Fiorina's Challenge

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2015, 12:17 PM
RE: Fiorina's Challenge
(23-09-2015 12:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 12:08 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Maybe some people are somehow experiencing the same fever dream hallucination Fiorina did, instead of the actual video contents?

Well the Anti-choice side has always been more about feels than facts, especially when they oppose birth control and sexual education the 2 things that do more to prevent abortions than anything else. Every argument they have is either A: A Lie or B: An appeal to emotion.

Let me amend this from Every to Most as I am sure they have a few that are actually fact based.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2015, 12:19 PM
(23-09-2015 12:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 12:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well the Anti-choice side has always been more about feels than facts, especially when they oppose birth control and sexual education the 2 things that do more to prevent abortions than anything else. Every argument they have is either A: A Lie or B: An appeal to emotion.

Let me amend this from Every to Most as I am sure they have a few that are actually fact based.

Faith? Out of you, Revs? Dodgy

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2015, 12:27 PM
(23-09-2015 12:19 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 12:17 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Let me amend this from Every to Most as I am sure they have a few that are actually fact based.

Faith? Out of you, Revs? Dodgy

Was just trying to avoid an A-ha moment from Heywood where he pulls 1 fact and ignores the fact that it is merely the exception that proves the rule.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
23-09-2015, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 01:13 PM by Heywood Jahblome.)
(23-09-2015 12:05 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 11:50 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I was simply curious if watching the video would change peoples attitude regarding abortion and how it was conducted in this country. Fiorina seemed to think that it would.

Given that the video does not even feature an aborted fetus why would it?

I'm glad the video doesn't feature an aborted fetus. If it did, the Pro-Killing-20-Weak-Old-Fetuses-and-Cut-Their-Faces-Open-To-Harvest-Their-Brains movement would accuse the Pro-life movement of using shock tactics.

The oral testimony combined with video of a premature baby at 20 weeks was adequate to convey the message this is morally wrong without being unnecessarily gory.
23-09-2015, 04:47 PM
(23-09-2015 11:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Who cares? We kicked Heywood out of his own thread. That's a win. Thumbsup

We can thank Alla for that. Used properly she is a valuable asset. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
23-09-2015, 05:00 PM
(23-09-2015 11:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  Of course we need welfare. LDS Church has the biggest welfare program and in some cases even better than the government's welfare program, trust me I know this. We need to help those who are weak or unable to help themselves.
But we still can and have to learn to be as self-reliant as possible.
I hope we agree on that.

She's not wrong here. The LDS Church Welfare Department is a noble cause. The tithe is of course an explicit redistribution of wealth which presumably political Alla objects to. And she's right that it can be better than the US welfare program. Charities have flexibility to realize when something ain't working it's time to change, not so with US welfare. And when charities combine their efforts with State governments, amazing things can happen. The shockingly simple, surprisingly cost-effective solution that won over a bunch of conservatives in Utah.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
23-09-2015, 10:12 PM
(23-09-2015 11:09 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 06:25 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  How does this insinuate self-reliance? This was Jesus talking.
Jesus was talking about spiritual things. We need God for spiritual strength so we can bring good spiritual works.
But God teaches us to do on our own all we can. We can do many things on our own. Only when we can NOT do something we rely on others: on God and people around us.
So, this is the point: be self-reliant as much as possible, not 100% .

Of course we need welfare. LDS Church has the biggest welfare program and in some cases even better than the government's welfare program, trust me I know this. We need to help those who are weak or unable to help themselves.
But we still can and have to learn to be as self-reliant as possible.
I hope we agree on that.

Ok so how do you know that Jesus was referring only to spiritual reliance? You can read it more than one way. So how did you infer that?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
24-09-2015, 08:53 PM
(23-09-2015 10:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ok so how do you know that Jesus was referring only to spiritual reliance? You can read it more than one way. So how did you infer that?
If I am hungry and I have some food I don't need God to cook some nice meal for me.
If I need home and I have materials I don't need God to build it for me.
If need money and I can have job I don't need God to provide money for me.
If I know what choice is the best(I have enough knowledge and experience) I don't need God to make right/the best choice

But I need God spiritually all the time. When I am weak I need him. When I am scared I need Him. When I don't know what choice to make(what would be the best choice) I need His answer.
I need His guideless all the time. I rely on Him 100%.

In temporal things not all the time.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
25-09-2015, 08:56 AM
(24-09-2015 08:53 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 10:12 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Ok so how do you know that Jesus was referring only to spiritual reliance? You can read it more than one way. So how did you infer that?
If I am hungry and I have some food I don't need God to cook some nice meal for me.
If I need home and I have materials I don't need God to build it for me.
If need money and I can have job I don't need God to provide money for me.
If I know what choice is the best(I have enough knowledge and experience) I don't need God to make right/the best choice

But I need God spiritually all the time. When I am weak I need him. When I am scared I need Him. When I don't know what choice to make(what would be the best choice) I need His answer.
I need His guideless all the time. I rely on Him 100%.

In temporal things not all the time.

Ok, but that is how you are reading it. How do you know that is what Jesus meant?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
26-09-2015, 04:37 PM
(25-09-2015 08:56 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  How do you know that is what Jesus meant?

There is only one way to know - by the power of the Holy Ghost. Spirit gives me correct understanding. Without Spirit I have to rely only on my personal opinion or somebody else's personal opinion.
And we know that personal opinions can be both - correct and incorrect.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED