Finally discovered I'm an atheist, Thank God! Lol.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Finally discovered I'm an atheist, Thank God! Lol.
Well this is my first post on here so I guess introductions are in order. I've hovered around these boards for a while, and finally joined the other day. I've learned a lot from many of you, as well as outspoken atheists on YouTube.
I'm from Cincinnati Ohio, just shy of dodging the Bible belt. So I grew up in a typical black Christian family. I've always been outspoken with my radical opinions, at least until recently.
Politics was a subject I frequently talked about on Facebook and IRL, but it wasn't until the past few months I started studying religion, again and really began pissing people off.
Two years ago, I started studying religion and was beginning to doubt. (I had this skewed view of reality, thinking the illuminati caused pretty much all the bad things in the world) Studying politics with a deep seeded religious background made me believe rich, powerful or bad people most likely sold their soul to Satan or whatever. I began believing maybe the Illuminati made changes to the Bible in order to control people on ahigher level than just our court system. (Which was at least a step in the right direction)
But then my fiancée passed away, which ironically made me cling to God even more than before. I guess the hope of being able to see her again is really all I wanted. Plus I had an extreme fear of death, which made that whole situation worse. So, after her funeral there was a guy who asked me "was she Christian?, I said yes and he says "thank God". It wasn't until later I realized, wait here we are surrounded by her Asian family, and you ask about her being Christian. So what about the rest of her family? Will you be saying thank God even though they are Buddhist? So what do you really think about these people, hopefully they'll find Christ and not burn in hell forever?
So fast forward to a few months ago, I began getting fed up with my fear of death and mostly fear of hell. So I began becoming "spiritual"; reading the book Conversations with God and other New age material. This gave me a hope for heaven that actually made sense, and explained how hell doesn't exist. As I read more into it I wanted to see what other parts of the Bible were untrue, so naturally I fell into atheist territory.
In an effort to see if my Christian friends would show me the error of my ways I began posting atheist Memes and such on my Facebook. Contradictions, misogynistic verses, and others; all of which were never debunked or responded to. (Except maybe with a stupid prayer) So I started seeing some of them unfriend me and they stopped speaking to me, all the support I used to have for doing a YouTube channel and everything went away when I started questioning religion. My own father said he would be OK with me burning in hell because it was God's will, and the final straw was when my best friend ended our friendship of 7 years because I wasn't "respecting" his beliefs.
But beside loosing a majority of my friends, and family support, I feel better being honest with myself. Its like a whole new world is out there to discover and I'm just getting started. I used to be a know it all Christian, but now everything is brand new to me.
For everyone that read through all this, you're awesome. And I hope to make some new like minded friends on here.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gr3g0ry's post
07-12-2013, 01:01 PM
RE: Finally discovered I'm an atheist, Thank God! Lol.
Welcome,

It sucks your father reacted that way. It's been said that bad people do bad things and good people do good things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. I hold that to be true for what people say. Assholes say insensitive things and kind people say nice things, but for a kind person to say an insensitive thing, it takes religion (and maybe a bad marriage) Angel. I'll give your dad the benefit of the doubt on that one. You'll be better to judge on that

Have fun in the forum
Drinking Beverage

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
[+] 1 user Likes djkamilo's post
07-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. I have recently come to terms with my non belief. It scares me to openly speak about where I am now. Finding this forum is just amazing. I now have a place to read and speak in comfort.
[+] 1 user Likes isisosborne's post
07-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Welcome! And yes, God did it. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Hello friend Nice to meet you. Sorry about all your losses but let's hope you make some new friends here. You can totally start with me!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
11-12-2013, 07:38 AM
(07-12-2013 12:47 PM)Gr3g0ry Wrote:  I feel better being honest with myself. Its like a whole new world is out there to discover and I'm just getting started. I used to be a know it all Christian, but now everything is brand new to me.

fresh air….feels good, eh?

welcome to the club!

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Isn't it great to know you're the only one inside your head? Well, unless you have multiple personalities. Smile Welcome!

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post