Finding candidates who have supported/will support science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2012, 09:49 AM
Finding candidates who have supported/will support science
Does anyone know of any organisations or websites that are gathering information on candidates who will be likely to support science/logic/secularism? I'm pretty apolitical because I feel like my vote doesn't really count for much, but this year I've learned a lot about Life, the Universe, and Everything and if my drop in the bucket can help further the causes of science over the religious goofballery going on in some political arenas I'll be more than pleased to do what I can.

That said, I fill up on frustration regarding politics very quickly and find myself tossing up my hands and giving up before I've gotten the information I'm after. The newspaper I read usually publishes a ballot the day before the election so you know who's available to vote for, but that's a bit late unless you want to spend all morning digging up info on whoever's running in your districts. My state recently reorganised its districts, too, so I'm not 100% sure what district I'm even in any more.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes calmblueocean's post
12-10-2012, 10:28 PM
RE: Finding candidates who have supported/will support science
Jews for Jesus
14-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Star RE: Finding candidates who have supported/will support science
So, you're looking for a:

1. Where your district is.
2. Who's running in your district.
3. What are the platforms of the people running.

And also looking for b:

An organization that's attempting to foster scientific thinking and action on a national level. So you can support such an organization (financially, manpower, advertising, etc)

Note, I greatly approve of the idea of supporting any improvements towards the quality of national leadership, and agenda setting.
16-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Re: Finding candidates who have supported/will support science
I know I saw the atheist experience talk about having worked with people making a database.

That might of been just in Texas but I can't find any currently.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-10-2012, 12:28 PM
(12-10-2012 09:49 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  Does anyone know of any organisations or websites that are gathering information on candidates who will be likely to support science/logic/secularism?

I am pursuing the organizing of that which you are looking for?

Would you like to know more?

Do you think you might be willing to participate in campaign activities if you are thouroughly convinced that my pursuits fulfill your expectations?

Are you willing to accept that your thinking may not be perfect, and that there may be some 'logical' contradictions that you will have to adjust in order to champion the ideal that you are searching for?

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
17-10-2012, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 05:35 PM by TrainWreck.)
(12-10-2012 09:49 AM)calmblueocean Wrote:  The newspaper I read usually publishes a ballot the day before the election so you know who's available to vote for, but that's a bit late unless you want to spend all morning digging up info on whoever's running in your districts. My state recently reorganised its districts, too, so I'm not 100% sure what district I'm even in any more.

You are one of the very few who recognize this problem.

Just think how difficult it is for people less intelligent than you.

And guess what - those who are equal, or presumably more intelligent, such as, the editors of newspapers and various other news outlets, have not noticed what you noticed; or they do not know how to fix it, and so they ignore it on their assumption that it is not important.

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
31-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I found a Google service that provides a list of relevant races when you tell it where your polling place is. Google Elections' Voter Info (https://www.google.com/elections/ed/us/vote ) asks for your polling place (it wants the full address, but if you give it incomplete info it directs you to your state polling place information site so you can get it easily) and then gives you at least the higher level candidates for you. I got the presidential candidates plus senator, treasurer, auditor general, and attorney general for my state. It doesn't appear to give local races or by county, but it's still useful.

Also cool is http://www.smartvoter.org/ which is provided by the League of Women Voters.

Hope this helps out some folks who want to check out their candidates in detail before they hit the polls.

Aside: I think the url tag button hates me today. Tongue

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
I admire your wish for Science to be a serious talking point...but i tell you this...Science is rapidly becoming a 4 letter word.
The Theocrats are working hard to make Science = Evolution..as an equally interchangeable word. When they get that done then science is done for. Texas and their text books are rewriting Slave History and once that gets a few years old...then science will be next.
Evolution has successfully be turned into The Devil's Plaything. In the USA its a word thats sure to get a knee jerk reaction and a gasp, which is sad. Science is not too far behind. Especially with Faux Noise making things like Clean Air, Clean water, EPA and regulations terrible terrible naughty words....science simply does not stand a chance.
Climate was ignored in this election cycle....as a FRANKENSTORM nuked not one but many states.
I see no hope for science, sadly, and i am a pretty optimistic fellow.

D
08-11-2012, 04:21 PM
(02-11-2012 03:54 PM)Denicio Wrote:  I admire your wish for Science to be a serious talking point...but i tell you this...Science is rapidly becoming a 4 letter word.
The Theocrats are working hard to make Science = Evolution........
I see no hope for science, sadly, and i am a pretty optimistic fellow.
Too bad, you're an idiot, who knows how to type so as to fulfill his optimistic fantasies.

You should get one of those cool "Idiot Free Planet" T-shirts.