Finally over my fear of hell

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2016, 07:35 AM
Finally over my fear of hell
I finally no longer am worried about going to hell when I die. It took realizing that Jesus literally only ever spoke of Gehenna and that Revelations is nothing to stress over that I finally felt the biggest wave of relief ever.

Jesus was talking about a freaking dump, and only ever that (I don't think he even mentioned Hades if I recall correctly. Just Gehenna. It was only the even-more-bunk-than-the-gospels Revelations that said Hades, and that's just - welp, the underworld...)

So even if I am wrong about this whole Gawd thing (pretty sure I'm not), there will be nothing but nothing waiting for me either way.

Even my dad (who is still Christian) has died 3 times before and claims there was nothin' at all any of those times. Perhaps this doesn't disprove the "slumber and then judgment" theory, but as far as I know that's another Revelation idea and that book has as much integrity to me now as the shake weight commercials. (besides, didn't Jebus saying "today you'll join me in Paradise" to that other crucified dude suggest an immediate afterlife?)

So, tl;dr: I'm finally over the biggest hurdle. I've chucked hell outta my mind and I am so damn relieved... Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Diddlyboop's post
09-12-2016, 07:37 AM
RE: Finally over my fear of hell
Very good. Hail Satan; may he see you through a favorable future, Diddlyboop.
09-12-2016, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear it. Now, let's break you of the notion that Jesus existed. Wink

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
09-12-2016, 08:11 AM
Great! See it all happens with time that you can finally let go of those old nutty beliefs Wink
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-12-2016, 08:13 AM
(09-12-2016 08:04 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Glad to hear it. Now, let's break you of the notion that Jesus existed. Wink

Aww. D': I'm inclined to think there was a historical Jebus. Obviously nothing like what the gospels describe, just a little preacher dude that got blown way outta proportion. I do understand the position that he's totally mythical, though. Yes

But that's all whatever to me. So long as there's no hell or celestial dictator reading out my every thought and action to everyone, I'm good.
[+] 3 users Like Diddlyboop's post
09-12-2016, 08:17 AM
Thumbsup It's a great feeling, isn't it? Just know that the concept is going to come creeping back in, every once in awhile.
09-12-2016, 08:18 AM
(09-12-2016 08:11 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Great! See it all happens with time that you can finally let go of those old nutty beliefs Wink

Yes, it feels fantastic! Hell not actually being a biblical thing (and my dad's experiences with death, I really hope I don't sound horrible by saying that) has taken that giant worrying weight off my shoulders!

In fact, ironically it's been reading about near death experiences (and everyone who has died and come back with nothing) that's provided me the most comfort. I really want this to be it, personally. It's fine by me that it is.
[+] 1 user Likes Diddlyboop's post
09-12-2016, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2016 08:27 AM by jennybee.)
(09-12-2016 08:17 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Thumbsup It's a great feeling, isn't it? Just know that the concept is going to come creeping back in, every once in awhile.

It hasn't for me. And I used to be petrified of it thanks to my religious upbringing. I think what helped me was to see the absurdity of it: A horned red monster living in the underworld. Really? I believed in this shit? Hobo Tongue Laugh out load

Also the concept of hell came from Zoroastrianism. It came from another religion--it's not even a unique Christian concept. They took the idea from other people who were more successful at conquering shit than they were. So the Zoroastrian beliefs must be legit, so guess we'll use them for ourselves type of deal Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
09-12-2016, 08:24 AM
(09-12-2016 08:17 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Thumbsup It's a great feeling, isn't it? Just know that the concept is going to come creeping back in, every once in awhile.

I knooow, I know - from now on I'm just gonna remind myself.

"Jebus was talking about a FREAKIN' DUMP, and never mentioned any sort of underworld at all.

And Revelations is bullshit. Every word. If you get worked up about the judgement nonsense just read all the OTHER nonsense and then remember that it's ALL nonsense.

Plus there were other writings just like it, and all just as stupidly impossible, so..."
09-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Revelations was some idiot in a cave spun up on mushrooms talking about politics around 400. Done and dusted.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post