Finally reading the Bible cover to cover

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2015, 01:21 AM
RE: Finally reading the Bible cover to cover
It is interesting that many Christian groups organise "Bible Study" groups: I've long suspected that this is a preemptive tactic to avoid having people read it themselves and drawing their own conclusions.

I read the Bible when I was 16. I still think of that event as the beginning of the end of religious belief for me.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like gofish!'s post
27-01-2015, 05:12 AM
How much of a comic book do you have to read before you realize it is a comic book?

Men magically popping out of dirt, women magically coming from a man's rib. Talking snakes, talking donkeys, magic babies and zombie gods. But lets not forget all the genocide, infanticide and incest. Nothing mind rapey about that.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2015, 05:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 08:11 AM by DLJ.)
Save time... read only the covers.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-01-2015, 07:23 AM
(26-01-2015 04:32 PM)Dahlia Wrote:  I'm about halfway through Exodus, so I've barely made a dent. But I am already astounded by how little I knew. For example, if I had actually read the story of Moses closely when I was a believer, I might have noticed that God doesn't actually send the plagues in a desperate attempt to rescue his beloved Israelites from the ever-stubborn Pharaoh. Actually, he manipulates Pharaoh like a puppet master in order to demonstrate how big and powerful he is. At the expense of innocent men, women, children, and animals.

Yeah, there's a big difference between reading what the Bible says and what the apologists say.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
27-01-2015, 07:30 AM
Spoiler Alert ----

They kill off one of the main characters - but, like a bad episode of Dallas - he comes back from the dead....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
27-01-2015, 08:03 AM
The first and last time I read the bible I read it front to back, and I was 10.

Very bad fairy tales.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-01-2015, 08:33 AM
Bart Ehrman points out that in his classroom, nearly everyone has read "The Da Vinci Code" but almost no one has ever read the bible. I have heard it called "the greatest story never read". No idea who thought of that but it is a gem.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-01-2015, 08:43 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2015 08:47 AM by Whimsymum.)
I read portions of the bible when I was a teenager but not the whole thing. Once I got to the begats my eyes glazed over. I did read portions of Revelations since it was suppose to be some prophecy. Read like mumbo jumbo to me Big Grin
27-01-2015, 09:13 AM
I enjoyed the stories of Samson and David in it, though Samson is really an anti-hero as well as a rip-off of Hercules. David is an adulterous dickhead, but it makes for some amusing palace intrigue, most of this stuff is just pure nonsense, though David probably existed.

You can't tell the lies from the truth in the bible, and the authors wanted it that way.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
27-01-2015, 09:48 AM
(27-01-2015 07:30 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Spoiler Alert ----

They kill off one of the main characters - but, like a bad episode of Dallas - he comes back from the dead....

But then the actor of said main character realizes the book jumped the shark, so he leaves for good. The book then devolves into various spin-offs of the supporting characters, who tell their side of things, make differing claims about the imminent return of the main character, and attempt to sell merchandise.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post