Finding our own meaning in life is delusional

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Finding our own meaning in life is delusional
If materialism, naturalism, and scientism are true, then you would be delusional to find meaning in your life (as stated by materialism, naturalism, and scientism which state that life is just a bunch of meaningless atoms and particles). There are things in science that do have objective meaning. For example, the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun is a scientific fact and you would, therefore, be delusional to think otherwise. Same thing with creating our own meanings in life since life really has no meaning in terms of science. You would, therefore, be delusional in finding your own personal meanings in life since life has no meaning. If you are going to say something here such as that this is a logical fallacy I am presenting here, then what I would have to say in return is that your own personal viewpoints in that people would not be delusional in creating their own meanings in life, this would also be a logical fallacy since finding your own personal meanings in life when life has no meaning is a contradiction. I don't even care if it's in our evolutionary design to find meaning in life in order to survive and benefit our survival. You would still be delusional in finding your own meanings in life anyway.

Now you might also be thinking that, since it is in our evolutionary design to find meaning in life in order to survive and benefit our survival, that to even perceive this as delusional would contradict our evolutionary design and would be a delusional viewpoint in of itself in terms of evolution as a result. But this would be false because the only way for it to contradict our evolutionary design is if we were to tell ourselves the message that "We are not designed by evolution to find meaning in our lives." That would be the only message that would contradict our evolutionary design. Telling ourselves that "We are delusional in finding meaning in our lives" does not contradict our evolutionary design.

To say that something IS when, in reality, it is not, would be delusional regardless of what you think otherwise. So any personal meanings you create in life are your brain's way of telling you that these meanings ARE. Even if you tell yourself something such as that these meanings you create are not objective (definite) meanings, the fact is, for you to view these personal meanings as true for yourself and this life is your mind's way of telling you that these meanings are definite meanings which would be false since they are not. It would be saying that since even you as a person are a bunch of meaningless atoms and particles, that any personal meanings you create hold true for you which would be false because you would be saying that you and this life both have meaning while at the same time they both don't have meaning which is contradictory.

Now if you are going to ask me something such as for me to define "meaning," what I would have to say to that would be that there is no meaning. It is just a bunch of atoms and particles and that is it. But this would only hold true for things besides scientific facts such as the Earth revolving around the sun and also the scientific fact that this life has no meaning.

Finally, even Stephen Hawking himself has stated that philosophy is dead and that science is all there is. The viewpoints that others have regarding that you can find your own personal meanings in life and that this would not be delusional, these are philosophical viewpoints which would actually be "dead" (false):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/go...-dead.html
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2014, 09:37 AM
RE: Finding our own meaning in life is delusional
You aren't banned yet?

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 5 users Like grizzlysnake's post
11-11-2014, 09:44 AM
Just go play Majora's Mask.. it's a better realm of your time in questioning the purposefulness to even trying to help a bunch of people who are destined to be all crushed and killed in 3 days... and you have to ask yourself, are you even still alive in this world? It seems like every corner is hinting at you that you're dead.

Again, so what? Yes there's no inherent meaning in life. It's a delusion to say, so what that doesn't limit me to not create my own internally determined values? That doesn't logically pile up. You can say it's useless, but it's not a description of a delusion.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
11-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Oh, look.

This guy again.

... this is my signature!
11-11-2014, 09:49 AM
Sooooo..... You typing up another post is completely meaningless.

tl;dr
I realize that you've seen that a LOT - from myself included - I'm concerned you don't know what it means, so I'll help you out. TOO LONG DIDN'T READ.

No one cares. Your welcome.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
11-11-2014, 10:01 AM
(11-11-2014 09:36 AM)ZeldaAdmirer Wrote:  If materialism, naturalism, and scientism are true, then you would be delusional to find meaning in your life (as stated by materialism, naturalism, and scientism which state that life is just a bunch of meaningless atoms and particles). There are things in science that do have objective meaning. For example, the fact that the Earth revolves around the sun is a scientific fact and you would, therefore, be delusional to think otherwise. Same thing with creating our own meanings in life since life really has no meaning in terms of science. You would, therefore, be delusional in finding your own personal meanings in life since life has no meaning. If you are going to say something here such as that this is a logical fallacy I am presenting here, then what I would have to say in return is that your own personal viewpoints in that people would not be delusional in creating their own meanings in life, this would also be a logical fallacy since finding your own personal meanings in life when life has no meaning is a contradiction. I don't even care if it's in our evolutionary design to find meaning in life in order to survive and benefit our survival. You would still be delusional in finding your own meanings in life anyway.

Now you might also be thinking that, since it is in our evolutionary design to find meaning in life in order to survive and benefit our survival, that to even perceive this as delusional would contradict our evolutionary design and would be a delusional viewpoint in of itself in terms of evolution as a result. But this would be false because the only way for it to contradict our evolutionary design is if we were to tell ourselves the message that "We are not designed by evolution to find meaning in our lives." That would be the only message that would contradict our evolutionary design. Telling ourselves that "We are delusional in finding meaning in our lives" does not contradict our evolutionary design.

To say that something IS when, in reality, it is not, would be delusional regardless of what you think otherwise. So any personal meanings you create in life are your brain's way of telling you that these meanings ARE. Even if you tell yourself something such as that these meanings you create are not objective (definite) meanings, the fact is, for you to view these personal meanings as true for yourself and this life is your mind's way of telling you that these meanings are definite meanings which would be false since they are not. It would be saying that since even you as a person are a bunch of meaningless atoms and particles, that any personal meanings you create hold true for you which would be false because you would be saying that you and this life both have meaning while at the same time they both don't have meaning which is contradictory.

Now if you are going to ask me something such as for me to define "meaning," what I would have to say to that would be that there is no meaning. It is just a bunch of atoms and particles and that is it. But this would only hold true for things besides scientific facts such as the Earth revolving around the sun and also the scientific fact that this life has no meaning.

Finally, even Stephen Hawking himself has stated that philosophy is dead and that science is all there is. The viewpoints that others have regarding that you can find your own personal meanings in life and that this would not be delusional, these are philosophical viewpoints which would actually be "dead" (false):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/go...-dead.html

You can't help yourself can ya ? Guess what ? Even religionists each find their own meaning in life. Each one has their own little pet parts of their cults they find the most meaningful.

I asked my dog and my little brother what they thought of your bullshit.
My dog said you were retarded, my brother asked if you were an inmate of "like a half-way house, or something". Get help.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
11-11-2014, 10:26 AM
My meaning of life is to find people like you and set their houses on fire!

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
11-11-2014, 10:26 AM
[Image: 2qk0c1t.png]

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
11-11-2014, 10:34 AM
Goddam nutcases coming in here and shitting on the rug.

Gives me an incredible urge to walk into a church, whip down my pants, and pinch a loaf on the altar during Sunday mass. Then shout, "how do you like it fuckers?" and run out laughing like a madman.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
11-11-2014, 10:39 AM
(11-11-2014 10:34 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Goddam nutcases coming in here and shitting on the rug.

Gives me an incredible urge to walk into a church, whip down my pants, and pinch a loaf on the altar during Sunday mass. Then shout, "how do you like it fuckers?" and run out laughing like a madman.

The thing I find amusing is if you join a christian debate site, and start civilly asserting information, for which to have an intellectual debate on, they ban you for proselyting before you hit post 3. I have never been banned from anything, but I have heard of a lot of this going on. Now if Atheists were to enter those forums, and spam post "you are all delusional idiots", then a swift ban is completely called for. But they have no problem entering our forum and spam posting...very um...."un-Christ-like" lol. Rolleyes

I for one, do appreciate the swift usage of the hammer on those that are clearly not here wishing to have a serious discussion, an exchange of perspectives, an erudite discussion of the subject. I like the new efforts..

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)