Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 10:24 AM
AW: RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(27-12-2014 10:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm trying to justify an upgrade to a Samsung 4K display.
And the video card upgrade required to feed it.
And the power supply upgrade to feed that.
It would only be about $1100 all up. That's not a lot of money, right?
It is a lot of money Sad
A far more sensible upgrade, in my opinion, would be an upgrade to a G-Sync display.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2014, 10:43 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(27-12-2014 10:19 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'm trying to justify an upgrade to a Samsung 4K display.
It is a lot of money Sad

$1100 will buy you a decent upgrade, but I don't think you can do 4K with it. To do 4K games at high or max settings right now, it requires two GPUs. I'd recommend a 1440p display and a GTX 980. You'd likely not need a power supply upgrade unless it's less than 400 watts; 980 is a power sipper despite it being high end.
27-12-2014, 12:11 PM
I love my 27" 1440p monitors. Anything higher right now would also need more real estate, like 40" minimum.

As it is, most websites are a thin strip down the screen, leaving lots of room for snapping windows left and right. And games don't need more than 2 or 4x AA max.
27-12-2014, 12:58 PM
(27-12-2014 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
It is a lot of money Sad
A far more sensible upgrade, in my opinion, would be an upgrade to a G-Sync display.

All of which are 1080p, with the one exception being the 27" 1440p 144Hz ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q for $800, or at least that's before they all sold out before the holidays and private sellers started price gouging the last few left.

[Image: intro-hero.png]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
27-12-2014, 02:51 PM
(27-12-2014 12:58 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  A far more sensible upgrade, in my opinion, would be an upgrade to a G-Sync display.

All of which are 1080p, with the one exception being the 27" 1440p 144Hz ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q for $800, or at least that's before they all sold out before the holidays and private sellers started price gouging the last few left.

What's your point again? Consider

27-12-2014, 04:37 PM
(27-12-2014 02:51 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 12:58 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  All of which are 1080p, with the one exception being the 27" 1440p 144Hz ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q for $800, or at least that's before they all sold out before the holidays and private sellers started price gouging the last few left.

What's your point again? Consider

That a G-Sync 1080p display will probably give you a better gaming experience for less money, and require far less horsepower and money than a 4K display. That G-Sync displays however can be prohibitively expensive, and are rarely larger than 1080p because of it. Investment in that ASUS ROG Swift would probably require a multi-GPU rig totally at least $3K itself to justify that amount for a monitor; and even that requires less horsepower than a 4K display would.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
27-12-2014, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014 05:16 PM by Vosur.)
(27-12-2014 04:37 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That a G-Sync 1080p display will probably give you a better gaming experience for less money, and require far less horsepower and money than a 4K display. That G-Sync displays however can be prohibitively expensive, and are rarely larger than 1080p because of it. Investment in that ASUS ROG Swift would probably require a multi-GPU rig totally at least $3K itself to justify that amount for a monitor; and even that requires less horsepower than a 4K display would.
I agree with you on that, though I think the high price has more to do with the age of the technology rather than the technology itself. I read a detailed explanation as to why G-Sync monitors are so expensive right now a couple of weeks ago; I'll see if I can find it again because it was quite interesting and informative.

Edit: By the way, there's actually at least one 4k monitor that supports G-Sync. Tongue

Edit: I can't find the post again for the life of me, but the general gist of it was this: The G-Sync chips that are currently being used in displays that support this technology are prototypes of sorts (FPGA chips). Once Nvidia finalizes the chip's design, they will convert it into an ASIC chip, which will allow them to mass-produce these chips, resulting in a much cheaper price for the consumer. This site has some pretty good information about the conversion process and its numerous benefits.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-12-2014, 10:21 PM
(27-12-2014 04:43 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-12-2014 04:37 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That a G-Sync 1080p display will probably give you a better gaming experience for less money, and require far less horsepower and money than a 4K display. That G-Sync displays however can be prohibitively expensive, and are rarely larger than 1080p because of it. Investment in that ASUS ROG Swift would probably require a multi-GPU rig totally at least $3K itself to justify that amount for a monitor; and even that requires less horsepower than a 4K display would.
I agree with you on that, though I think the high price has more to do with the age of the technology rather than the technology itself. I read a detailed explanation as to why G-Sync monitors are so expensive right now a couple of weeks ago; I'll see if I can find it again because it was quite interesting and informative.

Edit: By the way, there's actually at least one 4k monitor that supports G-Sync. Tongue

Edit: I can't find the post again for the life of me, but the general gist of it was this: The G-Sync chips that are currently being used in displays that support this technology are prototypes of sorts (FPGA chips). Once Nvidia finalizes the chip's design, they will convert it into an ASIC chip, which will allow them to mass-produce these chips, resulting in a much cheaper price for the consumer. This site has some pretty good information about the conversion process and its numerous benefits.

Well, once they can get a 24" G-Sync 1080p 144Hz 1ms-GTG monitor from a decent manufacturer at around the $200 range, then I'll get one. But I can't justify spending more than that when my current ACER 24" 60Hz 1080p monitor was less than $150 about a year ago.

28-12-2014, 04:48 AM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014 04:52 AM by Hafnof.)
It is a lot of money Sad
(27-12-2014 10:24 AM)Vosur Wrote:  A far more sensible upgrade, in my opinion, would be an upgrade to a G-Sync display.
(27-12-2014 10:43 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  $1100 will buy you a decent upgrade, but I don't think you can do 4K with it. To do 4K games at high or max settings right now, it requires two GPUs. I'd recommend a 1440p display and a GTX 980. You'd likely not need a power supply upgrade unless it's less than 400 watts; 980 is a power sipper despite it being high end.

I could probably settle for 1440p. I'll go searching for what I can buy locally in that range. Most panels I have seen advertised are still 1080p, are TN in the cheap 4K range, or are $2000 4K IPS beasts. Bear in mind however that I am maining looking at 4K as screen real estate for software development, rather than hardcore gaming. I think upgrading my 450W power supply to 650ish (~100AUD) and putting in a single ~500AUD GTX970, plus the price of a cheap TN 4K panel ~500AUD would be a viable configuration... and reasonably future proof for my purposes also. The main thing holding me back is really the viewing angle on a TN display. But ergonomically, I would like a nice large, high resolution display as my current relatively low res single 19" display is a little pokey when it comes to coding.

Edit:
LOL. At my local supplier 1440p shows up nothing. QHD shows monitors across the same price range as the 4K displays. I really have the feeling that the industry is going to effectively skip 1440p, with only a minor sales bump along the way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-12-2014, 05:03 AM
(28-12-2014 04:48 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
It is a lot of money Sad
(27-12-2014 10:43 AM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  $1100 will buy you a decent upgrade, but I don't think you can do 4K with it. To do 4K games at high or max settings right now, it requires two GPUs. I'd recommend a 1440p display and a GTX 980. You'd likely not need a power supply upgrade unless it's less than 400 watts; 980 is a power sipper despite it being high end.

I could probably settle for 1440p. I'll go searching for what I can buy locally in that range. Most panels I have seen advertised are still 1080p, are TN in the cheap 4K range, or are $2000 4K IPS beasts. Bear in mind however that I am maining looking at 4K as screen real estate for software development, rather than hardcore gaming. I think upgrading my 450W power supply to 650ish (~100AUD) and putting in a single ~500AUD GTX970, plus the price of a cheap TN 4K panel ~500AUD would be a viable configuration... and reasonably future proof for my purposes also. The main thing holding me back is really the viewing angle on a TN display. But ergonomically, I would like a nice large, high resolution display as my current relatively low res single 19" display is a little pokey when it comes to coding.

Edit:
LOL. At my local supplier 1440p shows up nothing. QHD shows monitors across the same price range as the 4K displays. I really have the feeling that the industry is going to effectively skip 1440p, with only a minor sales bump along the way.

Well, the monitor I had for my 2008 build was a 19" Viewsonic at 1440x900, which is between 720p and 1080p. Because of all of the factors involved with changing industry wide formats and standards for something as broad as broadcast television, they won't change it unless the next step offers a discernible improvement. So yeah, 1440p will probably remain nothing more than a somewhat common (among gaming enthusiasts) PC format.

Can a GTX970 game at 4K? Sure, but don't expect to run anything recent at a playable frame-rate unless you turn most of the option all of the way down. That is a LOT of screen real-estate, the pixel equivalent of running a quad monitor 1080p setup. Do you think you could handle running a quad 1080p setup? Because that's the horsepower you'll need. Software and desktop won't be a problem with a GTX970, but you'll find your gaming habit to be kneecapped if you insist at playing games at native resolution. That being said, you should still play games at 1080p without much visual artifacting because each pixel the game renders will take up exactly a 4 pixel square of space on your monitor.

If there is someway you could go try-out a 4K monitor (a display unit at a store maybe?) and see what running something in 1080p actually looks on it might not be a bad idea.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post