Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
Evo, I've got a GTX670, and after seening this, as well as thinking about buying games in the future, how long do you think my GPU will hold? Take into account that I'm not going to bother with 2K. The rest of the rig should be adequate for the future, but I just wanna ask around with the 670, since I do like running games on Ultra.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2014, 08:56 AM
(01-10-2014 06:35 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Evo, I've got a GTX670, and after seening this, as well as thinking about buying games in the future, how long do you think my GPU will hold? Take into account that I'm not going to bother with 2K. The rest of the rig should be adequate for the future, but I just wanna ask around with the 670, since I do like running games on Ultra.

It's my understanding that the GTX970 is marketed, both power and price wise, for those in the 400/500/600 series looking to upgrade. If you were to get a new card, go for the GTX970. But if you're happy with your GTX670, maybe wait for either a GTX960 or GTX950 if you're looking for a budget upgrade, or just wait another year for the next generation.

That being said, the consoles are currently having enough trouble with 1080p as is, so if your card can handle that relatively well, I don't see a reason to need to upgrade yet.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Looks nice man.

I have been thinking about upping my main pc to 16gb of ram. Chrome is such a memory glutton so sometime I use it when I am really multitasking. An SSD is always nice, but then again there is always "something nice" you could have with any build.

Should do you for a while, until you get your next upgrade itch Thumbsup . If you plan any games I like make sure to post about it.
08-10-2014, 12:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2014 12:55 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Update 5

Well, the new fans are a marked improvement. The two stock Corsair AF140L fans were nice, but the trio of AF120 Quiet Edition fans is both cooler and quieter (and much better looking). I also rearranged all of the fan hookups and now have them all separately (with the exception of the two on the H100i, both of which are tied to the single CPU fan controller) connected to and controlled by the ASUS Z97-A motherboard. Went and re-installed the H100i cooler, and remounted the cooling block with a fresh application of Arctic Silver 5 (less is more folks), and cleaned out what dust had already accumulated in the radiator. Now it's setup for exhaust out the top of the case in a pull configuration, so any dust will collect on the exposed underside of the radiator and can easily be cleaned out to help maintain peak performance.

I also canceled my Step-Up upgrade with EVGA! Gasp

Only to immediately start it again, only this time with a different card. When I initially signed up, there were only two GTX900 series cards in the program, the stock GTX980 and the base GTX97- with EVGA's ACX 1.0 cooler on it. Now as it turns out, they've been getting a lot of blow-back for the ACX 1.0 cooler, as it is essentially the same cooler used on the GTX760. The cooler is larger than it needs to be, maybe due to the fact that only two of it's three copper heat-pipes actually touch the Maxwell chip, as it was designed originally for it's larger Kepler precursor. This however is rectified with the ACX 2.0 system that EVGA has on their more premium cards.

This image shows a GTX970 with the current ACX 1.0 setup, and the underutilized third copper heat-pipe.

[Image: O63MVHx-e1411375506488.jpg]

This is the ACX 2.0 cooler that will be used on the GTX970 FTW version that I'm now in line to get.

[Image: HSF_575px.jpg]

So they've since added the GTX970 ACX 2.0 FTW (For The Win) version to their Step-Up program, at a $40 premium over the base model. Now considering that the FTW version benchmarks within swinging range of a stock GTX980 and EVGA is giving away free back-plates to those who register before early November (their card's other big criticism), I decided I'd rather pay the premium for the better performance and better cooling solution. It also has an extra VRM, which should further reduce the coil-whine that some others have complained about with EVGA's GTX970 series. So I had to reset my position in the queue, but I think the wait will be worth it.

[Image: 67900.png]

[Image: graph-06.png]

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-10-2014, 02:36 AM
(03-10-2014 08:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That being said, the consoles are currently having enough trouble with 1080p as is, so if your card can handle that relatively well, I don't see a reason to need to upgrade yet.
Why do you say "currently"? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-10-2014, 03:09 AM
(08-10-2014 02:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-10-2014 08:56 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  That being said, the consoles are currently having enough trouble with 1080p as is, so if your card can handle that relatively well, I don't see a reason to need to upgrade yet.

Because in a few years PS5 and Xbox Do-over will be out.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-10-2014, 09:41 AM
(08-10-2014 03:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(08-10-2014 02:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Why do you say "currently"? Consider

Because in a few years PS5 and Xbox Do-over will be out.

Then the question is how long it will take for smartphones and tablets to be significantly powerful enough to compete against consoles, which Apple, Samsung and so will do... Unless they're fucking stupid...

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
10-10-2014, 01:40 AM
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/viv...68241#null

All hail the "next-gen" consoles. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-10-2014, 03:22 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-2014 06:34 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-10-2014 02:36 AM)Vosur Wrote:  

Because neither console seems able to consistently hit 60fps at 1080p, and we're seeing a lot of this down scaling crap show up with Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Shadow of Mordor.

It used to be that a console would get you a machine that could match a high end gaming PC for the year it came out, and would be reasonable for it's lifetime. But that's just not the case this generation. These consoles were released with technology already behind the lead, and have been rapidly falling further behind. Building a $500 PC that can run current AAA titles at 60FPS with High/Ultra settings is easily doable.

Now as developers get more acclimated to the consoles, they will eek out more performance as they program closer to the metal. However, will they use that extra performance to hit higher resolutions and more frames? Or will they cull their console consumers into submission with increases in graphical 'fidelity' while continuing to cut corners in resolution and frame-rate?

At lot of this has to do with power consumption, as both the XBone and the PS4 have a total power consumption that is a fraction of my PC (in fact they consume less power in total than my graphics card does by itself). Consoles have to be in relatively small and quiet form factors, so they can only use so much power because using more wattage increases heat. To keep heat under control you need to either sacrifice noise or size, and the consoles generally don't budge on either. They're basically uniformly produced one-size-fits-all home theater PC's with custom operating systems.

If you have the space, the technical know-how, and don't mind greater noise, size, and power consumption; there's really never been a better time to invest in a gaming PC. The current consoles will ensure that major AAA releases will be aiming for incredibly low targets while PC equipment continues to further outpace the consoles. That means that you don't need a $2000+ enthusiast rig to game at 4K, because if you're already happy with 1080p, the current consoles will keep that a relevant standard for some time to come; and building a PC that can hit that resolution at a solid frame-rate has never been cheaper. Especially with the release of the GTX900 series from nVidia, which basically cut out the legs from under AMD's lineup (for reference, a stock second tier GTX970 card can go toe-to-toe with the flagship AMD R9 290X, and the GTX970 is a $320 card to AMD's $500 flagship).

This was from nVidia's E3 2013 presentation.

[Image: nvidia_gpu_chargt.jpg]

Keep in mind, the $320 GTX970 either matches or out-performed (in real-world gaming) the $1K GTX Titan you see on this graph. The inevitable mid and lower range GTX900 series cards will make things even better in the cost/performance ratio for those looking to build a console killer within the next year.

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
11-10-2014, 04:19 AM
(11-10-2014 03:22 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Because neither console seems able to consistently hit 60fps at 1080p, and we're seeing a lot of this down scaling crap show up with Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Shadow of Mordor.
Yeah, I get that. I thought you were implying that this is going to change at some point. Tongue