Fine Police Who Stop People From Filiming Them?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2016, 05:08 PM
RE: Fine Police Who Stop People From Filiming Them?
(17-01-2016 02:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  If they have nothing to hide, being filmed shouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't interfering with their job. This reminds me of the cop who asks "Why do you object to being searched if you have nothing to hide?". Apparently they don't like that shoe on the other foot.

I was driving a friend's car whose tag was expired. Got stopped and the cop asked if he could search the car. I said OK. I had nothing to hide! They found 2 pill bottles on the floor both expired dates with nothing in them. They checked them out and assured me that even if they were empty they could have arrested me if they had been a certain class of drugs. "Next time be careful permitting your car to be searched." The one cop said!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
17-01-2016, 05:14 PM
(17-01-2016 05:08 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 02:05 PM)pablo Wrote:  If they have nothing to hide, being filmed shouldn't be a problem as long as it isn't interfering with their job. This reminds me of the cop who asks "Why do you object to being searched if you have nothing to hide?". Apparently they don't like that shoe on the other foot.

I was driving a friend's car whose tag was expired. Got stopped and the cop asked if he could search the car. I said OK. I had nothing to hide! They found 2 pill bottles on the floor both expired dates with nothing in them. They checked them out and assured me that even if they were empty they could have arrested me if they had been a certain class of drugs. "Next time be careful permitting your car to be searched." The one cop said!

If you say no, they'll just call a K-9 unit and have a dog check the car. If the dog "hits" on the car they can then search it without permission.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
17-01-2016, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2016 06:00 PM by Black Eagle.)
Take it from an old trial lawyer who has firsthand experience with searches and seizures. The fourth amendment is dead, dead, dead, and will never come back to life.

By the way, if you value personal freedom, get the fuck out of the USA. This country is oppressive and will never improve no matter who you elect to pubic office.
[+] 3 users Like Black Eagle's post
17-01-2016, 06:28 PM
(17-01-2016 10:47 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  "Denver, CO — While Texas lawmakers are trying to make filming the police illegal, Colorado is taking a much better approach.

A package of bills that are designed to increase police oversight has been introduced in the Colorado Legislature. One of the measures included in the package would impose up to $15,000 in civil penalties for cops who interfere with someone trying to film them."

http://www.alternet.org/civil-liberties/...le-filming

What I find telling is that Texas is trying to make it illegal to film police at all. Talk about a police state. No public accountability, no public oversight. Go figure.

It won't stand, per precedent.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-01-2016, 06:45 PM
(17-01-2016 12:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I can see SOME restrictions on filming police.

For instance --- undercover operations. Sometimes secrecy IS justifiable.

But a blanket ban on filming cops????

Nope -- that's a reeeally bad idea.

I can see the police having authority to seize recording equipment SUBJECT TO judicial review....

If the judge rules that the cops were trying to cover something up -- then the citizen would have the right to sue for damages, and punitive action against the cops for violation of civil rights...... If the judge says the cops are justified -- the recorded media would be eradicated and the equipment returned to the owner...

It's not an "either/or" situation but one that needs to be covered on a case by case basis...

They should only be able to seize recording equipment AFTER getting a court order, if at all. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2016, 06:47 PM
(17-01-2016 02:32 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
One issue they have is that the footage gets broadcast on the Internet, but not necessarily all of it or in the order of the sequence of events. The Internet Lynch Mob takes over from there. That's the scenario they're worried about.

In that case, they should sue for libel and/or defamation, just like actual people do. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
17-01-2016, 06:53 PM
(17-01-2016 11:18 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Texas bashing...second only to 'Merica' bashing in general. Undecided

It is illegal for police to be stopped filming them here where I live.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-01-2016, 06:57 PM
(17-01-2016 04:44 PM)bemore Wrote:  I find it alarming that you have a state that is pushing to make it illegal to film cops.

That is some really crazy shit, you can't allow that to happen peeps, like seriously you can't.

No
Texas is our own private third world.
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
17-01-2016, 07:07 PM
Some Texans are funny. I may have mentioned this before, but a Texan once told me plainly "Texas is much bigger than Australia!"
I said "Really".

Texas 696,241 km²

Australia 7.692 million km². Big Grin

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
18-01-2016, 07:27 AM
(17-01-2016 06:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-01-2016 12:34 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I can see SOME restrictions on filming police.

For instance --- undercover operations. Sometimes secrecy IS justifiable.

But a blanket ban on filming cops????

Nope -- that's a reeeally bad idea.

I can see the police having authority to seize recording equipment SUBJECT TO judicial review....

If the judge rules that the cops were trying to cover something up -- then the citizen would have the right to sue for damages, and punitive action against the cops for violation of civil rights...... If the judge says the cops are justified -- the recorded media would be eradicated and the equipment returned to the owner...

It's not an "either/or" situation but one that needs to be covered on a case by case basis...

They should only be able to seize recording equipment AFTER getting a court order, if at all. Drinking Beverage

That's not how cops work.

They don't need a court order to arrest someone. They don't need a court order to shoot someone.

They HAVE to be given the power to do such things in order to do their job.

But -- they're supposed to exercise restraint - and only use such powers when needed.

The right to film someone isn't any greater than the right to breath......

That's why the cops are subject to judicial review.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.