Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2014, 04:06 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(15-11-2014 03:17 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Typing this from my new PC (in the grossest resolution known to man... I'm gonna go change that.)

Earmuffs; coming to us live from 800x600. Had he video he'd be streaming in at a nice, clear 144p.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
15-11-2014, 04:28 AM
(14-11-2014 07:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wow installing the heatsink was fucking stressful. Never used thermal paste in my life so that was an adventure too...

Even worse when it's an old laptop that is overheating. Taking laptops apart is stressful at the best of times. Pulling off an old heat sink that's welded to the CPU and seeing and hearing the motherboard bend is not pleasant.
15-11-2014, 04:28 AM
My wife has a 1920x1080 display on her 15" laptop screen. She wanted to change the resolution down because the text was too small. She would have done it too if I hadn't caught her in the act.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
15-11-2014, 04:36 AM
(15-11-2014 04:28 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(14-11-2014 07:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wow installing the heatsink was fucking stressful. Never used thermal paste in my life so that was an adventure too...

Even worse when it's an old laptop that is overheating. Taking laptops apart is stressful at the best of times. Pulling off an old heat sink that's welded to the CPU and seeing and hearing the motherboard bend is not pleasant.

Welded?

Huh... Mine wasn't like that. The heat sink came off pretty easy, compared to everything else...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-11-2014, 05:34 AM
(15-11-2014 04:28 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My wife has a 1920x1080 display on her 15" laptop screen. She wanted to change the resolution down because the text was too small. She would have done it too if I hadn't caught her in the act.

The issue I have is that I'm using a TV as a monitor and it's an old as fuck TV, I mean this thing was old when I built my last computer... and so while I would love to run 1920x1080, if I put it on that setting I can't see the task bar or my icons on my desktop because the screen is off-screen. I'm looking at the box of my TV (I use it as a bedside table) and it clearly has 1920x1080 full HD marked on the box in a big shinny golden banner... 1920x1080 sure, but you wont be able to see half ya shit.. Dodgy

So, to get it to actually fit on the screen I'm using 1280x1024.
15-11-2014, 05:47 AM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-11-2014, 07:05 AM
(14-11-2014 07:21 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It will be in a well ventilated area.

Wow installing the heatsink was fucking stressful. Never used thermal paste in my life so that was an adventure too...

So anyway, question. My RAM is that ripsaw one, 8gb, 16000mhz, ddr3 and the RAM from my last computer is 2x2GB, 16000mhz, ddr3.
If I was to put in the extra 4GB from my last computer, would that slow this one down because of their age? (couple years old).

Nope.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2014, 07:08 AM
(15-11-2014 05:34 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(15-11-2014 04:28 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My wife has a 1920x1080 display on her 15" laptop screen. She wanted to change the resolution down because the text was too small. She would have done it too if I hadn't caught her in the act.

The issue I have is that I'm using a TV as a monitor and it's an old as fuck TV, I mean this thing was old when I built my last computer... and so while I would love to run 1920x1080, if I put it on that setting I can't see the task bar or my icons on my desktop because the screen is off-screen. I'm looking at the box of my TV (I use it as a bedside table) and it clearly has 1920x1080 full HD marked on the box in a big shinny golden banner... 1920x1080 sure, but you wont be able to see half ya shit.. Dodgy

So, to get it to actually fit on the screen I'm using 1280x1024.

The TV almost certainly has a picture size or aspect ratio setting of its own, and that may not be set correctly.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-11-2014, 08:21 AM
On the RAM question - refer to your manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1...b_only.pdf
Quote:You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation.
Always install DIMMs with the same CAS latency. For optimal compatibility, we recommend that you install memory modules of the same version or date cod (D/C) from the same vendor.

So you would need to put your 8GB in channel A and the 2GB in channel B (or vice versa). This may reduce the performance of the memory past 2GB as it would be operating in a single-channel configuration. The CAS timing may also cause suboptimal performance or problems. That said, having the extra RAM in there may benefit system performance more than reduced access efficiency reduces system performance. YMMV.

15-11-2014, 12:03 PM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2014 12:08 PM by Michael_Tadlock.)
(08-11-2014 01:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(07-11-2014 07:47 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  Most modern computer never pull more than 150-200 watts out of the wall. If you have a couple gpus you might peak out at 250 or 300 watts system total. Nearly all of that is 12v power, so you have to account for the amperage on the 12v rails, and then you want to give yourself about a 20% padding for drops in efficiency. If you have a single cpu, single GPU setup you are fine with 500 watts. If you have a couple gpu and an aggressive over clock, a good 500 watt is almost certainly still enough, but maybe get a 600 or 700 watt power supply just to be safe.

Just a note, a good 400 watt power supply is better than a bad 700 watt power supply. Quality matters. Seasonic and companies that rebadge seasonic units (like corsair) have been amongst the best from many of the reviews I have read over the years. Many name brands have some good models though. For a good run down, check for a johnnyguru review if you can find one. Johny is the best in the biz when it comes to dissecting power supply units.

An i7 4690K, with a Corsair H110 liquid CPU cooler, 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 @ 2400MHz, a Samsung 250GB SSD, a Seagate 1TB HDD, and an EVGA GTX780Ti (the former nVidia single-GPU flagship card) draws just shy of 480W, and that's before overclocking. A dual SLI of those card bumps consumption up to just shy of 730W (same with a single card dual-GPU Radeon R9 295X2 8GB), while a dual-GPU card like the Titan Z brings it just under 600W, and replacing it with a single GTX980 (the new nVidia single GPU flagship) drops consumption down to sub 390W, and a GTX970 drop consumption down further to below 370W.

The most recent generations of GPU's have been very power hungry, which is now one of the lead selling points for the cooler and more efficient GTX900 series. A quad TITAN SLI setup would have needed a 1200W~1500W PSU for an absolute cutting edge insane rig (think Large Pixel Collider).

Large Pixel Collider Setup (copying their build via pcpartpicker.com)
w/ dual nVidia TITAN Z (4 GPU's total) - 1092W
w/ dual AMD R9 295X2 (4 GPU's total) - 1342W
w/ quad nVidia GTX780Ti - 1342W
w/ quad nVidia TITAN BLACK - 1342W
w/ quad AMD R9 290X - 1542W
w/ quad nVidia GTX980 - 1002W

Also remember that these are with Intel CPU's, as the current crop of high-end AMD chips are heat spewing energy hogs, much like their high-end GPU cards. The i7 4690K (4.4GHz, 4 core) enthusiast CPU is rated for 88W, while the i7 4690X (3.6GHz, 6 core) from the Large Pixel Collider is rated at 130W. The AMD FX9590 is a 4.7GHz, 8 core processor that requires at least 220W by itself, and it's still only a $300 enthusiast grade CPU like the i7 4690K (the 88W one, slightly more than 1/3 the power usage).

All units are vastly over rated for power and they don't scale linearly; ie a two 150 watt rated gpus do not produce together 300 watts. If you record the amount of power actually coming out of your socket it is actually very, very small. Keep in mind a machine that actually took 700 watts to run would be the practical equivalent of an electric space heater... You can buy whatever you want (you being the general 'you'). I have seen a lot of real world tests and 200-300 watts is very typical for even enthusiast grade systems.