Poll: Should there be a Firearm Forum
Yes. I thirst for more gun-talk
No. I like making everybody hear my opinions on deadly weapons.
I want to shoot everybody
[Show Results]

Firearm Forum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2015, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2015 01:29 PM by Adrianime.)
RE: Firearm Forum?
(04-12-2015 12:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  The whole point of having different sections is to organize posts. Gun debate is a political topic so it should belong in the political section, the Original Thread was in the world news section so the discussion should have stayed on the topic of the actual news, the shooting, not debate about guns and get into conversations that have nothing to do with the original topic. I know certain topics can cause people to type and talk without taking that into consideration and I'm guilty of taking a thread out of it's intended discussion as much as anyone else and that's why we need Moms but it's up to us to catch ourselves and to stop it from happening because Moms and Stark have better things to do then deal with our same BS for the 400th time. My 2 cents.
My take is...conversations grow organically and if they take a turn in a certain direction, either the people will go with it or they won't. When reading through a thread and seeing where the conversation is going it's a slight bummer when I see an administrative "let's not talk about this *here*." For that particular thread if we started going down the trail of "jihad","Isis" then it would be just as much of a valid turn as "guns","gun control." (i.e. Just like how people shouldn't use guns to murder people, they shouldn't use religion to murder people either. But it happens, a-lot, and has historically in both cases.) Perhaps if we started talking about abortion or antivaccers then that would be a gross leap off-topic.

Most interesting news stories are loaded with controversial topics...that's why we find them interesting. I guess we could all nod our heads and agree how terrible the event was. Maybe the news section should be a "protected" section like Personal Issues and Support?

Edit: Added the word "here" for those nitpicky folks who chose to interpret this as a Straw Man.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post
04-12-2015, 12:37 PM
(04-12-2015 12:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Fair point.

'Cos the rest of the world was just thinking to itself ... gun problem? wot gun problem?

Girl_nails

Ohmy

Weeping

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
04-12-2015, 12:40 PM
(04-12-2015 12:32 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 12:02 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  The whole point of having different sections is to organize posts. Gun debate is a political topic so it should belong in the political section, the Original Thread was in the world news section so the discussion should have stayed on the topic of the actual news, the shooting, not debate about guns and get into conversations that have nothing to do with the original topic. I know certain topics can cause people to type and talk without taking that into consideration and I'm guilty of taking a thread out of it's intended discussion as much as anyone else and that's why we need Moms but it's up to us to catch ourselves and to stop it from happening because Moms and Stark have better things to do then deal with our same BS for the 400th time. My 2 cents.
My take is...conversations grow organically and if they take a turn in a certain direction, either the people will go with it or they won't. When reading through a thread and seeing where the conversation is going it's a slight bummer when I see an administrative "let's not talk about this." For that particular thread if we started going down the trail of "jihad","Isis" then it would be just as much of a valid turn as "guns","gun control." (i.e. Just like how people shouldn't use guns to murder people, they shouldn't use religion to murder people either. But it happens, a-lot, and has historically in both cases.) Perhaps if we started talking about abortion or antivaccers then that would be a gross leap off-topic.

Most interesting news stories are loaded with controversial topics...that's why we find them interesting. I guess we could all nod our heads and agree how terrible the event was. Maybe the news section should be a "protected" section like Personal Issues and Support?

Moms never said not to talk about it, she said not to talk about it on that thread, hence why it was moved, if you want to talk about it just make a new thread in the appropriate section and let people know you made the thread and point them to it so you can continue the conversation without interruption. It really is not hard.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
04-12-2015, 12:41 PM
(04-12-2015 11:44 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Lol, you guys can't even resist arguing about guns in a thread meant to discuss where to put all your (redundant) gun arguments!

Whew! I haven't laughed like that since I was a little girl. Dodgy

I was laughing too. It seems like a simple Yes/No question. Hobo

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-12-2015, 12:44 PM
My take is...conversations grow organically and if they take a turn in a certain direction, either the people will go with it or they won't. When reading through a thread and seeing where the conversation is going it's a slight bummer when I see an administrative "let's not talk about this." For that particular thread if we started going down the trail of "jihad","Isis" then it would be just as much of a valid turn as "guns","gun control." (i.e. Just like how people shouldn't use guns to murder people, they shouldn't use religion to murder people either. But it happens, a-lot, and has historically in both cases.) Perhaps if we started talking about abortion or antivaccers then that would be a gross leap off-topic.

Despite your Straw Man, no one said not to talk about guns. But...there are about 3.5 million Threads about guns. Making those threads "centrally located" seems like a good organization. Of course, the gun Nazis are now going apoplectic because they just "read" that I suggested a Federally located registration.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
04-12-2015, 12:55 PM

Straw man. But I'm getting used to you looking for something to complain about. Dodgy Fortunately for you, the administration here doesn't restrict what anyone can talk (bitch) about. All moms did was make sure that other topics ALSO get some attention. Talk about what you want, but don't turns other threads into your topic of choice. We allow more freedom of speech than most sites, but asking us not to keep things under control is just abusing our leniency.

When there's half a dozen people who turn every thread they can into a gun debate, that's not "conversations growing organically", it's a few loud people shouting over everyone else.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 7 users Like Stark Raving's post
04-12-2015, 01:17 PM
I like what facebook has now.

Lets say there is a thread and you reply to a specific comment.

Here, your reply will contain a quote and appear at the end of the thread, no matter how long. So individual conversations are all discombobulated.

In facebook, if you reply to an individual post, your reply slips in under that post.

Now on facebook the reader can choose to read a series of replies going down a certain path of conversation, or to skip it and stay with the main conversation.

Here, our train of thought is constantly interrupted by irrelevant comments, or we see out of context replies to posts placed 10 pages earlier.

Not sure if this makes any sense... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2015, 01:19 PM
(04-12-2015 12:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 12:32 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  My take is...conversations grow organically and if they take a turn in a certain direction, either the people will go with it or they won't. When reading through a thread and seeing where the conversation is going it's a slight bummer when I see an administrative "let's not talk about this." For that particular thread if we started going down the trail of "jihad","Isis" then it would be just as much of a valid turn as "guns","gun control." (i.e. Just like how people shouldn't use guns to murder people, they shouldn't use religion to murder people either. But it happens, a-lot, and has historically in both cases.) Perhaps if we started talking about abortion or antivaccers then that would be a gross leap off-topic.

Straw man. But I'm getting used to you looking for something to complain about. Dodgy Fortunately for you, the administration here doesn't restrict what anyone can talk (bitch) about. All moms did was make sure that other topics ALSO get some attention. Talk about what you want, but don't turns other threads into your topic of choice. We allow more freedom of speech than most sites, but asking us not to keep things under control is just abusing our leniency.

When there's half a dozen people who turn every thread they can into a gun debate, that's not "conversations growing organically", it's a few loud people shouting over everyone else.
Do I complain a lot? I wasn't aware. *sigh* It's been a while since someone took a shot at me so that kind of hurt haha.

And I'm not asking you to do anything. Overall it's up to you guys to do what you want. I'm just saying my mind.

04-12-2015, 01:23 PM
(04-12-2015 12:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Despite your Straw Man, no one said not to talk about guns. But...there are about 3.5 million Threads about guns. Making those threads "centrally located" seems like a good organization. Of course, the gun Nazis are now going apoplectic because they just "read" that I suggested a Federally located registration.
Okay, I understand that we could always go somewhere else to talk about a topic. Which is clearly what she said to do. I didn't mean to say anything different so sorry if that was interpreted as a Straw Man. My point was she stopped the conversation in its current form. Whether or not we could continue it elsewhere is irrelevant to what I was advocating.

04-12-2015, 01:46 PM
(04-12-2015 01:19 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(04-12-2015 12:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Straw man. But I'm getting used to you looking for something to complain about. Dodgy Fortunately for you, the administration here doesn't restrict what anyone can talk (bitch) about. All moms did was make sure that other topics ALSO get some attention. Talk about what you want, but don't turns other threads into your topic of choice. We allow more freedom of speech than most sites, but asking us not to keep things under control is just abusing our leniency.

Do I complain a lot? I wasn't aware. *sigh* It's been a while since someone took a shot at me so that kind of hurt haha.

And I'm not asking you to do anything. Overall it's up to you guys to do what you want. I'm just saying my mind.

Oh don't be hurt. It really was just that, "a shot".

I know you're just speaking your mind....I'm just speaking mine back. I get short tempered with these discussions because it really does get tiring when we put in a huge effort to let people say what they want while maintaining some sort of order, only to be met with complaints about how we're restricting conversation.

You may complain. But be prepared, for I also may retort.

So many cats, so few good recipes.