Finally gonna drill into that huge underice lake in Antarctica.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2012, 04:02 PM
RE: Finally gonna drill into that huge underice lake in Antarctica.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they will find only single-celled organisms. That does not mean it won't be interesting and will still potentially be useful for seeing how an isolated group of single-celled organisms differs from its counterparts.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2012, 04:05 PM
(19-01-2012 04:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they will find only single-celled organisms. That does not mean it won't be interesting and will still potentially be useful for seeing how an isolated group of single-celled organisms differs from its counterparts.

Probably. But I'm holding out for multicellular organisms. And I don't mean plant life. I mean fish like animals and crustaceans.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Far to cold. The only reason the water is there is because of the pressure of the overlying ice reducing the melting point. There would be no oxygen in it and no way of replenishing the oxygen. Plants would be unable to survive because of the lack of sunlight. This means the only things capable of surviving would be chemo-synthesizers and they will need some continuous supply of nutrients.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-01-2012, 04:12 PM
(19-01-2012 04:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Far to cold. The only reason the water is there is because of the pressure of the overlying ice reducing the melting point. There would be no oxygen in it and no way of replenishing the oxygen. Plants would be unable to survive because of the lack of sunlight. This means the only things capable of surviving would be chemo-synthesizers and they will need some continuous supply of nutrients.

It's cold and oxygen deprived at teh bottom of the ocean but tubeworms and giant lobster looking things live there.

Here's to wishful thinking.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
19-01-2012, 04:17 PM
The bottom is NOT oxygen deprived, see: Thermohaline circulation. As the temperature of water decreases, the solubility of gases like oxygen and carbon dioxide go up. So, cold-water has the potential to contain MORE oxygen in it, but the catch is that there must be some method by which to get the oxygen down there. That is where thermohaline circulation comes in for the bottom of the ocean. The surface waters flow towards the poles and the interaction with the atmosphere releases the excess CO2 and dissolves O2 into it. As it reaches the poles it cools, becomes more dense and then the oxygen-rich water sinks (taking nutrients with it). The lake is therefore isolated from any oxygen source. Any respiring organisms would consume all of the oxygen in a matter of years.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
19-01-2012, 04:24 PM
(19-01-2012 04:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The bottom is NOT oxygen deprived, see: Thermohaline circulation. As the temperature of water decreases, the solubility of gases like oxygen and carbon dioxide go up. So, cold-water has the potential to contain MORE oxygen in it, but the catch is that there must be some method by which to get the oxygen down there. That is where thermohaline circulation comes in for the bottom of the ocean. The surface waters flow towards the poles and the interaction with the atmosphere releases the excess CO2 and dissolves O2 into it. As it reaches the poles it cools, becomes more dense and then the oxygen-rich water sinks (taking nutrients with it). The lake is therefore isolated from any oxygen source. Any respiring organisms would consume all of the oxygen in a matter of years.

Hmmmmm. Well aren't you a party pooper.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
19-01-2012, 04:25 PM
(19-01-2012 04:09 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Far to cold. The only reason the water is there is because of the pressure of the overlying ice reducing the melting point. There would be no oxygen in it and no way of replenishing the oxygen. Plants would be unable to survive because of the lack of sunlight. This means the only things capable of surviving would be chemo-synthesizers and they will need some continuous supply of nutrients.

I agree -if anything, some kind of specialized bacteria could currently be alive in the water -but I'm not counting on it.

Unless ... they are going to drill where that alien craft crashed ... well then, I'm all for quitting my job and making and selling T-shirts to commemorate it. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
19-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't be awesome if they found Transformers?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
19-01-2012, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2012 04:27 PM by TheBeardedDude.)
Not trying to be a party-pooper my friend. Single-celled organisms still represent a significant find, but realistically they are the extent of what is likely.
"Transformers, more than meet the ice."

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
19-01-2012, 04:31 PM
NO. If they find Transformers, I'm leaving this planet.
Those guys are assholes. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein