Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2014, 05:25 PM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
OMG, Amazon wont ship the mobo internationally, it will however ship the evga while newegg wont ship the evga but it will ship the mobo...
wtf...

I think I'm pretty much set (thanks to you EK).

I think regarding the PSU I'll take the one from my old PC. I wonder if it could be tested to see if it's still good?
I'll also take the optical drive. I never use disks and buy (download) all my games via steam. But I'll need it occasionally so there's no point getting a new one.
I'll hang off on getting a wireless card. I have an adapter thingy that I use on my computer now. It does the trick so I'll give it a go and if it keeps cutting out or slows the interwebz I'll just bite the bullet and buy a wireless card.

Which leaves only cases left.
I'm gonna be a little kid for a second and say I want it! I want it! I want it!. It looks amazing. Plus it comes with 4 case fans.
It's a midtower, which I've never worked with before (which isn't saying much considering I've only worked with one other case before...), but I've checked and it supports standard atx mobo's and psu so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll fit all this shit.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2014, 12:05 AM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2014 01:30 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-11-2014 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  OMG, Amazon wont ship the mobo internationally, it will however ship the evga while newegg wont ship the evga but it will ship the mobo...
wtf...

Undecided

(09-11-2014 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think I'm pretty much set (thanks to you EK).

Thumbsup

(09-11-2014 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I think regarding the PSU I'll take the one from my old PC. I wonder if it could be tested to see if it's still good?

An official test? No idea. Does the PSU fan make excessive noise when it's running? Does it sound like the fan bearing might be going bad? If not, it's probably okay for the immediate future. Also, Corsair PSU's are built like tanks.

(09-11-2014 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll also take the optical drive. I never use disks and buy (download) all my games via steam. But I'll need it occasionally so there's no point getting a new one.
I'll hang off on getting a wireless card. I have an adapter thingy that I use on my computer now. It does the trick so I'll give it a go and if it keeps cutting out or slows the interwebz I'll just bite the bullet and buy a wireless card.

Thumbsup

(09-11-2014 05:25 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Which leaves only cases left.
I'm gonna be a little kid for a second and say I want it! I want it! I want it!. It looks amazing. Plus it comes with 4 case fans.
It's a midtower, which I've never worked with before (which isn't saying much considering I've only worked with one other case before...), but I've checked and it supports standard atx mobo's and psu so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it'll fit all this shit.

It's a good looking case with a nice feature set at a (comparatively, for NZ at least) good price.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
10-11-2014, 02:53 AM
Fantastic. I'll wait till tomorrow night (pay day) to see if I need to dip into my savings to pay rent or whatever (hate getting paid fortnightly)
If not I'll buy it all. If I do it'll have to wait till Wednesday next week. But basically 4-5 business days after tomorrow or next week I'll have a new computer so woo.
I'd fist bump you right now EK but you know.. Pacific Ocean and everything...

10-11-2014, 03:10 AM
(10-11-2014 02:53 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'd fist bump you right now EK but you know.. Pacific Ocean and everything...

[Image: 20120628-160238.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Excellent gaming rig. I build them almost daily as part of what my company does, and I use many of the same components.

Only one problem that I have noticed regarding memory with heat sinks; it overheats fast and burns out faster than non heat sinked RAM.

I don't think the heat sink is distributing heat off the memory as much as it is keeping it in. Try to keep the interior of your system as cool as possible, and don't tuck it under a desk or pushed up against a wall.

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
14-11-2014, 07:21 PM
It will be in a well ventilated area.

Wow installing the heatsink was fucking stressful. Never used thermal paste in my life so that was an adventure too...

So anyway, question. My RAM is that ripsaw one, 8gb, 16000mhz, ddr3 and the RAM from my last computer is 2x2GB, 16000mhz, ddr3.
If I was to put in the extra 4GB from my last computer, would that slow this one down because of their age? (couple years old).

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Fear of applying thermal paste is one of the things that keeps me coming back to Intel chips with stock coolers Wink Even then it's still stressful getting those push pins in and correct.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-11-2014, 12:01 AM
Gee thanks guys, this sounds like it'll be a whole lot of fun.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-11-2014, 02:24 AM
The answer to my RAM question earlier was no, it wont slow it down but yes it will completely fuck with display and not let you display anything.

15-11-2014, 03:17 AM
Typing this from my new PC (in the grossest resolution known to man... I'm gonna go change that.)

[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post