Finally, .... an HIV vaccine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-05-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Finally, .... an HIV vaccine.
(25-05-2017 11:00 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Ah yes, the GOP's fault this hasn't been developed sooner. SMH.

As for big Pharma profit, I don't work for big pharma but I do have more than basic knowledge from my work experience and for every successful drug there are 10-20 utter failures that never ever make a dime for them. What is the appropriate profit? I don't know. Could it be less, maybe, maybe not. The Epipen is certainly an extreme example and they were smacked down for it.

The thing is, big pharma funds very little research from scratch. Most new drugs/drug compounds are discovered and patented by the researcher. S/he then starts a company and goes about finding venture capital to fund the required studies. Once they've had a successful Phase I or Phase II study, said venture capital partners market the drug's potential to big pharma. They purchase the startup company, usually for billions, and then finish up the trials and FDA approval and bring it to market. These occasionally fail/don't get approval but at this point in the process it's a pretty sure thing.

It could be argued that the purchase price encompasses the sunk cost of research, but only for that particular drug. All the failures never get bought and it's the venture capital firms that take the risk and the hit, not big pharma.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stefan Mayerschoff's post
26-05-2017, 07:28 AM
(25-05-2017 11:23 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 11:00 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  Ah yes, the GOP's fault this hasn't been developed sooner. SMH.

As for big Pharma profit, I don't work for big pharma but I do have more than basic knowledge from my work experience and for every successful drug there are 10-20 utter failures that never ever make a dime for them. What is the appropriate profit? I don't know. Could it be less, maybe, maybe not. The Epipen is certainly an extreme example and they were smacked down for it.

The thing is, big pharma funds very little research from scratch. Most new drugs/drug compounds are discovered and patented by the researcher. S/he then starts a company and goes about finding venture capital to fund the required studies. Once they've had a successful Phase I or Phase II study, said venture capital partners market the drug's potential to big pharma. They purchase the startup company, usually for billions, and then finish up the trials and FDA approval and bring it to market. These occasionally fail/don't get approval but at this point in the process it's a pretty sure thing.

It could be argued that the purchase price encompasses the sunk cost of research, but only for that particular drug. All the failures never get bought and it's the venture capital firms that take the risk and the hit, not big pharma.

In this case, the research was government funded, to tune of $41 million.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
26-05-2017, 08:17 AM
(25-05-2017 06:58 AM)Stefan Mayerschoff Wrote:  
(25-05-2017 05:27 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  So, nearly a decade after my sex life ended, they come out with this new-fangled HIV vaccine. That figures! Facepalm

Wait, you're not dead, obviously!

So, why would your sex life be?

> I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2008 and had to undergo a radical prostatectomy, not to mention the vicissitudes of approaching old age. Blush
26-05-2017, 09:01 AM
(24-05-2017 03:58 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I really hope this is true, because it's amazing if so. Faith in humanity, +1 until Big Pharma tries to price it out of the reach of almost everyone.

(Mylan Pharmaceuticals, not the company from this, but makers of the EpiPen and the scandal surrounding its pricing, has a giant facility 30 minutes from where I grew up. This my lack of faith in pharmaceutical companies doing the right thing.)

[Image: its-official-600x593.jpg]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
26-05-2017, 03:18 PM
(24-05-2017 12:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 12:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Now they just have to convince people that the vaccine doesn't cause haemophilia or contain gluten or something.

It prolly causes autism. Facepalm
Weeping
Well this vaccine in particular is very nasty stuff.
It cause people to become more sexually promiscuous (therefore it leads to "murder" via abortions) it also causes people to become gay, as well as liberal and worst of all it causes atheism.

I'm sure the Catholics and USA conservatives are going to be against this vaccine.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post
26-05-2017, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2017 03:33 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-05-2017 03:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 12:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  It prolly causes autism. Facepalm
Weeping
Well this vaccine in particular is very nasty stuff.
It cause people to become more sexually promiscuous (therefore it leads to "murder" via abortions) it also causes people to become gay, as well as liberal and worst of all it causes atheism.

I'm sure the Catholics and USA conservatives are going to be against this vaccine.

I agree with everything, except it's not "causes people to become gay".
The proper approved phraseology is : "It makes people *turn gay*". Rolleyes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-05-2017, 03:30 PM
(26-05-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Well this vaccine in particular is very nasty stuff.

I agree with everything, except it's not "causes people to become gay".
The proper phraseology is : ""It makes people *turn gay*". Rolleyes

It makes them adopt a gay lifestyle!

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
26-05-2017, 03:33 PM
(26-05-2017 03:30 PM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(26-05-2017 03:22 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I agree with everything, except it's not "causes people to become gay".
The proper phraseology is : ""It makes people *turn gay*". Rolleyes

It makes them adopt a gay lifestyle!

Fabulous.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-05-2017, 04:54 PM
(24-05-2017 12:48 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(24-05-2017 12:46 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Now they just have to convince people that the vaccine doesn't cause haemophilia or contain gluten or something.

It prolly causes autism. Facepalm
Weeping

No worries: everybody already has autism from drinking Diet Coke. Big Grin

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
28-05-2017, 07:49 PM
(24-05-2017 12:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I heard today there was a presentation yesterday at an HIV meeting, that there finally is a vaccine. If it really works, this is amazing.
http://www.reuters.com/article/brief-ino...SFWN1IQ0G2

Interesting. But it's not totally clear what an 'immune response' means. Does this mean the test subjects developed HIV antibodies? Were the test subjects HIV positive and then showed no traces of the virus after given the serum?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade