Finding Atheist Fellowship

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Finding Atheist Fellowship
Does anyone ever have a hard time finding other atheist to hang out with? As someone living in Mormon-Land, I know zero people that are not either devout Mormons or devout Christians in our area. Everything social here is centered around church and since I don't attend church I have pretty zero chance of participating in social activities.

Since moving here from out of state I have tried joining several clubs and groups but at the end of the day they are still devout believers and all activities still are done in the shadow of religion. What I wouldn't give to know a few people and be able to go have a cup of joe and spend a few hours having an intelligent conversation! AngryWeeping

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips on finding social opportunities with other like minded folks?

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 02:42 PM
RE: Finding Atheist Fellowship
(14-02-2014 02:40 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Does anyone ever have a hard time finding other atheist to hang out with? As someone living in Mormon-Land, I know zero people that are not either devout Mormons or devout Christians in our area. Everything social here is centered around church and since I don't attend church I have pretty zero chance of participating in social activities.

Since moving here from out of state I have tried joining several clubs and groups but at the end of the day they are still devout believers and all activities still are done in the shadow of religion. What I wouldn't give to know a few people and be able to go have a cup of joe and spend a few hours having an intelligent conversation! AngryWeeping

Anyone else have this problem? Any tips on finding social opportunities with other like minded folks?

Try meetup. Com.
I met a gal over at AF who told me about a local atheist group, now I talk to them in a private group on Facebook.

What state/city are you in?

Be excellent to each other and party on, Dudes!
14-02-2014, 03:27 PM
I find that going to bars is the least likely place to find "real" holy rollers (at least around here)..... tho, the "intelligent" conversation may be a wee bit lacking at such places, yet better than religious nonsense talk. Wink

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
14-02-2014, 09:36 PM
No offence to people (well maybe at little offence)
Some publicly vocal Atheists can be insufferable know it alls.
Correcting peoples grammar while drinking beer is liable to get you removed from the gene pool.

That said it would be nice to ponder certain evolution mysteries without people around me with "God did it" T-shirts

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
14-02-2014, 09:49 PM
(14-02-2014 02:40 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Anyone else have this problem? Any tips on finding social opportunities with other like minded folks?

We could write an atheist hookup app. Be pretty simple. The gays already developed the technology. ... Crazy fucking fags.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
16-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Quote:Does anyone ever have a hard time finding other atheist to hang out with? As someone living in Mormon-Land, I know zero people that are not either devout Mormons or devout Christians in our area. Everything social here is centered around church and since I don't attend church I have pretty zero chance of participating in social activities.

They sure are an active bunch, Mormons are migrating across the border into our non-religious enclaves, the Evangelicals are doing the same. I suppose I am fairly lucky, about 25% of the population in my country is non religious.

I suggest starting a group, or joining one already in existence (FFRF is a good one).[/code]

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”

-Epicurus
18-02-2014, 10:46 AM
I am in Idaho/Utah area. There is currently not an atheist group here but surely there are atheist here somewhere. How would you all suggest looking for them? Craigslist perhaps?

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
18-02-2014, 02:28 PM
(18-02-2014 10:46 AM)Pearl Wrote:  How would you all suggest looking for them? Craigslist perhaps?

Some of our members are in Utah AFAIK ? Maybe they can help.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-02-2014, 02:53 PM
You just need to do a better job of finding secular interest groups. I now play with the local community band instead of with a church choir. Get to enjoy playing music without the god stuff even tho there are religious people in the group.
18-02-2014, 08:54 PM
(14-02-2014 09:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 02:40 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Anyone else have this problem? Any tips on finding social opportunities with other like minded folks?

We could write an atheist hookup app. Be pretty simple. The gays already developed the technology. ... Crazy fucking fags.

This idea I like. Just as long as I'm not charged out the ass to use it Tongue

But yeah, look for local clubs. See if there's one at your school/campus. If you're at a college that should be more likely...well...unless you're at BYU. I'd be damned if BYU had a Secular Alliance. Maybe go through on Craigslist and try to make a casual meetup thing at a coffee shop or somewhere public. That way you can find new peeps but not be like out there if you don't want to be all like "HELLO WORLD I DON'T BELEIVE IN YOUR HEAVENLY BULLSHIT!"

[Image: notagain.gif]