Finding it hard to get over past spiritual beliefs...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2015, 02:55 AM
RE: Finding it hard to get over past spiritual beliefs...
(08-04-2015 02:38 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(08-04-2015 02:22 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Considering how everything relevant seems to be stored in our brain, including memories and our personality, even if there's some sort of abstract afterlife of an immortal soul, it's not going to be you in any meaningful sense.

That's how I see it. The brain is like a journal of memory and algorithms for telling the body how to interact with the physical world. A spirit or soul has nowhere to store memories, and no way to interact with the world. Presumably, since they can't be seen, nor is there any reason to believe they interact with light in any way, there is probably no sense of sight. Even if some kind of energy/soul/spirit was at some point a part of someone you knew, it would likely not resemble them in any recognisable way... Nor would it remember you.

Hmm...both of your posts are very interesting. That does seem to make the most sense since if our brains are messed up, we can lose our memories and our personalities can change. Looks like this is our only chance to be US. I guess I can live with that lol.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philanthropic Misanthrope's post
19-04-2015, 08:06 PM
RE: Finding it hard to get over past spiritual beliefs...
It's funny...I flirted with agnosticism for most of my growing up years and when I accepted I was an atheist I felt somewhat uncomfortable with it. I didn't like the idea that my life would just come to a full stop, if that makes sense...that I would no longer exist in any way, shape or form...but it was quite easy to come to terms with it. However, when I learned there was no Santa Claus it was completely different. I was totally devastated!! I bought into that story so much that I had actually believed that one Christmas Eve I had heard the jingle of bells outside my bedroom window, looked out and saw Santa and his sleigh gliding by in the sky. The news that it was all a fantasy left me feeling horribly sad and how I imagine a child would feel if she were suddenly deserted by her parents.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply