Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 10:43 AM
RE: Fine then... prove it (about Foxnews' website)
My personal beef with FOX is mostly with FNC, and less with Foxnews.com. Although I believe all of Fox News to be strongly politically biased (to the point of flat out lying at times and omitting critical facts at other times when it doesn't support the narrative) I think that FNC is the worst and most visible.

My skepticism of Fox News extends throughout because I know that News Corp is owned by Rupert Murdoch and he's a slimy piece of work that is willing to go to the lengths of allowing the hacking of peoples' personal cell phones to get news stories. He pushes a political narrative and Fox News makes that narrative highly visible. But that might be my own bias against him talking...

It's in some ways unfortunate that the National Geographic Channel is owned by News Corp. But at the same time it's because of stuff like that that I don't immediately discount whatever is on Fox News. I am just more skeptical of what I read from them. I trust National Geographic because I've always viewed them as having a standard- especially the magazine (I don't have cable/satellite to watch their channel).

But with regard to your specific challenge- I think it's reasonable to request that we not reject anything produced by them simply because it's an article linked from FoxNews.com. I would probably be able to find specific examples of political agenda quickly and easily. But anything not political might be more difficult. You might have to look at articles or big stories NOT covered by Fox News (but covered by other major news sites) that would go against the narrative. Bias like that would probably be more subtle if it even noticeably exists.

Maybe someone else brought this up already- but why is FoxNews.com the only news site not blocked? Is it because Fox News generally reports the narrative accepted at your company or by your company's management?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kineo's post
03-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Kineo... I've questioned it as well... it just seems odd that even our local news website is blocked but not Foxnews'.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-07-2012, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 04:36 PM by Buddy Christ.)
Honest men can lie and liars can tell the truth. But I'd rather put my trust in the honest man than the liar. At least that way, when I'm being lied to I know it's with good intentions, instead of being told the truth by a liar and doubting his every word. Even when Rupert Murdoch and Co are reporting the truth, it's hard to not assume there's a foundation of manipulation and partisan bias underneath.

P.S. This cryptic message has been brought to you by someone too lazy to write a coherent response. Weed and Five Guys puts you on the verge of a coma.

P.P.S. It's kind of like when the Bible gets a historical event correct. Yes, it's the truth but do you really want to give it credence considering the context it's derived from?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 5 users Like Buddy Christ's post
03-07-2012, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 04:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(03-07-2012 04:23 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  Honest men can lie and liars can tell the truth. But I'd rather put my trust in the honest man than the liar. At least that way, when I'm being lied to I know it's for good intentions, instead of being told the truth by a liar and doubting his every word. Even when Rupert Murdoch and Co are reporting the truth, it's hard to not assume there's a foundation of manipulation and partisan bias underneath.

Yeah, that's it. I don't trust that fucker farther than I can throw him. But the older and more frail he gets, and the stronger I get, the farther I can throw him. Wink

I actually like watching the FOX Report with Shepard Smith. Dunno why he ain't been fired yet.

(03-07-2012 04:23 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  P.S. This cryptic message has been brought to you by someone too lazy to write a coherent response. Weed and Five Guys puts you on the verge of a coma.

My Doc don't give a dick 'bout the weed, but if I'm gonna be doing Five Guys regularly he suggests a personal, in-home defibrillator.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
03-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Speaking of 5 Guys, here is a good example of the problem with Fox:

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2011/09/26/...-fo/181419

I don't consider Media Matters to be an unbiased source of information so just watch the video and leave it at that. To be clear, there is no controversy as to the health risks from too much salt. None. And yet......

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-07-2012, 09:03 PM
Yep, who, in their right mind, would trust Rupert 'flippin' Murdoch? After all the fucker's Australian, man!!! Wink

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Every time I brought this up the only replies I got had to do with Fox News Channel. No one addressed the fact that there is a difference between a website and a TV channel. There is no question the channel intentionally misleads the public. The website is, AFAIK, not guilty of this. Meanwhile, someone posts an MSNBC link or video and no one says a word.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 2 users Like germanyt's post
04-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Um... well their news channel is poisoning the website's rep then. They should rebrand. And I'd like to know, how come it's stressed that the website is super duper unbiased and so on? Why should I trust them if they've got such a bad rep?
04-07-2012, 05:15 AM
Here's your proof: Fox sucks zombie dick. There you go. Thumbsup

I'm not reading it, in my trusty atheist's handbook, where I gotta be rational alla time. One thing I do alla time, at least that I can remember, is choose a link posting from several non-contradictory options, and if it's a singleton, I don't post it. And if your job's internet only allows Fox... why, that's just un-American! You ought to file with the labor board.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-10-2012, 02:37 AM
alright KC, in order to not derail your thread about the whale, posting here. Referring to this: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid191367

"Fox News" in the US is like "BILD" in Germany.
I have never heard anything by FoxNews that got me interested. Alone how they present their news. Not in a news speaker voice but in a sensational voice. If a so-called news channel is as biased as FoxNews that means they are not trust worthy. The fact that the site is huge and might have a few ok articles means nothing when most of the stuff is not trustworthy.
Everything I saw, that was in any way important and presented by FoxNews, was BS. FoxNews is about sensation and not about news. They give you everything that sounds awesome or outragous and if it isn't, they make it so. They are not presenting news and new findings in the way they are supposed to as a news channel / website. Take your whale thing, it may be true, I didn't research it because I don't care enough. Fact is, it is on the FoxNews site because it sounds awesome. Doesn't it sound awesome that a whale seems to try human voices WOOOOOOOW look all here.
So if everything on a supposedly news website is super awesome or very outragous, how do you know which articles you can trust and which not? As a lazy internet user, I wanna go somewhere, read it, and be relatively sure that the info presented to me is ok. Especially on a news site.
I am not sure what good news channels or newspapers there are in America but in Germany there is indeed just one Newspaper I read because they have never disappointed me in 28 years, that is Sueddeutsche Zeitung.

BILD in Germany is a newspaper just as bad as FoxNews. Now guess what, if someone presents me with an article by BILD I will tell them to fuck off and for sure I will not read it.

If you post stuff from the FoxNews site on a forum like this, full of thinkers and critics, you will keep getting the negative reactions on these links. So either you put up with it and be not annoyed or you stop posting FoxNews.

mkay done

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user