Finally reading the Bible cover to cover

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2015, 12:14 PM
RE: Finally reading the Bible cover to cover
(28-01-2015 11:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Having just seen Exodus: Gods and Kings last night at the dollar theatre, I need to tell you, it is evident Pharoah had a bad attitude and didn't need to be "adjusted" by God.

Watching The Life of Brian did numbers for clearing up the New Testament for me. I like your style!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-01-2015, 05:54 PM
(28-01-2015 11:25 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I never wondered why people always looked up to Jacob. He was such a scumbag.

He's pretty terrible. One of many characters grossly misrepresented by Sunday school teachers everywhere.
28-01-2015, 08:39 PM
I started Monday and have now read 30 pages. The one I'm reading has 1008 pages so it will take me 101 days to read it all. About 10 pages per day is all I can take.

Sapere aude
28-01-2015, 09:08 PM
(26-01-2015 10:58 PM)Bear100 Wrote:  I gave up trying to reading from cover to cover when I hit the begats in Genesis 5.

True story: When in Catholic class, saying "There's a whole lotta begatting going on!" is frowned upon.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
29-01-2015, 09:50 AM
(28-01-2015 11:49 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Having just seen Exodus: Gods and Kings last night at the dollar theatre, I need to tell you, it is evident Pharoah had a bad attitude and didn't need to be "adjusted" by God.

By your "logic" the bible is wrong because Emma Watson's character in Noah (Ila) was a real person and she does not appear in the story. There is no person in the bible of that name so god must be speaking through Hollywood.

Seriously, have you actually EVER convinced anyone with your arguments?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
29-01-2015, 01:28 PM
No, but I've had a LOT of fun with them--and if you think I'm saying the Christian Bale depiction of Moses based in part on Islam's description of the events as promoted by Ridley Scott "proves" the Bible...

I mean, really.

However, an isn't it ironic, my point stands. When you watch the movie you can see how awful the plagues were and how clearly Pharaoh drives his country further to the brink via his pride. Pride, of course, is what Christians believe is the #1 sin that seems to prevent people from trusting Jesus for salvation.

And--please don't be offended but I call them like I see 'em (usually)--how very atheist it is (and they poke fun at Pharaoh's "atheism" and later "I'm God!" in the film) to see God do a huge bunch of scary stuff, then CHOOSE to get ticked off, then say "I have no free will, God made me ticked off."

I mean, really.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-01-2015, 05:33 PM

(29-01-2015 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No, but I've had a LOT of fun with them--and if you think I'm saying the Christian Bale depiction of Moses based in part on Islam's description of the events as promoted by Ridley Scott "proves" the Bible...

I mean, really.

However, an isn't it ironic, my point stands. When you watch the movie you can see how awful the plagues were and how clearly Pharaoh drives his country further to the brink via his pride. Pride, of course, is what Christians believe is the #1 sin that seems to prevent people from trusting Jesus for salvation.

And--please don't be offended but I call them like I see 'em (usually)--how very atheist it is (and they poke fun at Pharaoh's "atheism" and later "I'm God!" in the film) to see God do a huge bunch of scary stuff, then CHOOSE to get ticked off, then say "I have no free will, God made me ticked off."

I mean, really.

Okay, so you used a Ridley Scott film to back up a particular interpretation of a story (so, an interpretation of an interpretation of a story), denied sarcastically that you did so when The Organic Chemist called you out on it, and then you did it again in the next paragraph. Do you see the issue with logic? Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Bible was indeed inspired by God and is the pinnacle of truth. It is nonsensical to say that a screenwriter and/or director’s interpretation of a biblical story proves the objective truth of that interpretation. You may not have said it in those words, but that is the implication of your statement.

And God doesn't tick us off. We can't be ticked off by someone we believe to be purely mythological. That would be like reading Homer's Iliad and getting upset at something Zeus does. Even if you get sucked into the story and find yourself taking sides with certain characters, you don't get truly upset, because you don't think they're real.

What does tick many atheists off is when people continue to believe that archaic mythological stories are true and then try to influence society accordingly.
[+] 3 users Like Dahlia's post
29-01-2015, 08:03 PM
(29-01-2015 01:28 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No, but I've had a LOT of fun with them--and if you think I'm saying the Christian Bale depiction of Moses based in part on Islam's description of the events as promoted by Ridley Scott "proves" the Bible...

I mean, really.

I mean, really.

Still waiting to see some of that learning you said you are here for Q. Lots of pleading but no learning, not a bit, nope, nada. Hollywood is your new weapon of choice for proving your craziness - man your desperation is showing bad.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
29-01-2015, 10:01 PM

I mean, really.

You do realize that these statements are the same as "I'm not saying it was aliens, but it was ALIENS!!" The two statements kind of contradict each other. Oh and from where I stand, pride is the #1 problem WITH christians.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
30-01-2015, 02:03 PM
(29-01-2015 05:33 PM)Dahlia Wrote:  

I mean, really.

I mean, really.

Okay, so you used a Ridley Scott film to back up a particular interpretation of a story (so, an interpretation of an interpretation of a story), denied sarcastically that you did so when The Organic Chemist called you out on it, and then you did it again in the next paragraph. Do you see the issue with logic? Let's just say for the sake of argument that the Bible was indeed inspired by God and is the pinnacle of truth. It is nonsensical to say that a screenwriter and/or director’s interpretation of a biblical story proves the objective truth of that interpretation. You may not have said it in those words, but that is the implication of your statement.

And God doesn't tick us off. We can't be ticked off by someone we believe to be purely mythological. That would be like reading Homer's Iliad and getting upset at something Zeus does. Even if you get sucked into the story and find yourself taking sides with certain characters, you don't get truly upset, because you don't think they're real.

What does tick many atheists off is when people continue to believe that archaic mythological stories are true and then try to influence society accordingly.

Restating: I was being facetious when I suggested that a movie could prove the facts of the Exodus to anyone. I wasn't being facetious but ironic, as I stated in my second post, that most anyone watching the film should conclude what the film portrays--that Pharaoh fights God, loses, and then in pride, fights God more. The idea that God made Pharaoh do things against Pharaoh's free will. And again in the film (did you see it?) and in the Bible Moses is grieved that the plagues have to happen because Pharaoh is so hard-hearted.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user