck it and kick it to the curb. At least that's what I did going on some 40 years ago now.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post