Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014 03:43 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
Update 3

The ASUS card made it to Newegg, and they approved the RMA refund. A day later, got an email with the Newegg gift card charged with the refund amount. Now I'm just sitting on my ass until the next shipment of EVGA GTX970's get in, so hopefully I can grab one. I'm a stickler for symmetry, and I'll be using EVGA's Step-Up program to get a stock GTX970 (with an ACX 1.0 cooler) and I want them to match.

Maybe I'll read up some more on overclocking my CPU so I don't fuck it up. I have the Intel i5-4690K 'Devil's Canyon' chip which is clocked at 3.5GHz already, and I don't think a stable 4.0GHz is outside the realm of possibilities with my Corsair H100i liquid cooler.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 05:13 AM
(27-09-2014 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Maybe I'll read up some more on overclocking my CPU so I don't fuck it up. I have the Intel i5-4690K 'Devil's Canyon' chip which is clocked at 3.5GHz already, and I don't think a stable 4.0GHz is outside the realm of possibilities with my Corsair H100i liquid cooler.
There's really no way for you to fuck anything up unless you do it manually (which you shouldn't if you don't know exactly what you're doing). Your motherboard should have a "one-click" overclocking option in its BIOS; I have the same CPU and I overclocked it to 4.0GHz using that method.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
27-09-2014, 09:07 AM
Looks like a good build, IMO you should get a GTX 780 instead of the 4gb 770 because right now the 780 is only about $20 more and it performs much better than the 770.
27-09-2014, 10:14 AM
(27-09-2014 09:07 AM)Mage The Entertainer Wrote:  Looks like a good build, IMO you should get a GTX 780 instead of the 4gb 770 because right now the 780 is only about $20 more and it performs much better than the 770.

I'm already in the Step-Up program from EVGA to trade in my GTX770 for a GTX970, in addition to getting another GTX970 for a 2-way SLi. A pair of GTX970's doesn't just beat a GTX780, a GTX780Ti, or a GTX980; it's spanks a TITAN.

27-09-2014, 10:19 AM
(27-09-2014 05:13 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 03:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Maybe I'll read up some more on overclocking my CPU so I don't fuck it up. I have the Intel i5-4690K 'Devil's Canyon' chip which is clocked at 3.5GHz already, and I don't think a stable 4.0GHz is outside the realm of possibilities with my Corsair H100i liquid cooler.
There's really no way for you to fuck anything up unless you do it manually (which you shouldn't if you don't know exactly what you're doing). Your motherboard should have a "one-click" overclocking option in its BIOS; I have the same CPU and I overclocked it to 4.0GHz using that method.

I actually just read up on it, watched some how-to video's (Linus over at NCIX was a lot of help), and used my ASUS UEFI Bios to manually change the multiplier to 40 (4GHz) and the voltage to 1.25 for a stable OC. Stress tested well under HeavyLoad and IntelBurnTest, seems to work well so far.

Going to try to work up to a 4.5GHz on 1.3 volts.

30-09-2014, 07:15 AM
(05-09-2014 08:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  My current PC was put together back on 08', and while it has had some upgrades, I've been due for a replacement for a long while now. It just so happens that my father recently cut me a fat check as a sort of apology for having not helped me financially as much as my younger brother (my father gave him his first car and motorcycle, I bought my own). Seeing as how I already have a motorcycle and car in working order, I almost immediately went and dumped a good bit of it on parts for a new rig.

Hopefully they'll all be here next Wednesday, and I'll be able to put it together that night as I have Wednesday and Thursday night off next week.

The rig is almost entirely ASUS and Corsair, with the few exceptions being pieces that neither make.

CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon, quad core @ 3.5GHz

GPU - ASUS GeForce GTX 770 4GB DirectCU II Video Card

[Image: XB5lecam0q1A97ih_500.jpg]

MOBO - ASUS Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

[Image: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.png]

Case - Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

I love this case, it's so fucking gorgeous! It's a cube, a split chamber design that puts all of the hot part inside a wind tunnel on one side and keeps all of the cables and non-heat generating parts (5.5' and 2.5' drives, and the PSU) on the other side.

Memory - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

[Image: 115559801.corsair-vengeance-16gb-2x8gb-d...1600c9.jpg]

Cooling - 3 X Corsair Air Series AF140L (with case), Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

[Image: 10670.jpg]

PSU - Corsair Professional HX850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

[Image: hx850_psu_sideview_cable_1.png]

HDD - Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

SDD - PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Optical - Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

Monitor - Acer 21' @ 1920x1080

I'm trying to future-proof the fuck out of it, as I have the power and headroom to accommodate another 2 sticks of 4GB ram and another GTX 770 in SLI. Maybe I'll get lucky this year on Cyber Monday and I can get another GTX 770 relatively cheap. Needless to say, this thing will handle 4K gaming handily, let alone my modest 1080p monitor.

Well I... I... my CPU is stronger than yours! Emm... Ah fuck, I gotta admit it when my rig is beaten down in the ground.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-09-2014, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 09:10 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(30-09-2014 07:15 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Well I... I... my CPU is stronger than yours! Emm... Ah fuck, I gotta admit it when my rig is beaten down in the ground.

Don't worry about it.

I've actually been having fun trying to build a hypothetical computer system for my girlfriend if she actually bites the bullet and goes back to school. Managed to build a really nice sub $400 machine, because I was able to cheat a bit. I have an extra monitor, mouse, keyboard, and graphics card on hand. Wink

That being said, I found this site to be really useful for serious part shopping, and fun to just fuck around on.

http://pcpartpicker.com/

You can build your rig piece by piece, and it has a lot great features. you can restrict it to show or list parts only from certain vendors, like if you prefer just seeing Amazon and Newegg if you have Prime/Premiere membership (respectively), and don't care about Tigerdirect, NCIX, or other retailers. Not only that, but you can set your own search parameters, like if you're looking for specific motherboard chipset, socket, or manufacturer. Not only that, but once you pick certain parts, it will automatically sort other parts so that you cannot actually select parts that don't match or are not compatible; as in if you select a Intel socket motherboard, it automatically will filter out all of the AMD's when you go look to pick a CPU. You can also sort the results by type, manufacturer, price, or even other options like price-per-GB (for memory and storage).

So here is the sub $400 unit, which would be a quality build with room for future upgrades.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/EvolutionKi...ved/TVXV3C

It's got one of the Haswell Refresh CPU's, the unlocked Intel Pentium G3258 '20th Anniversary Edition', which is a cheap little 3.2GHz dual-core that people are regularly reporting overclocking into the 4.5GHz+ range. The mobo is a solid ASUS, even if it's on an older H81 chipset (but it still has a UEFI BIOS); so while it won't be able to support the 5th Generation Broadwell chips when they eventually release (unlike my own Z97-A), it is still a Socket 1150 and can hold up to a i7 4770K or i7 4790K (an unlocked, stock 4GHz hyper-threaded quad core). It can't do SLI, but the board and the PSU could handle a mild overclock combined with the new power efficient Maxwell nVidia GPU's (not quite the GTX970, but probably the as-yet-to-be-released but inevitable GTX960 or GTX950). Still, it's a 430watt Corsair 80+ Bronze certified PSU for $16. It's also built inside a nice mid-tower ATX case by Corsair, that should last longer than the PC itself if treated right (the only reason I bought a new case for myself is because on my last one I skimped on a really cheap piece of shit case and regretted it). It's got good memory, and getting a second matching stick of Corsair Vengeance later will not be difficult at all. There's not a single piece that is over $60 after rebates. If I was to buy this now, it would make due with my old EVGA GTS450 graphics card and my old 21" ACER 1080p monitor.

Current total?

$319.42 Big Grin

And that's with all of the parts through Newegg, so I'd have free-shipping on it all because I'm a Premiere member; and they also would cover the shipping of anything that had to be returned or RMA'd as well! Thumbsup

30-09-2014, 09:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2014 09:38 AM by ELK12695.)
(30-09-2014 09:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-09-2014 07:15 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Well I... I... my CPU is stronger than yours! Emm... Ah fuck, I gotta admit it when my rig is beaten down in the ground.

Don't worry about it.

I've actually been having fun trying to build a hypothetical computer system for my girlfriend if she actually bites the bullet and goes back to school. Managed to build a really nice sub $400 machine, because I was able to cheat a bit. I have an extra monitor, mouse, keyboard, and graphics card on hand. Wink

That being said, I found this site to be really useful for serious part shopping, and fun to just fuck around on.

You can build your rig piece by piece, and it has a lot great features. you can restrict it to show or list parts only from certain vendors, like if you prefer just seeing Amazon and Newegg if you have Prime/Premiere membership (respectively), and don't care about Tigerdirect, NCIX, or other retailers. Not only that, but you can set your own search parameters, like if you're looking for specific motherboard chipset, socket, or manufacturer. Not only that, but once you pick certain parts, it will automatically sort other parts so that you cannot actually select parts that don't match or are not compatible; as in if you select a Intel socket motherboard, it automatically will filter out all of the AMD's when you go look to pick a CPU. You can also sort the results by type, manufacturer, price, or even other options like price-per-GB (for memory and storage).

So here is the sub $400 unit, which would be a quality build with room for future upgrades.

It's got one of the Haswell Refresh CPU's, the unlocked Intel Pentium G3258 '20th Anniversary Edition', which is a cheap little 3.2GHz dual-core that people are regularly reporting overclocking into the 4.5GHz+ range. The mobo is a solid ASUS, even if it's on an older H81 chipset (but it still has a UEFI BIOS); so while it won't be able to support the 5th Generation Broadwell chips when they eventually release (unlike my own Z97-A), it is still a Socket 1150 and can hold up to a i7 4770K or i7 4790K (an unlocked, stock 4GHz hyper-threaded quad core). It can't do SLI, but the board and the PSU could handle a mild overclock combined with the new power efficient Maxwell nVidia GPU's (not quite the GTX970, but probably the as-yet-to-be-released but inevitable GTX960 or GTX950). Still, it's a 430watt Corsair 80+ Bronze certified PSU for $16. It's also built inside a nice mid-tower ATX case by Corsair, that should last longer than the PC itself if treated right (the only reason I bought a new case for myself is because on my last one I skimped on a really cheap piece of shit case and regretted it). It's got good memory, and getting a second matching stick of Corsair Vengeance later will not be difficult at all. There's not a single piece that is over $60 after rebates. If I was to buy this now, it would make due with my old EVGA GTS450 graphics card and my old 21" ACER 1080p monitor.

Current total?

$319.42 Big Grin

And that's with all of the parts through Newegg, so I'd have free-shipping on it all because I'm a Premiere member; and they also would cover the shipping of anything that had to be returned or RMA'd as well! Thumbsup

I usually wait for after new years; some crazy sales happen around then. Good way to get good GPU's for half the price.

I also agree what you said about the Titan Z. Honestly, I think the whole damn thing was a ripoff, since it's cheaper just to combine two 780's than getting the Z.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
30-09-2014, 03:32 PM
(30-09-2014 09:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Don't worry about it.

Current total?

$319.42 Big Grin

Teach me, oh master, how to make a computer that is worth a damn; for I know not what I do. Worship Slaves

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-10-2014, 02:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 04:09 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(30-09-2014 03:32 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Teach me, oh master, how to make a computer that is worth a damn; for I know not what I do. Worship Slaves

First, soak up information like a sponge. Read reviews, previews, and benchmarks. I am by no means a tech guru, I don't get paid for this shit... Tongue

But seriously FT, if you have any questions, by all means post here on the boards. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would be more than willing to help you out if and when you get serious about building your own rig. Thumbsup

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/

http://www.anandtech.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/LinusTechTips

I actually got lucky too, as when I bought my motherboard I wasn't aware that the Z97 chipset on my motherboards would be forward compatible with the 5th Generation Broadwell chips forthcoming from Intel; at the time I just wanted a good i5 CPU and the Devil's Canyon i5 5690K was the best available. So yeah, serendipity stuck on that one. It was also the basis of this build here, which is what convinced me to sue it as the basis for my own build.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/pc-builds/152...g-pc-build

I also wasn't aware that the GTX900 series was about to drop, or else I'd have held off on the build for another week or two (and here serendipity missed). Not only that, but I probably would have done with an ASUS Stryx GTX970 over an EVGA. But the flip-side is that I also got lucky with Newegg being really cool with the refund, and with EVGA's Step-Up program that will allow me to trade in my current GTX770 for a GTX970 (so serendipity makes the rebound).

As is, I should end up with a good GTX970 SLI setup once the cards are back in stock, and my motherboard will support the next generation of Intel CPU's if and when I decide to replace my i5. I also have more than enough RAM at 16GB (and Corsair's lifetime warranty), and the 1TB Blue HDD hasn't even hit 10% capacity with all the games I've been installing. I really like the case, and don't see why I won't keep on using it long into the future. The PSU has more power than I need and is semi-modular and has a 7 year warranty. The mobo won't be out of date anytime soon with the aforementioned Z97 chipset, but also an M.2 socket and SATA Express (10Gb/s) ports which are both looking to usurp the current SSD/HDD standard bearer SATA 6Gb/s.

My next upgrades will probably be in the CPU or OS categories (like if Windows 9 miraculously doesn't suck) or maybe getting a Blu-Ray drive, because I really have everything else covered right now...

Update 4

Any who, got around to ordering a new set of fans. Going to put those in, and while I'm in the case, reconfigure my H100i cooler into a pull configuration so that it's easier to clean. Picked up a set of 3 corsair AF120 Quiet Edition fans for the front (yes, the case can mount all 3 in front), and a single AF140 Quiet Edition for the exhaust. Also picked up a Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 USB Connector Circumaural Dolby 7.1 Gaming Headset (hooray for 7.1 surround), a Corsair Vengeance M65 Gunmetal Black Wired Laser 8200 dpi Gaming Mouse (with an aluminum body), a Corsair Vengeance MM600 Gaming Mouse Mat (also aluminum, as I've heard nothing but good things about this metal mat), and a Corsair Vengeance K65 Compact Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (Cherry MX Red switches, brushed aluminum finish, no bullshit breakable LED lights).

Seeing a pattern here? Sorry, but I really do like Corsair's products. Their form factors are very sleek with an attractive minimalist aesthetic that I really appreciate. They're not covered in the gaudy bullshit that can accompany stuff from other manufacturers. But seriously, this stuff is gorgeous looking. Maybe it's just the motorcycle enthusiast or motor-head inside me, but I really like their use of aluminum.

[Image: 1281789-corsair-vengeance-k65-5.jpg]

[Image: 1500_right.png]

[Image: m60_viewb_lit_1_1.png]

[Image: 3293ae1f-3137-424d-b6b4-b35dc8e15ffc.png.web.v1.jpg]

Also, I picked up a new 23" 1080p ASUS monitor on sale as well (was $199, got it for $119). VS Series, 1920x1080, 2ms refresh, 50,000,000:1 contrast, and HDCP compliant (which was my biggest gripe with my current monitor).