Fire Fighting Frustrations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Fire Fighting Frustrations
So addressing a concept that really seems like it isnt safe in a context like Facebook where you have the semi-religious soap-box-screamers who just want to defend it all and 'keep the peace' while screaming my face off, so I'm going to put it here.
For anyone on here from Australia (and it has become evident to me in the last few hours that there are quite a few of you) you would know about the bushfires that have ravaged our land over the last week or two and in particular you may be aware of a little country town called Coonabarabran in which 50 some homes were destroyed by fire and a large portion of the townsfolk are now living in the local town hall and at the High School. The town has been literally torn to shreds by this monster of heat and if the community wasn't as tight knit as it is, the town may not have survived.
Now, why am I bringing this up? Well, I grew up in Coonabarabran and while I still consider it my home town, it is also the current town of a number of my relatives and a lot of childhood friends. My Facebook feed is currently covered in updates on the fire damage, the fundraising drives and the immense 'power of people' which is pulling this devastated little town out of the pit of despair and on the road to recovery. The man power behind this effort is incredible and I am so grateful to all who have assisted in this process, but SO consistently all that I see on these posts is "thank God this" and "thank God that" and "blessings from Heaven", etc. And it just makes me physically ill because I see what is really helping those people and it is NOT divine intervention. My relatives still have their 40 acre property, not because God stepped in the way of the flames and shepherded the people to safety, but because fire-fighting teams from across the state travelled to fight this monster and they slaved to save the livelihood of my family.
I posted an photo that one of my friends had taken on my Facebook wall of the flames as they closed in on the houses not far from where I spent my childhood years and my aunt, who I'm not sure of the religious status of, posted 'Thanks to God that no one was badly hurt, Penny' and I so desperately wanted to respond with some sort of cutting remark on how this 'God' had nothing to do with it, but I was able to stop myself because I knew that 'shit-stirring' was entirely unnecessary at that point.
I should get to my point... I'm sorry for going on like this.
Basically I wanted to make a point of how frustrated I get when God gets the credit for the good things that happen in such tragedies, but so rarely gets asked why he wasnt there to stop the bad. I am so angry that people will invite their god into this event in a way of giving credit where it is NOT DUE! And I'm ashamed that when I was religious, I did exactly the same thing.
I would love to hear your opinions on this and any other similar situations you would like to consider in this. Smile

"Those people who think they know everything
are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
- Isaac Asimov
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PennyJo's post
23-01-2013, 11:45 AM
RE: Fire Fighting Frustrations
Blessings from heaven my ass.

If it were a god intervening on our behalf, I imagine, it should have got its arse in gear and just plain stopped the fires from starting in the first place.

Dodgy

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
23-01-2013, 11:48 AM
(23-01-2013 11:45 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Blessings from heaven my ass.

If it were a god intervening on our behalf, I imagine, it should have got its arse in gear and just plain stopped the fires from starting in the first place.

Dodgy

And a little rain wouldn't have fuckin' killed him. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah, that couldn't have been so damn hard.

Anyway, this town may be down for the count, it might not be, there have been other towns throughout history that have suffered bigger blows than that and survived to tell the tale.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
23-01-2013, 12:35 PM
Rain? God can't make it rain. There's no precedent...

What? What's that about Noah? Oh, um, yeah, well, nevermind.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
24-01-2013, 02:05 PM
I understand your frustrations, as do most here. No need to apologize, ranting is encouraged. In any event, I am glad to hear your family survived the fires.

24-01-2013, 08:35 PM
It would be interesting to see how such people would react if after saying "Thank God nobody was hurt," you respond with "yeah, maybe in my family, but the neighbors were burnt to a crisp."

[Image: giphy.gif]