Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
RE: Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)
(03-07-2012 09:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 08:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Kinda hypocritical condemnation, don't you think?
Yea of course.
We complain about them being hell bent on being a theist, but then we're hell bent on being an Atheist.
And we claim we are "free thinkers", yet in the same sentence that you hear an atheist claim to be a free thinker they'll complain that theists believe themselves to be better then us.

Hypocritical sure, but that just shows human nature doesn't it.
Theist, Atheist, Agnostic whatever, your beliefs are your beliefs and they really mean something to you and so of course you are going to believe yours to be superior, I mean it's hard to accept that what you believe is wrong, nobody likes being told what they strongly believe in is wrong.

I think there is two types of thinking, thinking and really sitting down and having a think about it. Like take this FOX news, people associate it with their reputation and hence don't want anything to do with it. Sure it may not make sense when you stop and really think about it but we don't, we instantly associate it with theist biased opinion which differs from our own beliefs and hence dismiss it. It's like stereotypes, you associate the bigger picture with one element of it.
So brings me back to my original point, why are you surprised and obviously annoyed enough to make a thread about it, by a bunch of atheists reacting this way?

Well, said. Very well said.

As for your question... it just gets old. Every time I post an article, the peanut gallery chimes in.

Also, I like to shed light on things... hopefully, this will make people think and reconsider their bias.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 09:08 AM
(03-07-2012 09:04 AM)Vipa Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 08:52 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Those are screen shots from the News Program and are not articles.

I am asking for articles from http://www.foxnews.com

News programs have a greater chance of error because of the haste in which they are done. Written articles bear a different standard.

Try again.

"Show me articles with false claims, claims not backed by research, or anything else that can support your theory that Foxnews is untrustworthy."

Wrong you are asking also for "anything else that can support your theory that foxnews is untrustworthy"

Try again.

Confusion of semantics. My apologies.

The sentence was in reference to Foxnews' articles. "Anything else" was an all inclusive pronoun that represents any thought or claim as to why the articles are untrustworthy.

The argument was never about the News program. It's about the articles on the site.

03-07-2012, 09:18 AM
(03-07-2012 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 09:01 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yea of course.
We complain about them being hell bent on being a theist, but then we're hell bent on being an Atheist.
And we claim we are "free thinkers", yet in the same sentence that you hear an atheist claim to be a free thinker they'll complain that theists believe themselves to be better then us.

Hypocritical sure, but that just shows human nature doesn't it.
Theist, Atheist, Agnostic whatever, your beliefs are your beliefs and they really mean something to you and so of course you are going to believe yours to be superior, I mean it's hard to accept that what you believe is wrong, nobody likes being told what they strongly believe in is wrong.

I think there is two types of thinking, thinking and really sitting down and having a think about it. Like take this FOX news, people associate it with their reputation and hence don't want anything to do with it. Sure it may not make sense when you stop and really think about it but we don't, we instantly associate it with theist biased opinion which differs from our own beliefs and hence dismiss it. It's like stereotypes, you associate the bigger picture with one element of it.
So brings me back to my original point, why are you surprised and obviously annoyed enough to make a thread about it, by a bunch of atheists reacting this way?

Well, said. Very well said.

As for your question... it just gets old. Every time I post an article, the peanut gallery chimes in.

Also, I like to shed light on things... hopefully, this will make people think and reconsider their bias.
Sure yeah it may get old, but like I said about Egor, you are an theist posting on an atheist forum. So those notions about certain things are there , ie: this FOX news one. And so that's just something you gotta take at face value.

And yea fair enough, it's good to try to shred some light on things. But just like I said in my last post, this idea that Fox is some evil Jesus loving news station (which has some truth to it) is pretty ingrained, and hence if I was you I wouldn't expect wonders. Don't get me wrong, by all means try, you never get anywhere, never change anything if you never bring it up and try, I mean it's why I still argue theists, sure I may not win them over 99% of the time but I got a shit load better chance if I try then if I leave them to carry on their merry way. So all kudos to you.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
(03-07-2012 09:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 09:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, said. Very well said.

Sure yeah it may get old, but like I said about Egor, you are an theist posting on an atheist forum. So those notions about certain things are there , ie: this FOX news one. And so that's just something you gotta take at face value.

And yea fair enough, it's good to try to shred some light on things. But just like I said in my last post, this idea that Fox is some evil Jesus loving news station (which has some truth to it) is pretty ingrained, and hence if I was you I wouldn't expect wonders. Don't get me wrong, by all means try, you never get anywhere, never change anything if you never bring it up and try, I mean it's why I still argue theists, sure I may not win them over 99% of the time but I got a shit load better chance if I try then if I leave them to carry on their merry way. So all kudos to you.

Fair enough... but, I don't know... it's just strange to me... and a bit foreign. I don't dismiss articles from Huffington, MSNBC, or CNN because of their partisan political views.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
(03-07-2012 09:23 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 09:18 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sure yeah it may get old, but like I said about Egor, you are an theist posting on an atheist forum. So those notions about certain things are there , ie: this FOX news one. And so that's just something you gotta take at face value.

Fair enough... but, I don't know... it's just strange to me... and a bit foreign. I don't dismiss articles from Huffington, MSNBC, or CNN because of their partisan political views.
Yea because you're a theist.

Us Atheists can't be seen reading no god damn dirty theist articles, imagine what the neighbors would think!? *gasp*

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
The only time I read Fox news is when you guys link to it. Because of the rep thing I tend to not trust it and cross check... so it becomes self perpetuating.

Hypothesis: all news sites are full of shit. Because Fox has negative rep, people tend to scrutinize Fox reporting more closely, thus finding errors which they would have missed if they weren't checking carefully. Hence Fox gets more negative rep. Big Grin
03-07-2012, 09:34 AM
(03-07-2012 07:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Now, I have admitted that their political articles are partisan, but that's not what I'm interested in. I post links unrelated to politics and still get flak.

The fact that their television station is a right-wing political organization that's extremely bias, untrustworthy and dishonest is what makes anything with the label "Fox News" automatically disregarded.

They could have Pulitzer Prize winning work online, outside of politics, but it's hard to even give anything else a chance when two seconds of their television programming and political propaganda will make a sane person sick to their stomach.

"Fair and Balanced"

Their political and social bias can easily rollover into anything and everything. I'm not saying that it does, or it has to, but you really can't knock people for making reasonable inferences.

If a whole organization constantly makes right-wing religious remarks about the left having a "war on religion" and secular organizations trying to throw religion out of politics and society, it's not then a far stretch to assume that they will slide that bias into an article about a scientific discovery or throw any other right-wing bias, into any other topic they cover online or otherwise.

I get your point of not wanting to be criticized for posting online articles to support or spark conversation in a thread, but I don't think it's necessary to go the extra step by trying to prove Fox News Online as credible and shoving the blame onto other people for making reasonable assumptions about the content, in regards to the accuracy or bias, of Fox News articles.

It would have been enough to just say that not all Fox News articles contain such bias, or in certain areas of their reporting those bias aren't brought in and/or don't matter much.

Quote:Fair enough... but, I don't know... it's just strange to me... and a bit foreign. I don't dismiss articles from Huffington, MSNBC, or CNN because of their partisan political views.

Yeah, but I doubt they could be on Fox New's level if they tried, and MSNBC does. You have to be seriously sippin' the Kool-Aid to be on point with it like Fox is able to do.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
03-07-2012, 09:42 AM
(03-07-2012 09:34 AM)TrulyX Wrote:  I get your point of not wanting to be criticized for posting online articles to support or spark conversation in a thread, but I don't think it's necessary to go the extra step by trying to prove Fox News Online as credible and shoving the blame onto other people for making reasonable assumptions about the content, in regards to the accuracy or bias, of Fox News articles.

No.

Just no.

You're saying, "Evidence isn't necessary. Just continue to think like other people think and don't look for yourself. And don't worry, you can never be blamed for your ignorance and never try to remedy that ignorance."

03-07-2012, 09:47 AM
(03-07-2012 09:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No.

Just no.

You're saying, "Evidence isn't necessary. Just continue to think like other people think and don't look for yourself. And don't worry, you can never be blamed for your ignorance and never try to remedy that ignorance."

Quote:It would have been enough to just say that not all Fox News articles contain such bias, or in certain areas of their reporting those bias aren't brought in and/or don't matter much.

I'm saying, in this situation, what you are trying to do by this thread, that isn't necessary.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
03-07-2012, 10:17 AM
My father told me "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you read."

I don't take any news as gospel; at least cross-check them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post