Finally leaving my church!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: Finally leaving my church!
Typical.

1. He insinuates you give up the ability to be charitable when you leave the church and questions your character. The church does not own morality.

2. He seems to suggest you are intolerant towards the church, yet he is very intolerant towards your new position.

3. There is lots of guilt in that letter. A good pastor would tell you the door is always open and would remain open to discussion with you. His emotional reaction is childish and not what I'd expect of an adult mentor.

4. He insults you for copying the letter off of an internet site and not speaking for yourself. Ironic, as the church has been parroting the text of a 2000 year old collection of manuscripts for all of its existence.

Look up Christopher Hitchens on YouTube and find his videos discussing morality and the church. If you feel like you're a bad person for leaving the church, he'll offer a different angle to consider.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Does your pastor have an email address? Big Grin

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
06-07-2012, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 10:06 AM by Leomas.)
(06-07-2012 09:41 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Typical.

1. He insinuates you give up the ability to be charitable when you leave the church and questions your character. The church does not own morality.

2. He seems to suggest you are intolerant towards the church, yet he is very intolerant towards your new position.

3. There is lots of guilt in that letter. A good pastor would tell you the door is always open and would remain open to discussion with you. His emotional reaction is childish and not what I'd expect of an adult mentor.

4. He insults you for copying the letter off of an internet site and not speaking for yourself. Ironic, as the church has been parroting the text of a 2000 year old collection of manuscripts for all of its existence.

Look up Christopher Hitchens on YouTube and find his videos discussing morality and the church. If you feel like you're a bad person for leaving the church, he'll offer a different angle to consider.
Now, I would never feel guilty and your points exactly are why, I'm not stupid enough to fall into those traps. I even pointed a lot out in my response and naturally I know Hitchens, but I will watch a few vids again, you can never get enough Hitchslap XD.
I am looking forward to my discussion with my priest XD
06-07-2012, 09:54 AM
(06-07-2012 09:42 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Does your pastor have an email address? Big Grin

He probably does somewhere, but I don't know it unfortunately
06-07-2012, 09:58 AM
(05-07-2012 06:57 AM)Egor Wrote:  What a strange system: paying taxes to support the Church. Oh well, to each (country) his own.

Here in the U.S., they have to con the money out of you.

Considering you sell Christian books based on your interpretation of the bible that's just a wee bit hypocritical of you.
06-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Quote:Dialogue and discourse are achievements of our Judeo-Christian way of thinking and conceiving the world, as only like this we can discover, how exciting encounters with other people, not over Facebook, but in person can be. Where it isn't about forcing your opinions on others, but to be enriched by them.

Oh, really? That part got me laughing, seriously. Laughat

None of this letter seems even the least bit sincere or even personal in any way... has this guy even met you? It sounds as if "The Church" has taken to their usual "formal stance" on the matter of people leaving. They probably have the standard letter they send to people aged 18 to 21. I'm willing to bet they have an altered version for those who are aged 21 to 34, and so on.

This would indicate that the church is extremely agitated that not only are people leaving, but they seem very agitated about why people are leaving. With this letter, they practically admit that educated people just aren't willing to buy into their God illusion.

It appears they are willing to chew off their own hand in the hope that it will keep a firm, guilty grip on you.
Well, boo fucking hoo. Sadcryface2 Laughat

Crazy knows no bounds!! Blink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-07-2012, 10:29 AM
(06-07-2012 10:15 AM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:Dialogue and discourse are achievements of our Judeo-Christian way of thinking and conceiving the world, as only like this we can discover, how exciting encounters with other people, not over Facebook, but in person can be. Where it isn't about forcing your opinions on others, but to be enriched by them.

Oh, really? That part got me laughing, seriously. Laughat

None of this letter seems even the least bit sincere or even personal in any way... has this guy even met you? It sounds as if "The Church" has taken to their usual "formal stance" on the matter of people leaving. They probably have the standard letter they send to people aged 18 to 21. I'm willing to bet they have an altered version for those who are aged 21 to 34, and so on.

This would indicate that the church is extremely agitated that not only are people leaving, but they seem very agitated about why people are leaving. With this letter, they practically admit that educated people just aren't willing to buy into their God illusion.

It appears they are willing to chew off their own hand in the hope that it will keep a firm, guilty grip on you.
Well, boo fucking hoo. Sadcryface2 Laughat

Crazy knows no bounds!! Blink
I have met him once, but didn't really talk to him (I was very religious a few years back but back then there was a different priest. He mainly played table tennis with us and seemed a decent guy. I actually hoped he was a bit understanding, as he's pretty young but obviously not. It may well be an automated answer, but if it is he altered it a bit, as he put in a few not general things, like the letter, which you could alter a bit and on those bits he said a few things and I don't think he calls everybody educated and an academic, as those are things he heard my parents say (they like to brag about my "intellect" which I would call very average XD
[+] 1 user Likes Leomas's post
06-07-2012, 10:12 PM
You just mentioned your parents talk to him. Did your parents know about your atheism and is it possible that they told him

P.S. were you catholic?

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
06-07-2012, 11:31 PM
(06-07-2012 10:12 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  You just mentioned your parents talk to him. Did your parents know about your atheism and is it possible that they told him

P.S. were you catholic?
My parents TALKED to him, remember the one time I met him and he played table tennis, then they talked with him XD
and yes they know I am an atheist since I think 2 Years (1 year after I became one) and yes, I was catholic
09-07-2012, 04:15 AM
After this letter, I would have gone down to his church, slapped him across the face and demand he excommunicates (or what ever the name is) me from the church at once, in front of me.

The hypocritical bastard, wants you to feel guilty, and cares nothing about the fact that you lost your faith. Not once did he tried to talk to you, but he only attacked you, called you names... This is horrible. If you write back to him, tell him to suck your big, black, salty balls and to never write to you again!

Big Grin

Crazy bastard...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson