Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Finally building a new gaming rig!
My current PC was put together back on 08', and while it has had some upgrades, I've been due for a replacement for a long while now. It just so happens that my father recently cut me a fat check as a sort of apology for having not helped me financially as much as my younger brother (my father gave him his first car and motorcycle, I bought my own). Seeing as how I already have a motorcycle and car in working order, I almost immediately went and dumped a good bit of it on parts for a new rig.

Hopefully they'll all be here next Wednesday, and I'll be able to put it together that night as I have Wednesday and Thursday night off next week.

The rig is almost entirely ASUS and Corsair, with the few exceptions being pieces that neither make.

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, quad core @ 3.5GHz

GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB DirectCU II Video Card

[Image: XB5lecam0q1A97ih_500.jpg]

MOBO - ASUS Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

[Image: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png]

Case - Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

I love this case, it's so fucking gorgeous! It's a cube, a split chamber design that puts all of the hot part inside a wind tunnel on one side and keeps all of the cables and non-heat generating parts (5.5' and 2.5' drives, and the PSU) on the other side.

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

[Image: 115559801.corsair-vengeance-16gb-2x8gb-d...1600c9.jpg]

Cooling - 3 X Corsair Air Series AF140L (with case), Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

[Image: 10670.jpg]

PSU - Corsair Professional HX850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

[Image: hx850_psu_sideview_cable_1.png]

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SDD - PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Optical - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Monitor - Acer 21' @ 1920x1080

I'm trying to future-proof the fuck out of it, as I have the power and headroom to accommodate another 2 sticks of 4GB ram and another GTX 770 in SLI. Maybe I'll get lucky this year on Cyber Monday and I can get another GTX 770 relatively cheap. Needless to say, this thing will handle 4K gaming handily, let alone my modest 1080p monitor.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
05-09-2014, 10:13 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
Until a minute ago, I was completely satisfied with my computer. Now I want a case like that too.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 3 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
05-09-2014, 10:42 AM
*looks sadly down at his over-priced 3 year old alienware m17x laptop with disgust*

sigh

You could put me in your will, just saying, just in case anything happens to ya you can gift me your new toy *beams* Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
05-09-2014, 11:02 AM
(05-09-2014 10:13 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Until a minute ago, I was completely satisfied with my computer. Now I want a case like that too.

It's $129 now on Newegg, with a $10 rebate card. It also comes with 3 Corsair AF140L fans, and these are the good 140mm fans with hydrostatic bearings. Not only that, but all of the fan mounts support 120mm-140mm fans. You can actually install 3 120mm fans in the front if you'd like, or place a radiator. I'm going to place my Hydro 100i at the top of the case, and leave the 3 stock case fans where they are at. The case also has 2 hot-swap HHD cages, a stackable rack for 6 2.5" drives, and 2 5.25" drives. The front panel also has a magnetic removable dust filter, which is ideal seeing as how the front is the main air intake.

05-09-2014, 11:03 AM
I have 8 gigs of RAM, AMD FX 8320, and a GTX 760. The only thing I would change is having your 770 and the cooler. However, I was going for price and performance for gaming.
05-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Beautiful rig.

Not too convinced by the case though. I have always gone with the cheapest case possible since I'm always on a budget and try to spend the money on raw power instead and never ran into any heat issues.

But then again, my computer case is always open...
05-09-2014, 09:27 PM
(05-09-2014 01:12 PM)Zippo Wrote:  Beautiful rig.

Not too convinced by the case though. I have always gone with the cheapest case possible since I'm always on a budget and try to spend the money on raw power instead and never ran into any heat issues.

But then again, my computer case is always open...

Well, it kind of matched up with the theme that was starting to appear with the build. RAM was a toss up between GSkill and Corsair, PSU was a tossup between EVGA and Corsair; but Corsair had all of the really subdued minimalist case designs that I really liked (even this one isn't very showy, it's most distinguishing feature is it's wide stance). As for the case, not only did it look cool, but it comes with 3 of those really nice 140mm hydro-static bearing fans, and it has the space up top to fit the H100i liquid CPU cooler; especially important as I'd like to OC that Devil's Canyon to about 4GHz. So I really liked the look and the very unique setup, and it came with enough extras (the fans alone are worth $50) that made it pretty easy to justify splurging for the nicer case. I gave myself a $150 limit on my case budget, and I came in under that, so I can't complain. Big Grin

05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
I should post my comp build pics and put everybody to shame.....but...lazy Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-09-2014, 12:19 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2014 12:25 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
Pshhhh...3x GTX780s here.

Which, thinking about it now, is getting zero use. I think I'll sell one of em'
06-09-2014, 02:32 AM
(06-09-2014 12:19 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Pshhhh...3x GTX780s here.

Which, thinking about it now, is getting zero use. I think I'll sell one of em'

Those GPU's alone cost far more than my entire build, so there is that. My dad wrote me a check, but it wasn't a blank check. Rolleyes

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post