Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2014, 03:54 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
So now that I have a job (and as an extension, money) I think I too am going to build a new gaming rig.
I figured I can salvage my last one for hardware that I can still use with a new rig and and just make some sort of upgraded Frankenstein thing.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2014, 02:09 AM
(12-10-2014 03:54 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  So now that I have a job (and as an extension, money) I think I too am going to build a new gaming rig.
I figured I can salvage my last one for hardware that I can still use with a new rig and and just make some sort of upgraded Frankenstein thing.

That depends entirely on how old everything is.

Right off the bat, do you know...

Your motherboard make, model, and socket type?

Your power supply make, model, and power rating?

What type of RAM you are running?

What type of CPU you have?

What size and form factors does your computer case support?

What connectors your hard drive is using?

Also if you have a pre-built machine from HP, DELL, or whoever; then you need to start from scratch. Their machines are not built to be taken apart or have piecemeal upgrades applied to them (short of possible adding more RAM into empty slots). Their stuff is often soldiered together and not meant to be reused or recycled.

Salvaging an old motherboard limits your CPU, RAM, and GPU options. My last computer's motherboard was up-to-date when I built it, back in 2008. It was an ASUS P5N-E with an Intel LGA-775 socket and the motherboard was built for DDR2 RAM, and it supported PCI Express x16 2.0. So CPU's for this socket haven't been made in years and are generations (plural) behind, would not be able to run the now standard DDR3 RAM, and would not be able to utilize modern PCI Express X16 3.0 standard cards at full bandwidth.

Also, a minimum of 8GB of system RAM in addition to at least 2GB of VRAM for any graphics card worth a damn, means you need an x64-bit OS to utilize all of that extra memory. So if you plan on salvaging a hard-drive with Windows Home 7 32-bit (x86), you'll be knee-capping yourself with a 4GB memory limit. And that is total memory, system RAM and the graphic card's own VRAM all count as one big chunk.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-10-2014, 03:42 AM
Don't remember the mobo make and model but it was cheap back when I made it (2009) so it's likely very out of date now. I was gonna replace it anyway.

The PSU is a Corsair, 600watt. 600watt wont be enough so that'll also need to be replaced.

Don't remember but it was cheap. DDR2? Maaaaaybe 3 but Im guessing 2.
I was gonna replace that anyway.

AMD something. Ummm, some quad core 2.8ghz. Phenom?
I was going to replace that too.

It's a very large case.

A ribbon of some sort.

I custom built it back in 09' so when I say Im gonna salvage it for parts I mean things like cd drive, harddrive (and I do have windows something x64 on it but I can just download whatever os I need anyway).
I was going to update pretty much everything else. Maybe even the harddrive, I think it only has a 250g which wont cunt the mustard.

Fuck it, I'll just start again. New case and everything. Not much expenses spared.

[Image: oscar.png]
13-10-2014, 03:51 AM
(13-10-2014 03:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The PSU is a Corsair, 600watt. 600watt wont be enough so that'll also need to be replaced.
Why do you think that? I have a 580W PSU and it's more than sufficient.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-10-2014, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 13-10-2014 01:33 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-10-2014 03:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't remember the mobo make and model but it was cheap back when I made it (2009) so it's likely very out of date now. I was gonna replace it anyway.

The PSU is a Corsair, 600watt. 600watt wont be enough so that'll also need to be replaced.

Don't remember but it was cheap. DDR2? Maaaaaybe 3 but Im guessing 2.
I was gonna replace that anyway.

AMD something. Ummm, some quad core 2.8ghz. Phenom?
I was going to replace that too.

It's a very large case.

A ribbon of some sort.

I custom built it back in 09' so when I say Im gonna salvage it for parts I mean things like cd drive, harddrive (and I do have windows something x64 on it but I can just download whatever os I need anyway).
I was going to update pretty much everything else. Maybe even the harddrive, I think it only has a 250g which wont cunt the mustard.

Fuck it, I'll just start again. New case and everything. Not much expenses spared.

If you're looking to scrap the mobo, then everything goes. So long as the hard-drive has some sort of SATA connector for data, you can easily salvage that and just get a cheap $50~60 1TB HDD storage drive. Western Digital has a Caviar Blue (1TB, 64MB cache, 72000RPM, SATA 6Gb/s) series that regularly sells for $55 on Newegg.

First up is picking a new mobo. I'm quite partial to ASUS, as I've used them for every machine I've built and they've yet to let me down. I like their UEFI BIOS and their reliability. I've also heard good things about ASRock, Gigabyte, MSI, and EVGA boards as well, but I've never used one myself. After that it's a choice between Intel and AMD. I'm not that familiar with the current AMD crop, as I do tend to stick with Intel for their better optimized core performance.

That being said, if you invest in an Intel motherboard with the LGA1150 socket and a Z97 chipset, you'll not only have access to the latest Haswell-E refresh chips (Devil's Canyon), but it will also support Intel's 5th generation Broadwell chips that will be launching next year. Now the nice thing about Broadwell is that they will be a refined Haswell architecture, using a smaller manufacturing process (from 22nm down to 16nm), resulting in greater efficiency for less power and heat generation (and conversely better overclocking potential as the stock thermal ceiling lowers). Now combine that platform with nVidia's latest 2nd generation Maxwell based GPU's (the GTX900 series), these cards sip power in comparison to their earlier GTX700 series counterparts. The recommended PSU for a GTX970 is a 500 watt, so as long as your Corsair PSU is in good working order, you can get a decent GPU. I would be wary of AMD/ATI's Radeon and R7/R9 series as they have some of the loudest, most power-hungry, and hottest running cards currently available.

For a budget build (assuming you reuse your OS, case, and PSU), I'd go with this...

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/EvolutionKi...ved/BZBzK8

Motherboard

ASUS Z97-P

[Image: overview.png]

The latest Intel Z97 chipset and the LGA1150 socket makes this a real forward looking motherboard, able to run current Haswell-E refresh and upcoming Broadwell CPU's. The board has 4 DIMM slots and supports overclocked RAM up to 3200. No Crossfire/SLI support, but it does have on board graphics depending in the CPU, connectors for four SATA 6Gb/s (for HHD, SSD, and optical drives), on board Ethernet (Realtek 8111GR Gigabit LAN), on board audio (Realtek ALC891 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC), and six USB ports (four of which are USB 3.0). All of that in a standard ATX form factor, and with ASUS's EUFI BIOS and motherboard fan control.

Secondary option?

MSI Z97 PC Mate (and this board's blue accents would match the blue Corsair RAM, and this one supports Crossfire if you plan on going with a Radeon GPU)

CPU

Intel Pentium G3258

[Image: pentium-box.jpg]

WHAT? A Pentium! Wait! Put down that tar and those feather and hear me out! The Haswell-E refresh (Devil's Canyon) included three separate CPU's. A new set of K-series unlocked SKU Core series chips (the i7 4790K @ 4GHz and the i5 4690K @ 3.5GHz that I currently have), and an unlocked '20th Anniversary' Pentium. This is that chip. It is a simple Pentium with a stock clock of 3.2GHz for two cores and no hyper-threading. That being said, many games still don't make heavy use of more than two cores, and this CPU is very overclock friendly. These things can easily reach the 4.5GHz+ range on air cooling, with very respectable performance for the super low price point. At higher clock speeds, this chip and easily swing with much more expensive CPU's in real-world game performance; and once this is no longer enough, you can easily upgrade to either a Haswell or Broadwell Core series CPU. Just make sure you get a upgraded CPU cooler to go with it.

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overc...rocessor/3

[Image: c3-fps.gif]

Secondary Option?

i5 4690K (bite the bullet and get a decent i5)

Memory

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

[Image: veng_b_angle_1_1.png]

It's Corsair, so you are getting a quality product with a lifetime warranty. This is DDR3 RAM with a mild 1600 overclock and 9 CAS latency at 1.5 volts via Intel XMP profile. This particular set is blue, but you can also get them in black and red (and in low profile too) for a few dollars more. Get whatever you think looks best, if you're that worried about looks. This will fill up half of the motherboard's 240 pin DIMM slots, allowing for a later upgrade to 16GB by buying another matched set.

Secondary option?

G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (also covered with a lifetime warranty)

Storage

Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

[Image: 22-236-338-TS?$S300$]

It's WD's Blue series, offering 1TB of space in a 3.5" drive with a standard 72000RPM and 64MB cache. This is one of the cheapest 1TB drives you can get, and usually comes as a bare OEM drive. I'm actually using this one right now, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Secondary option?

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Discreet Graphics Card

ASUS GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

[Image: TopB.jpg]

GTX 750Ti from ASUS, this card is actually a first generation Maxwell GPU (the rest of the GTX700 series are older Kepler chips, and the GTX900 series is 2nd generation Maxwell). This makes the card very efficient with good performance for very low power consumption (this entire mobo/CPU/GPU setup has ~225 watt estimated usage). This one comes in around the $120 dollar range, so it'll be fine for now, but you won't be crying when you replace it for a GTX900 series later.

Secondary option?

EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-10-2014, 09:51 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2014 09:55 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Update 6

Fuck yeah, finally got a hold of one of those fucking elusive EVGA GTX 970 FTW cards on Newegg! Not only that, but it also came with a $50 EVGA TORQ X10 laser gaming mouse. Well, somebody is getting re-gifted a gaming mouse this year for Christmas. So now I'm just waiting on EVGA to get their Step-Up program in order, and once I get the green light from them, I'll be shipping my GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked back to them for my second GTX 970 FTW. But since I'll have the Newegg one before the end of next week, I won't be without a GPU whenever I do ship my card out to be upgraded. Not only that, but I will at least get one free backplate as well. Hopefully I can get the second card before the promotion runs out.

EDIT: Nevermind. From EVGA...

**Step-Up Requests submitted before November 9th, 2014 11:59 PM PST will automatically ship with a backplate while supplies last. No action is required on this page in order to receive your backplate.

[Image: download.axd?file=0;2227910&wher...omo_v1.jpg]

EVGA TORQ X10
[Image: 26-188-001-TS?$S300$]

EVGA GTX 970 FTW
[Image: 970-FTW-1b.png]

24-10-2014, 10:36 PM
(24-10-2014 09:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Update 6

Fuck yeah, finally got a hold of one of those fucking elusive EVGA GTX 970 FTW cards on Newegg! Not only that, but it also came with a $50 EVGA TORQ X10 laser gaming mouse. Well, somebody is getting re-gifted a gaming mouse this year for Christmas. So now I'm just waiting on EVGA to get their Step-Up program in order, and once I get the green light from them, I'll be shipping my GTX 770 Dual SuperClocked back to them for my second GTX 970 FTW. But since I'll have the Newegg one before the end of next week, I won't be without a GPU whenever I do ship my card out to be upgraded. Not only that, but I will at least get one free backplate as well. Hopefully I can get the second card before the promotion runs out.

**Step-Up Requests submitted before November 9th, 2014 11:59 PM PST will automatically ship with a backplate while supplies last. No action is required on this page in order to receive your backplate.

EVGA TORQ X10

EVGA GTX 970 FTW

That mouse looks both obnoxious and not at all comfortable.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-10-2014, 10:53 PM
(24-10-2014 10:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 09:51 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Update 6

EVGA TORQ X10

EVGA GTX 970 FTW

That mouse looks both obnoxious and not at all comfortable.

Yeah, I agree. Compare the EVAG TORQ X10...

To my current Corsair M65.

[Image: M65_08S.jpg]

Honestly, they're both overkill anyways, as I don't push the DPI settings anywhere near the limit.

25-10-2014, 12:03 AM
(24-10-2014 10:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:36 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  That mouse looks both obnoxious and not at all comfortable.

Yeah, I agree. Compare the EVAG TORQ X10...

Honestly, they're both overkill anyways, as I don't push the DPI settings anywhere near the limit.

I think mine looks a tad more comfortable:

[Image: B00CJD4HD2_G500s_CTG_lg.jpg]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-10-2014, 10:45 PM
(25-10-2014 12:03 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(24-10-2014 10:53 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeah, I agree. Compare the EVAG TORQ X10...

I think mine looks a tad more comfortable:

[Image: B00CJD4HD2_G500s_CTG_lg.jpg]

That looks like a... Logitech? Consider But yeah, more comfortable than that TORQ.

I also checked the shipping on my GTX 970 and mouse combo, and it's scheduled for early delivery! I'll have it by end-of-day Wednesday, just in time for my two nights off! My PNY XLR8 240GB SSD should be arriving the day after that on Thursday. With these, and once I upgrade my GTX 770 to another GTX 970, I'll be done fucking around with this computer for the time being. That is until I need to eventually replace my CPU, but that won't be until after we see what the Broadwell lineup is like after it releases next year. Even then, I'll probably give it another year or so and grab a cheap i7 Broadwell-E unlocked SKU chip after Skylake has launched. Tongue

[Image: pny-xlr8-pro-240gb-ssd-custom-pc-review-14.jpg]