Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)
I post links from Foxnews. Why? Because it's the only news site not blocked at work.

But, since I started doing this, I've noticed a strange phenomenon. There is a lot of bashing and discontent towards the site. It's called "fake" and "untrustworthy".

Now, I have admitted that their political articles are partisan, but that's not what I'm interested in. I post links unrelated to politics and still get flak.

Here are some of TTA's quotes about Foxnews.

Quote:Fox... Dodgy

Quote:I do see foxnews as the greater of the liars, of the news outlets. Trusting them seems foolish.

Quote:Basically it's not too hard to dig up foxnews lying about science.

Quote:I dismissed the article as soon as I read it was from Fox News. It's a habit of mine, mainly because that site contains 99% shit.

Quote:Ah, it was pretty good that you acted that way because of Fox news

And, this is just what I've experienced. I know germanyt fought this battle here as well.

So, this is my challenge:

Find me 5 articles (the site is huge, so 5 is a low number) that represent your claims. Show me articles with false claims, claims not backed by research, or anything else that can support your theory that Foxnews is untrustworthy.

Rules:
1) No political articles (because this isn't about politics)
2) No style articles (the "How You Know What He's Thinking" type articles)
3) No opinion articles (opinion articles aren't real journalism)

Foxnews

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-07-2012, 08:04 AM
RE: Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)
So you want badly researched articles about old ladies' knitting competitions?
03-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Fox News Viewers are less informed than people who don't watch news at all

... No need to look any further imo...
03-07-2012, 08:14 AM
(03-07-2012 08:09 AM)Vipa Wrote:  Fox News Viewers are less informed than people who don't watch news at all

... No need to look any further imo...

Hmmm, is this a Red Herring or a Strawman?

03-07-2012, 08:15 AM
[Image: stefon_from_snl_inspires_mad_libs_tributes-460x307.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
03-07-2012, 08:21 AM
Well if their political articles can't be trusted and has lead to this reputation that FOX news now has, why does it come as any surprise that people are hesitant to trust anything that then comes from FOX news political or not?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
03-07-2012, 08:24 AM
It is neither. It simply doesn't matter wheter or not they spread false information. Obviously their skill at transfering this information correctly has reached not just zero but is negative...

And you disregard the fact that false information can be delivered by the things you do not say...
And why exactly shouldn't we consider politics? It is important to at least be objective about what one says. You can still bash the shit afterwards.
03-07-2012, 08:29 AM
(03-07-2012 08:24 AM)Vipa Wrote:  It is neither. It simply doesn't matter wheter or not they spread false information. Obviously their skill at transfering this information correctly has reached not just zero but is negative...

And you disregard the fact that false information can be delivered by the things you do not say...
And why exactly shouldn't we consider politics? It is important to at least be objective about what one says. You can still bash the shit afterwards.

It does matter because you're not actually answering the question. You're trusting someone else and what others have said instead of actually finding out for yourself.

And, no politics because that's not the issue at hand. If I post a link for a science article, politics is completely non-sequitur; however, unfounded prejudice is derived from it. It's an unfair assessment.

03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Wikipedia might be a good start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Ch...troversies

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
03-07-2012, 08:33 AM
I'll play the devil's advocate.

If we are people who say we choose to believe what is true and choose to be skeptical, then we should also realize that the things that are true aren't always what we want to hear, nor where we want to learn them from.

I think what kingy here is saying is.... "Are the articles they post in regards to science less credible because they're a bunch of politically biased bastards? How do you know?"

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to politics, fox is a bunch of biased bastards. But... does that mean that news in relation to other things (not related to politics... say science, nature, etc) should be discounted? How do you know? If someone is truly a skeptic, we know that one biased statement doesn't mean that all statements therefore proceeding forward are false.