Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2014, 02:06 PM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(12-09-2014 01:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 01:24 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I was going to mention that exact example, but I wasn't certain I remembered whether it was noticeable or not.

Ok not to go full tinfoil hat here but what if that was put in just to dick with the people that have to have max settings on everything. Sort of a practical joke.

Or a government conspiracy to make you shell out for a better graphics card...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2014, 02:18 PM
(12-09-2014 01:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 12:59 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  I realize that you've said it in jest. But, there are usually ridiculous options that provide little to no visual improvement, while significantly reducing frame rate. Who the hell needs 32x AA?... FXAA(fast&effective) vs MSAA(why do I even exist?).
The Witcher 2 is the best example in that regard. It has this option called "Ubersampling" which makes no discernable difference, yet is so demanding that no single GPU can run it smoothly. It pretty much cuts the framerate in half.

... but there is a difference. Render to scale versus rendering higher and downscaling. Pre-rendered CGI is always done via the latter. The same benefits apply (in theory) to doing so in realtime.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2014, 02:20 PM
AW: RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(12-09-2014 02:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 01:19 PM)Vosur Wrote:  The Witcher 2 is the best example in that regard. It has this option called "Ubersampling" which makes no discernable difference, yet is so demanding that no single GPU can run it smoothly. It pretty much cuts the framerate in half.

... but there is a difference. Render to scale versus rendering higher and downscaling. Pre-rendered CGI is always done via the latter. The same benefits apply (in theory) to doing so in realtime.
Have you actually compared the screenshots for yourself? Note how I was talking about discernable difference. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
13-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Alright, update time.

Got everything earlier this week, and spent a few hours putting it together right. Made sure everything was seated properly, was extra care about electrostatic discharge, built it on a laminated table on the hardwood kitchen floor, and wore an ESD bracelet. Got the liquid cooler rigged to the CPU, got all of the fans plugged in, cleaned up the cables; the whole nine yards. A pre-build setup outside of the case made it through POST, so that was a good sign. Got it all put together in the case and all seemed well with the world, it booted up fine and installed Windows 7 easily enough. Once I got Windows updated, had my drivers installed, had Steam and a few games installed; that's when shit started to go wrong.

The computer would, usually in game, go to black and lockup. It usually only took 10~15 minutes before this happened, and it didn't matter what it was. Deus Ex: Human Revolution crashed it, PAYDAY 2 crashed it, FarCry 3 crashed it, and even fucking KillingFloor crashed it (KillingFloor happens to be an almost 10 year old game that started out as a Unreal 2004 mod). It even crashed opening Google Chrome and Windows Picture Viewer at least once each. So I spent my two days off trying to debug the problem.

Grabbed FurMark and stress tested the card for an hour, the card never went over 83C; so it wasn't overheating. It also was getting plenty of power, as my Corsair HX850 could have ran two of these together with room to spare. Even tried different 8 and 6 pin combinations, none of those stopped the black screens. Ran MemCheck and Windows Memory Diagnostic for 50 passes each, no errors on either test. Did another fresh install of Windows, only installing the bare minimum of drivers needed to play a game (just the nVidia video drivers, Net Framework 4.5, whatever else Steam installed to get it running) to ensure there were no driver conflicts; still froze up. Installed GPU Tweak and tried to down tune the factory OC'd card down to stock GT770 specs, still froze. Removed the damn thing entirely and installed my old EVGA GTS460, and it's hasn't frozen since, even after playing KillingFloor for a few hours. Also none of the freeze ups ever left any indication in the Event Viewer as to what caused the hangups, as the only Critical listings were the notification of recovery from an unexpected shutdown. There was nothing I could find that ever happened either at the time of freeze or right before that lead up to it.

So yeah, it's totally the card. I guess it's a sort of prevalent problem with ASUS's current crop of Kepler chipped factory OC cards, a problem that has been plaguing their GT780 and GT780Ti cards as well.

So I called Newegg earlier today (had to wait until 11:30 AM because of Saturday hours and the EST/PST time differential), but I did get a hold of one of their reps. I explained everything to him much as I did here, and asked what he could do for me as a Premiere member. He had to put me on hold about 4 times, and I was supper polite about it (as was he, props to him) as he tried to get the issue resolved. Long story short, they okay'd a special exception for me. I need to ship the card back and they'll handle the RMA with ASUS, and once it is processed, I'll get Newegg credit. I had mentioned that I really wish I had spent the $20 more to get the same card, but from EVGA, as my last two cards were EVGA and both ran like fucking champs. So that is exactly what I'll be doing, in addition to picking up another set of Vengeance memory to fill up my DIMM slots before I forget about it or I can no longer get a matching set. So I just have to repackage the ASUS card back with all of it's goodies and packaging (which is good, since I saved all of the packaging for just this reason, even the Styrofoam and plastic end caps), print out their own postage label they provided, and drop it off at a UPS for 3-day shipping (and there is a UPS office within walking distance of my house).

So yeah, Newegg was really awesome and did me a real solid; and they totally just made their Premiere membership pay for itself. So now I'm returning them the favor by informing you all (and anyone else that is tech savvy) how awesome they were about the whole thing. Hell, I even stayed on the line and did the stupid phone survey and gave the guy 5's across the board because I was so happy. Hopefully in less than two weeks, I'll have an EVGA GT770 and I'll be able to give you all another update. It kind of sucks being back on the GTS460 after having tasted the ambrosia that was a GT770, but all in good time. All in good time.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
14-09-2014, 10:25 AM
AW: RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
(13-09-2014 10:04 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Alright, update time.

Got everything earlier this week, and spent a few hours putting it together right. Made sure everything was seated properly, was extra care about electrostatic discharge, built it on a laminated table on the hardwood kitchen floor, and wore an ESD bracelet. Got the liquid cooler rigged to the CPU, got all of the fans plugged in, cleaned up the cables; the whole nine yards. A pre-build setup outside of the case made it through POST, so that was a good sign. Got it all put together in the case and all seemed well with the world, it booted up fine and installed Windows 7 easily enough. Once I got Windows updated, had my drivers installed, had Steam and a few games installed; that's when shit started to go wrong.

The computer would, usually in game, go to black and lockup. It usually only took 10~15 minutes before this happened, and it didn't matter what it was. Deus Ex: Human Revolution crashed it, PAYDAY 2 crashed it, FarCry 3 crashed it, and even fucking KillingFloor crashed it (KillingFloor happens to be an almost 10 year old game that started out as a Unreal 2004 mod). It even crashed opening Google Chrome and Windows Picture Viewer at least once each. So I spent my two days off trying to debug the problem.

Grabbed FurMark and stress tested the card for an hour, the card never went over 83C; so it wasn't overheating. It also was getting plenty of power, as my Corsair HX850 could have ran two of these together with room to spare. Even tried different 8 and 6 pin combinations, none of those stopped the black screens. Ran MemCheck and Windows Memory Diagnostic for 50 passes each, no errors on either test. Did another fresh install of Windows, only installing the bare minimum of drivers needed to play a game (just the nVidia video drivers, Net Framework 4.5, whatever else Steam installed to get it running) to ensure there were no driver conflicts; still froze up. Installed GPU Tweak and tried to down tune the factory OC'd card down to stock GT770 specs, still froze. Removed the damn thing entirely and installed my old EVGA GTS460, and it's hasn't frozen since, even after playing KillingFloor for a few hours. Also none of the freeze ups ever left any indication in the Event Viewer as to what caused the hangups, as the only Critical listings were the notification of recovery from an unexpected shutdown. There was nothing I could find that ever happened either at the time of freeze or right before that lead up to it.

So yeah, it's totally the card. I guess it's a sort of prevalent problem with ASUS's current crop of Kepler chipped factory OC cards, a problem that has been plaguing their GT780 and GT780Ti cards as well.

So I called Newegg earlier today (had to wait until 11:30 AM because of Saturday hours and the EST/PST time differential), but I did get a hold of one of their reps. I explained everything to him much as I did here, and asked what he could do for me as a Premiere member. He had to put me on hold about 4 times, and I was supper polite about it (as was he, props to him) as he tried to get the issue resolved. Long story short, they okay'd a special exception for me. I need to ship the card back and they'll handle the RMA with ASUS, and once it is processed, I'll get Newegg credit. I had mentioned that I really wish I had spent the $20 more to get the same card, but from EVGA, as my last two cards were EVGA and both ran like fucking champs. So that is exactly what I'll be doing, in addition to picking up another set of Vengeance memory to fill up my DIMM slots before I forget about it or I can no longer get a matching set. So I just have to repackage the ASUS card back with all of it's goodies and packaging (which is good, since I saved all of the packaging for just this reason, even the Styrofoam and plastic end caps), print out their own postage label they provided, and drop it off at a UPS for 3-day shipping (and there is a UPS office within walking distance of my house).

So yeah, Newegg was really awesome and did me a real solid; and they totally just made their Premiere membership pay for itself. So now I'm returning them the favor by informing you all (and anyone else that is tech savvy) how awesome they were about the whole thing. Hell, I even stayed on the line and did the stupid phone survey and gave the guy 5's across the board because I was so happy. Hopefully in less than two weeks, I'll have an EVGA GT770 and I'll be able to give you all another update. It kind of sucks being back on the GTS460 after having tasted the ambrosia that was a GT770, but all in good time. All in good time.
Yeah, I got my GTX 780 from EVGA as well; never had any problems with it.

14-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I got the EVGA ACX Superclocked 780s, they run nice and cool. However, 2 of 3 were screaming like banshees out of the box; really obnoxious coil whine, so I sent them back. Then one of the two new ones did the same thing, so I sent it back... I'm hoping its just because they were the first batch of cards when the 7xx series was released, but at least they didn't have a problem with replacing em.
20-09-2014, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 01:28 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Update 2

While my RMA'd ASUS card is still in transit back to Newegg (the trailer got delayed), I had ordered a EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 2GB w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (02G-P4-2776-KR), and I figured I'd just get a matching card and SLI them with the eventual RMA refund. That card has arrived and has been working like a real champ, none of the black screen lockups; so that was clearly tied to the ASUS card and neither of the EVGA cards I've had in my rig have ever crashed or locked-up.

But then nVidia had to go and drop the GeForce GTX 900 series cards on me literally less than a week after I bought that. Dodgy

So the new GTX970 reference card does really well on the benchmarks, and does so with less power consumption. Fortunately EVGA has their Step-Up program, and since the GTX770 that I bought had a 3-year warranty, it is eligible for the program. And while none of the new GTX970 cards were listed yesterday, when I checked back again today EVGA had added their stock clocked GTX970 card with ACX cooler to the list (04G-P4-0972-KR).

http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

[Image: 04G-P4-0972-KR_MD_1.jpg]

Now I paid $339 (not including a $20 rebate) for my GTX770, and the EVGA MSRP for their GTX970 is $329. So I plan on signing up for the program and getting into the queue. Given the reviews and benchmark's I've seen so far, I don't mind eating the S&H to get my hands on even a stock GTX970. Now the ASUS card that I RMA'd (a DirectCU II GTX770 with 4GB GDDR5), assuming I just get the credit like Newegg promised, was $359. So now my tentative plans are to spend the RMA money on another EVGA GTX970 (and maybe a Corsair mechanical keyboard, like the Vengeance K65 Compact) and hopefully have that on hand before I send out my current EVGA GTX770 for the Step-Up program. Ideally I won't be without a decent single GPU while I'm juggling these returns, and that I'll end up with a dual GTX970 SLI configuration that requires less power than a pair of GTX770's and blows a single GTX TITAN or GTX780Ti out of the water. Blink

[Image: metro_lastlight_1920_1080.gif]

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDI...SLI/1.html

20-09-2014, 01:41 AM
(20-09-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
Huh, I didn't even know that existed; thanks, EK! I'm probably going to send in my GTX 780 to get the new GTX 980.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
20-09-2014, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2014 02:27 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(20-09-2014 01:41 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/
Huh, I didn't even know that existed; thanks, EK! I'm probably going to send in my GTX 780 to get the new GTX 980.

Be sure to check the fine print, as they are time dependent...

You can unlock the Step-Up option for any Limited Lifetime Warranty or most 3 Year Warranty products as long as it meets the conditions listed below. Once the Step-Up option is unlocked, you will have 90 days from the original purchase date for your product to start the upgrade process through the EVGA website. Once the Step-up process is started you will receive a confirmation email.

-Register your Limited Lifetime Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 90 days of your original purchase date.

-Register your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product purchased new from an authorized reseller within 14 days of your original purchase date.

-If you should happen to miss your 14 day registration window on your qualifying 3 Year Warranty product then you may also purchase an extended warranty within 90 days of your original purchase date to enable the Step-Up option.

-Don't worry, your Extended Warranty and Advanced RMA (EAR) purchases now transfers to your new Step-Up product!

-The EVGA Step-Up program is currently only available to residents of the United States, Canada, and EU Countries.

Also, the two GTX900 cards are only available in the US as of right now, the EU has a separate listing.

EVGA US

Motherboards
EVGA X79 FTW (151-SE-E777-KR) (PDF)
EVGA X79 Dark (150-SE-E789-K2) (PDF)
Graphics Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 (04G-P4-2980-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 ACX (04G-P4-0972-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 (02G-P4-2761-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (02G-P4-3751-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 (01G-P4-2751-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Superclocked (02G-P4-2662-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 2GB (02G-P4-2651-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 (01G-P4-2650-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GT 640 (Single Slot) (02G-P4-2645-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GT 610 2GB (02G-P3-2619-KR) (PDF)

EVGA EU

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Dual w/ ACX Cooler (02G-P4-3763-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB w/ ACX Cooler (04G-P4-2767-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 (02G-P4-2761-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 2GB Superclocked (02G-P4-2754-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 (01G-P4-2751-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW w/ EVGA ACX Cooler (02G-P4-3063-KR) (PDF)
EVGA GeForce GT 730 2GB (02G-P3-2738-KR) (PDF)

20-09-2014, 02:25 AM
(20-09-2014 02:17 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Be sure to check the fine print, as they are time dependent.

>"Current cutoff for products purchased is 6/22/2014 in order to submit a request today. Products purchased on or after this date may be eligible for the Step-Up program."
>bought my card on 6/11/2014
>mfw

[Image: 4e2d838beddc6c698b002c8b.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post