Finally building a new gaming rig!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2014, 06:35 AM
RE: Finally building a new gaming rig!
Quote:Especially considering that a stand-alone Wfii PCI card will probably set you back an easy $50, getting one with it built in might not be a bad idea.

No it wont, they're only about $30 tops.
I went with the Z97-A because I couldn't find the Z97-P. But yea I mean it did all the same things and was a good price so I thought it'd be ok.

My bad about the heatsink, I basically just clicked on one wasn't paying attention to the heatsinks.
I'll have a deeper look and take you up on some of your suggestions.

I'm gonna get it all from this place because they're really good and they're just up the road from me (but I'll order it online and have it delivered). I was in there the other day having a look at cases (of which they didn't have many in store to select from but the man did suggest to look on the website which is what I was gonna do) and I showed him a list of the mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, hdd and he agreed it was a good gaming build. He did however suggest an i5 or i7 instead because the g3258 wont be fantastic on higher end games but I'm fine with that so I'm gonna stick with the g3258. And he also suggested getting 1x8GB RAM rather than 2x4GB RAM, something about something (that naturally I nodded my head along too pretending I knew what the fuck he was talking about).. They're the exact same price so I'm gonna change the RAM to the 1x8GB stick version.

Probably get it all tomorrow (Monday).

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 08:02 AM
(08-11-2014 06:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Especially considering that a stand-alone Wfii PCI card will probably set you back an easy $50, getting one with it built in might not be a bad idea.

I went with the Z97-A because I couldn't find the Z97-P. But yea I mean it did all the same things and was a good price so I thought it'd be ok.

My bad about the heatsink, I basically just clicked on one wasn't paying attention to the heatsinks.

I'm gonna get it all from this place because they're really good and they're just up the road from me (but I'll order it online and have it delivered). I was in there the other day having a look at cases (of which they didn't have many in store to select from but the man did suggest to look on the website which is what I was gonna do) and I showed him a list of the mobo, cpu, gpu, ram, hdd and he agreed it was a good gaming build. He did however suggest an i5 or i7 instead because the g3258 wont be fantastic on higher end games but I'm fine with that so I'm gonna stick with the g3258. And he also suggested getting 1x8GB RAM rather than 2x4GB RAM, something about something (that naturally I nodded my head along too pretending I knew what the fuck he was talking about).. They're the exact same price so I'm gonna change the RAM to the 1x8GB stick version.

You will probably get better performance with 2x4Gb since the memory accesses will be interleaved; there are at least two memory channels.
However, if you want to add memory in the future, you may have to toss the 4Gb sticks to replace them with 8Gb ones.

Performance now vs. expansion later.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
08-11-2014, 08:30 AM
(08-11-2014 08:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  You will probably get better performance with 2x4Gb since the memory accesses will be interleaved; there are at least two memory channels.
However, if you want to add memory in the future, you may have to toss the 4Gb sticks to replace them with 8Gb ones.

Another factor to consider is that when you use 2x4GB RAM sticks and of them dies, you need only replace one of them. When the 8GB RAM stick dies, however, you're left with no RAM at all. I don't think expansion is going to be much of an issue, though, considering that his motherboard has 4 RAM slots.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Yeah, always spread your RAM across as many slots as your CPU has memory channels, and make sure you put them into the slots your mobo manual says to. Otherwise you sacrifice a major chunk of your RAM performance. You have space for 4 DIMMs on the Z97-A so I don't an expandability argument here. You'll still have two spare slots as far as I can see.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
08-11-2014, 09:46 AM
(08-11-2014 08:30 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 08:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  You will probably get better performance with 2x4Gb since the memory accesses will be interleaved; there are at least two memory channels.

Another factor to consider is that when you use 2x4GB RAM sticks and of them dies, you need only replace one of them. When the 8GB RAM stick dies, however, you're left with no RAM at all. I don't think expansion is going to be much of an issue, though, considering that his motherboard has 4 RAM slots.

Yeah, with 4 slots expansion is not a big concern.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2014, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 12:25 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-11-2014 06:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  

Well, just be sure you get a good deal. That $168 EVGA GTX750Ti SuperClocked 2GB on Newegg NZ I found? PB Tech wants $274.85 for the damn thing! Shocking

They want $240.53 for the ASUS GTX750Ti Overclocked 2GB too... Dodgy

Those are both sub-$200 graphics cards, selling them for almost $300 is highway robbery.

If you insist on getting everyhitng there, probably the best bang for your buck will be the $217.35 EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 750 2GB FTW version.

[Image: VGAEVG2758__1.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
08-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I started building a computer at the end of last year but then lost my job so had to do just enough to get it running. I've been offered a job now though, a year later, so I am thinking about finishing it.

Intel i7-4771
Gigabyte H87-HD3
32 GB Kingston HyperX (Originally only 16GB, the extra ram came yesterday).
Corsair 80+ gold HX750 PSU
I stuck with a Black Western Digital hard disk rather than an SSD because I wanted longevity

I'm not interested in overclocking, hence the CPU and motherboard.

At the moment it has my old Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 in it which I bought in 2010 and so the next thing to buy is a new graphics card. The motherboard can do Crossfire but not SLi so I am thinking ATI Radeon rather than Nvidia. But I could spend the extra money and max out the PSU with a single graphics card so that I am free to choose any make. I also dual boot Windows and Linux which might mean a single Nvidia is better.

Any suggestions?
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 06:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  No it wont, they're only about $30 tops.

Well, just be sure you get a good deal. That $168 EVGA GTX750Ti SuperClocked 2GB on Newegg NZ I found? PB Tech wants $274.85 for the damn thing! Shocking

Those are both sub-$200 graphics cards, selling them for almost $300 is highway robbery.

If you insist on getting everyhitng there, probably the best bang for your buck will be the $217.35 EVGA EVGA GeForce GTX 750 2GB FTW version.

I haven't compared prices on everything between PBTech and Newegg yet.
I'm not against buying things from newegg, I only want to use PB Tech because I can put it on my Q Card (3months interest free credit card I can only use at certain stores) and I can't buy it all from newegg because I only have $500 in my savings (though more like $480 available funds because I've run out of food money, I went a tad ham this week on food).
In saying that, I can some things from newegg and other things from PB Tech.
I'll have to compare prices to figure out what site to buy what from.

Oh and yea, NZ computer parts are so expensive. I always hear "you could build that for $500 easy.." ummm well no I can't, I live in NZ...
Video games used to be expensive as all hell too until buying games online came along and forced prices down. You always heard how America payed $60US ($77NZ) for new releases (and how they complained about that), yet we were paying $120NZ ($93US) for most of out new releases. Nowadays however I can't remember the last time I spent more than $90NZ on a game. And that's for the physical copy. If I was to buy something off steam it'd be like $1.

Quote:You will probably get better performance with 2x4Gb since the memory accesses will be interleaved; there are at least two memory channels.

Back to two sticks of 4GB it is. Cheer brah.

[Image: oscar.png]
08-11-2014, 05:35 PM
(08-11-2014 04:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh and yea, NZ computer parts are so expensive. I always hear "you could build that for $500 easy.." ummm well no I can't, I live in NZ...

Oh, Lordy Lordy, do I know that feel!

On a similar note; based on EK's suggestions from many moons ago, I think I have lined up some things which might be able to work as slightly more than my current glorified calculator and from which I can upgrade when the cash flows more freely.

But I haven't picked any video card or cpu cooler yet...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-11-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:45 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(08-11-2014 04:31 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 12:17 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Well, just be sure you get a good deal. That $168 EVGA GTX750Ti SuperClocked 2GB on Newegg NZ I found? PB Tech wants $274.85 for the damn thing! Shocking

I haven't compared prices on everything between PBTech and Newegg yet.
I'm not against buying things from newegg, I only want to use PB Tech because I can put it on my Q Card (3months interest free credit card I can only use at certain stores) and I can't buy it all from newegg because I only have $500 in my savings (though more like $480 available funds because I've run out of food money, I went a tad ham this week on food).
In saying that, I can some things from newegg and other things from PB Tech.
I'll have to compare prices to figure out what site to buy what from.

Oh and yea, NZ computer parts are so expensive. I always hear "you could build that for $500 easy.." ummm well no I can't, I live in NZ...
Video games used to be expensive as all hell too until buying games online came along and forced prices down. You always heard how America payed $60US ($77NZ) for new releases (and how they complained about that), yet we were paying $120NZ ($93US) for most of out new releases. Nowadays however I can't remember the last time I spent more than $90NZ on a game. And that's for the physical copy. If I was to buy something off steam it'd be like $1.

Quote:You will probably get better performance with 2x4Gb since the memory accesses will be interleaved; there are at least two memory channels.

Back to two sticks of 4GB it is. Cheer brah.

Well, the majority budget on just about any build is the motherboard, CPU, and GPU. We're cheating and spending a little more on the mobo to cheat a lot on a really cheap CPU. That leaves the GPU, so make sure you can get the best price on that. But it all depends on who has what and when. But if you can save $150 on the GPU at Newegg and lose $50 buying the mobo at PB, you're still ahead $100 comparatively speaking. It's your money muffs, just be careful with it. Thumbsup

Also, did you look at PB's motherboard selection? Their cheapest ASUS board with a Intel Z97 chip is the $182.85 ASUS Z97M-Plus, which is a Micro-ATX (smaller than ATX, larger than Mini-ATX), has 4 DIMM slots for RAM, a few PCI-E slots (supports Crossfire, but not SLI).

Still, if you can afford at least $400 from Newegg, I'd get the $180 ASUS Z97-A motherboard and the $168 EVGA GTX750Ti Superclocked. Get the CPU at PB, because it's $90 both there and at Newegg NZ.

As for cases, there are none on Newegg NZ, so get those at PB. Remember that you need one that will fit the sized motherboard you have, and to get one that will fit a full sized ATX board you're looking at spending at least $100 at PB. I found two that looked promising , the $102.35 Cooler Master K282 and the $125.35 Corsair 200R. Both will get you a painted interior, which is a plus over a bare metal one. Neither have side windows, but rather a solid panel with vents and fan mounting holes. While the Cooler Master is cheaper, you get only a single fan. The extra $20 for the Corsair gets you 2 fans, and their pre-mounted mother board risers with center mounting nub (makes installing the motherboard really easy), and top vents with enough space for a dual length radiator (2x120mm fans, like a Corsair H100i). Both have USB 3.0 on the front of the case, in addition to Mic-In and audio jacks. Honestly I prefer the cleaner look of the Corsair, and the extra fan is nice, and they make really good fluid-dynamic bearing fans to boot.

You can probably get a CPU cooler at PB as well. For the record, LGA1150 have fan mounting sockets at the same spacing and dimension as LGA1155, so any fan rated to fit LGA1155 will fit on a LGA1150 motherboard and vice versa. The two cheapest LGA1150 compatible tower-coolers I could find at PB were the $26.39 Deepcool Ice Edge Mini and the $29.84 Deepcool Gammaxx 200. The extra money gets you a slightly larger radiator and fan, but don't forget some thermal paste to go along with it.

If you end up getting a power supply at PB, you'll want two things; a 80+ Certified box from a reliable company (remember this controls the quality of power to everything else, a bad PSU can fry a whole system), and at least 500W of power. Now to save money, you could reuse your old 600W Corsair for the time being if you don't mind only having one PC up at a time. Looking at PB's list, they do have a $72.48 Huntkey 550W, but it's not 80+ Certified and they're a no-name to me. You'll be looking at at least the $132.25 for the Corsair CS550M before you find a decently rated and reliable PSU that will meet your eventual power needs. On the plus side the Corsair is 80+ Gold Certified, semi-modular, and has a 3 year warranty with lifetime tech support. Of course that $60 PSU you found on Newegg NZ was 80+ Certified (standard, not gold), had a shit-ton of positive reviews and was also semi-modular, so that seems like a decent pick as well if you have the savings pool for it. That being said, for a little more, the $70.94 FirePower ZT Series 650W at Newegg NZ get you a 80+ Bronze certified, fully-modular, 650W power supply with a 5 year limited warranty (while being almost half the price of the Corsair 550W).

Also, get your 1TB Seagate Barracuda at PB, it's a $15 markup ($70.94 vs $86.25), but it saves your possible Newegg pool for better discounts on more expensive items.

Your best bargain for RAM at PB would be the $136.85 G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2x4GB), but if you have extra savings left over for Newegg usage, you might consider the $96.74 Team Zeus Red 8GB (2 x 4GB). They're both DDR3 running at 1600MHz and 1.5V, CAS latency of 9, with identical 9-9-9-24 timing. Still, a much lower priority for Newegg than the massive savings available on the motherboard and GPU.

Unless you want to spend another $40+ for an internal DVD drive, swipe the old one from your previous computer.

At this point buying the ASUS Z97A, the EVGA GTX750Ti Superclocked, and the FirePower ZT 650W power supply through Newegg NZ would cost you about $420 before taxes and shipping, but would cost you well over $700 to get comparable parts at PB. I'd highly suggest you spend your available savings for Newegg NZ purchases on these items, as they give you the best price differential over PB.

[Image: banner.jpg]

[Image: 14-487-024-TS?$S300$]

[Image: 17-341-051-11.jpg]

After that the total for the Corsair 200R case, G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB (2x4GB), Deepcool Gammaxx 200, Deepcool Z3 themal compound, Intel G3258 Pentium, and Seagate 1TB Barracuda bought at PB would set you back $475.98 before taxes (or $158.63 a month for 3 months).

Then wait another year, and grab a GTX900 series card either right before or right after the holiday season. By then they should have more than just the GTX980 and GTX970 (which even right now, the cheapest GTX970 is $425 on Newegg NZ for a ZOTAC ZT-90101-10P). Hopefully by then nVidia has fleshed out their line with the presumably cheaper GTX960 and GTX950. The GTX970 is already a comaprative steal, as it's nVidias second-tier card but it can slap aroud the AMD flagship single GPU, the $500USD/$650NZ Radeon R9 290X, so right now there is little incentive for nVidia to drop their prices at the moment. Once AMD's next generation comes out, we should see nVidia price drops to compete.

Anandtech.com Wrote:It’s only fitting then that with the GTX 970 now up and running we find ourselves in a virtual tie between NVIDIA and AMD. Despite not even being NVIDIA’s flagship GM204 card, the GTX 970 is still fast enough to race the R9 290X to a dead heat – at 1440p the GTX 970 averages just 1% faster than the R9 290X. Only at 4K can AMD’s flagship pull ahead, and even then the situation becomes reversed entirely in NVIDIA’s favor at 1080p. As such the R9 290X still has a niche of its own, but considering the fact that GTX 970 is a $329 card I don’t seriously expect it to be used for 4K gaming, so the 1440p and 1080p comparisons are going to be the most appropriate comparisons here.

Anandtech.com GTX970 Review

Also, if Newegg NZ continues to be a dick and showing stuff it won't actually ship to New Zealand? Get it on Amazon and just ship it internationally. While Amazon doesn't have a dedicated New Zealand website, they will ship to New Zealand.

So that being said, I found the same EVGA GTX750Ti Superclocked 2GB card at Amazon for $129USD (or $167.69 at current conversion rate, or basically the same $168 Newegg NZ was advertising).

Also it turns out that $90NZD is the going conversion rate ($1USD=$1.27NZD) for the $70USD Intel G2358 CPU, so at least you're not getting fucked over on that one. Tongue

But if Amazon with international shipping works out for you, you can get just about everything you'd need.

Corsair Carbide 200R case - $59.99USD / $77.39NZD
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) - $77.83USD / $100.40NZD
G.Skill Ripjaw 8GB (2x4GB) - $87.95USD / $113.46NZD
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - CPU Cooler - $18.99USD / $24.50NZD
EVGA 500W 80PLUS Certified ATX12V/EPS12V Power Supply - $39.99USD / $51.59NZD
ASUS Z97-A ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 Motherboard - $139.99USD / $180.59NZD
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD - $49.99USD / $64.49NZD
ASUS DRW-24F1ST - DVD SATA SUPERMULTI Burner - $19.29USD / $24.88NZD

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]