Finally leaving my church!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Finally leaving my church!
So first I should give a little introduction to who I am, this is a short version, the full one is on my profile:
I was born, raised and still live in Switzerland, my parents although being christian were never religious, so I wasn't even baptized , until I had to attend christian studies (as it is obligatory for Christians in Switzerland) those convinced me of the existence of a God and his Son Christ Dodgy. I believed this for a few years until my education kicked in. Then being an atheist. Since the age of around 13 I thought about leaving my church but never did it. Now I am 17 and the time when I would have to pay taxes for church is coming closer, so I found a generator for a nicely written letter to quit my church and tomorrow afternoon I will go to the post office and send my letter to end my connection to the church. Unfortunately I will have to pay my taxes when I become 18 until the end of the year.

TL;DR I didn't leave my church although being an atheist for 4 years. But tomorrow I will.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Leomas's post
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
RE: Finally leaving my church!
Congratulations! I left my church about a year ago so I won't have to pay anything once I'm 18.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
03-07-2012, 01:01 PM
I thought about it once already a year ago, I even filled out the generator, but unfortunately my computer, where I saved it onto stopped working that day and that kinda threw me off Confused
03-07-2012, 01:02 PM
Wait... you *pay taxes to your church*???

welcome to forum btw Smile
03-07-2012, 01:10 PM
(03-07-2012 01:02 PM)morondog Wrote:  Wait... you *pay taxes to your church*???

welcome to forum btw Smile
Yes unfortunately Switzerland is not secular, which means the roman catholic and the protestant church are supported by the state, which means mainly that religion is officially mentioned in our constitution and by our politicians, we have to attend religious lessons of our particular church (yes, none of the others) and pay taxes for it.

And thanks.
[+] 1 user Likes Leomas's post
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Like Kirchsteuer in Germany? If you don't pay it to the church, do you have to pay it to some other charitable cause instead?

Anyway, congratulations on choosing reality!

Eternal happiness is rhubarb tart. - John Cleese
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 01:25 PM by Leomas.)
(03-07-2012 01:14 PM)Ratbag Wrote:  Like Kirchsteuer in Germany? If you don't pay it to the church, do you have to pay it to some other charitable cause instead?

Anyway, congratulations on choosing reality!
No, fortunately we don't have to pay anything instead, although I would not mind having to do that if church didn't count as one^^

And yes, reality is kind of nice XD
03-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Congratulations, and here's to completely free Sundays!

Join the Logic Speaks Community

I am the unconverted
04-07-2012, 06:13 PM
(03-07-2012 01:01 PM)Leomas Wrote:  I thought about it once already a year ago, I even filled out the generator, but unfortunately my computer, where I saved it onto stopped working that day and that kinda threw me off Confused
God works in mysterious ways. Angel

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
05-07-2012, 02:59 AM
(03-07-2012 01:01 PM)Leomas Wrote:  I thought about it once already a year ago, I even filled out the generator, but unfortunately my computer, where I saved it onto stopped working that day and that kinda threw me off Confused

And you stopped believing in God after this? WTH man?!?

Big Grin Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post