Finally coming out

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 10:40 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 10:43 AM by ollydolly.)
Finally coming out
I've written a letter to my parents telling them that I'm an atheist. I'm so scared to give it to them, but it must be done. I'm ready to come out. That doesn't seem to quell the panic I experience when I think about it though. Has anyone else "been there done that"?? How did your parents react?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ollydolly's post
17-01-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: Finally coming out
(17-01-2013 10:40 AM)ollydolly Wrote:  I've written a letter to my parents telling them that I'm an atheist. I'm so scared to give it to them, but it must be done. I'm ready to come out. That doesn't seem to quell the panic I experience when I think about it though. Has anyone else "been there done that"?? How did your parents react?
How old are you?

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Yep - I was going to ask your age before anything.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
17-01-2013, 10:58 AM
(17-01-2013 10:40 AM)ollydolly Wrote:  I've written a letter to my parents telling them that I'm an atheist. I'm so scared to give it to them, but it must be done. I'm ready to come out. That doesn't seem to quell the panic I experience when I think about it though. Has anyone else "been there done that"?? How did your parents react?

Why must it be done?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-01-2013, 11:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 11:16 AM by Vosur.)
I would suggest you to wait with coming out unless you are already 18 years old and do not depend on the (financial) support of your parents.

Consider

Well, it actually depends on how religious your parents are. My father, for example, is a "liberal" kind of Christian; he ultimately accepted my non-belief when I came out to him at the age of 17. There have been no repercussions for me.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
17-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Different people react so differently - you may want to think about it if you are financially dependent.

It's not all that important to come out... you can always come here and vent. We have lots of teens here, in case you are a teen.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-01-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm sure you have been thinking about this for a long time.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Hug

17-01-2013, 11:38 AM
I'm 21 and will be moving out soon but I am still relying on my parents for financial support for college. I guess there is no reason that I "MUST" come out, it's just an overwhelming feeling that I want to stop living a lie and tip-toeing around them. I'm not to worried about being disowned or financially cut off, my parents are very loving and I just think they deserve the truth :/
17-01-2013, 11:44 AM
You're the better judge of that, we don't know your parents.

It may not seem so important once you have moved out. Personally, I would wait til then.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
17-01-2013, 11:44 AM
(17-01-2013 11:38 AM)ollydolly Wrote:  I'm 21 and will be moving out soon but I am still relying on my parents for financial support for college. I guess there is no reason that I "MUST" come out, it's just an overwhelming feeling that I want to stop living a lie and tip-toeing around them. I'm not to worried about being disowned or financially cut off, my parents are very loving and I just think they deserve the truth :/

Then it sounds like you don't need to make it an 'event', just let it occur in conversation, in context.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user