Finally, .... an HIV vaccine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2017, 03:58 PM
RE: Finally, .... an HIV vaccine.
I really hope this is true, because it's amazing if so. Faith in humanity, +1 until Big Pharma tries to price it out of the reach of almost everyone.

(Mylan Pharmaceuticals, not the company from this, but makers of the EpiPen and the scandal surrounding its pricing, has a giant facility 30 minutes from where I grew up. This my lack of faith in pharmaceutical companies doing the right thing.)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
24-05-2017, 04:22 PM
(24-05-2017 03:58 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I really hope this is true, because it's amazing if so. Faith in humanity, +1 until Big Pharma tries to price it out of the reach of almost everyone.

(Mylan Pharmaceuticals, not the company from this, but makers of the EpiPen and the scandal surrounding its pricing, has a giant facility 30 minutes from where I grew up. This my lack of faith in pharmaceutical companies doing the right thing.)

I'm all for them making a profit on the drugs because if they didn't, they wouldn't be as motivated to find a cure. Let's face it, people are motivated by money. However, the price needs to be managed somehow to make it available to people. Dying because the drug was too expensive is fucked up.
Find all posts by this user
24-05-2017, 04:41 PM
The pharmaceutical industry is the most profitable industry in the US. Their ROI is in the 20's (the last time I saw the list). They *deduct* all their research expenses from their taxes. So to say they "need to be paid" for their efforts, is dishonest. In a sense they are paid twice. One with the deduction, once with their huge profits.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
24-05-2017, 04:55 PM
(24-05-2017 04:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The pharmaceutical industry is the most profitable industry in the US. Their ROI is in the 20's (the last time I saw the list). They *deduct* all their research expenses from their taxes. So to say they "need to be paid" for their efforts, is dishonest. In a sense they are paid twice. One with the deduction, once with their huge profits.

I agree with you. The amount of profit they make is way too much. There is no sense in it. Laws need to change to discourage the unethical price gouging.
24-05-2017, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a good start. We've seen vaccines that generate good immune response only to be disappointed in the vaccine's efficacy to prevent infection. We are after trying to use the immune system to defeat a virus that attacks the immune system. But all progress likes this furthers our understanding and will one day lead to an effective vaccine.
24-05-2017, 09:03 PM
(24-05-2017 08:59 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Sounds like a good start. We've seen vaccines that generate good immune response only to be disappointed in the vaccine's efficacy to prevent infection. We are after trying to use the immune system to defeat a virus that attacks the immune system. But all progress likes this furthers our understanding and will one day lead to an effective vaccine.

The article claims it does both- prevents infection AND neutralizes the virus of those who are infected.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
24-05-2017, 09:08 PM
(24-05-2017 09:03 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 08:59 PM)BryanS Wrote:  Sounds like a good start. We've seen vaccines that generate good immune response only to be disappointed in the vaccine's efficacy to prevent infection. We are after trying to use the immune system to defeat a virus that attacks the immune system. But all progress likes this furthers our understanding and will one day lead to an effective vaccine.

The article claims it does both- prevents infection AND neutralizes the virus of those who are infected.

That's the goal at any rate. So far, according to the company press release, they have completed their testing on the immune response. So that means they have gotten past safety testing, and now immune response testing. Hopefully the next phase of testing will show it can prevent/treat infection. After several false hopes over the year, just saying we should be cautiously optimistic.
[+] 2 users Like BryanS's post
25-05-2017, 05:27 AM
So, nearly a decade after my sex life ended, they come out with this new-fangled HIV vaccine. That figures! Facepalm
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
25-05-2017, 06:58 AM
(25-05-2017 05:27 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  So, nearly a decade after my sex life ended, they come out with this new-fangled HIV vaccine. That figures! Facepalm

Wait, you're not dead, obviously!

So, why would your sex life be?
25-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Ah yes, the GOP's fault this hasn't been developed sooner. SMH.

As for big Pharma profit, I don't work for big pharma but I do have more than basic knowledge from my work experience and for every successful drug there are 10-20 utter failures that never ever make a dime for them. What is the appropriate profit? I don't know. Could it be less, maybe, maybe not. The Epipen is certainly an extreme example and they were smacked down for it.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley