Firearms/Second Amendment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2010, 01:16 PM

Firearms/Second Amendment
Okay, so I know how the majority of Christians (especially, the really bat-shit crazy ones) feel about the Second Amendment. I'm curious if there is a general view in the atheist community regarding firearms. Of course, everyone think differently, but I wanted to see if there was a common view.

Personally, I am very pro-gun. Coming from a larger city, I have always had a gun in my home for personal protection. I never take it outside the house unless I'm going to the range. I always have it stored away. I am not a hunter. I am not what many consider to be a gun nut (although, I do enjoy operating them and keeping my skills sharp). I just simply want the option to protect myself if necessary.

It would absolutely devastate me to have to kill another human being. However, I don't know how I could live with myself if something happened to my family and I didn't at least attempt to protect them. Also, I would hate for my family to be without me due to someone else's stupidity.

Thoughts?
Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2010, 01:56 PM

RE: Firearms/Second Amendment
I don't care if you keep a gun in your home for protection but that doesn't exclude the possibility for gun control laws. What pisses me off are these people who feel it necessary to flaunt their "right" to guns. They will show up to conventions loaded, or walk around with their guns just to show them off. Apparently everyone skips over the part of the 2nd Amendment which states it is to be a "well-regulated" militia.

And it is supposed to be a militia. Not just a bunch of individuals running around with guns. Sounds to me like a way to appease the federalists at the beginning of the nation.
19-11-2010, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2010 04:26 PM by gamutman.)
My only issue is that I wish the founders had been aware of the technology that was coming when they drafted the damn thing. Sure, it's easy to write "the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," when arms means muskets and fixed bayonets.

Personally, I don't and won't own a gun. I think they are basically useless for self defense. I also think they invite certain kinds of crime. I don't like having one in my hands. I just generally have no use for them. That said, I believe in your right to have one. However, I do not believe the right for you to keep and bear one is infringed if we legislate limits. For example, I have the right to keep and bear a car. There's no amendment specifically granting me that right, nor is it specifically enumerated in the body of the Constitution, however I do have that right at this time. And that right is not infringed by the government imposing registration, inspections, speed limits, or other restrictions.

So if the government feels the need to ban certain weapons, restrict access to others, impose stronger laws vis-a-vis registration, close the gun show loophole in the waiting period law, etc. I say go for it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2010, 02:26 PM

I'm pro-gun and pro-second amendment, which is part of the inalienable Bill of rights.
I'd rather have a gun and not need it, than to need one and not have it.
19-11-2010, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2010 03:08 PM by Buddy Christ.)
They did a poll in my history of politics class, asking how many people think that only the police and military should have the right to carry arms. I think it was like 18 agree and 12 disagree. So the way I see it, 60% of my class preferred a police-state.

So yeah, I'm pro-gun. I think the people that aren't are the timid, terrified types that think guns just go off at random and/or don't understand the need for us to have access to means to defend ourselves. I should go off on a '1984' rant or something, but I just woke up.

SecondAmendmentTaskForce is quite right winged and pro-Palin, but it does have some nice shirts.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
19-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't think it's fair to say people who are not pro-gun (whatever that means) are timid. People are careless in general and that includes people who own guns. That's not the gun's "fault" but it is a good reason to dislike handling guns or being in the presence of guns. My daughter's idiot ex-boyfriend came here to stay a while and brought his gun (without asking me) and I found stray bullets lying around the house after he left. How "safe" do you think my house and household were while he and his gun were here compared to after they left?
19-11-2010, 03:53 PM

(19-11-2010 03:44 PM)gamutman Wrote:  I don't think it's fair to say people who are not pro-gun (whatever that means) are timid. People are careless in general and that includes people who own guns. That's not the gun's "fault" but it is a good reason to dislike handling guns or being in the presence of guns. My daughter's idiot ex-boyfriend came here to stay a while and brought his gun (without asking me) and I found stray bullets lying around the house after he left. How "safe" do you think my house and household were while he and his gun were here compared to after they left?

I'm with you on this. It isn't the gun. It's the idiot behind the trigger. I know a lot of guys who are very anti-gun, but at least they're smart/responsible enough that I would trust them with a gun. There are some gun owners I know that I wouldn't trust to check my mail. SOME, though, not all. There are a great number of responsible gun owners out there.
So, in short, not all anti-gun folks are timid.
As long as they realize that not all gun-owners are planning for the apocalypse.
19-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I think I'm pro-gun as well. I love going to the firing range with my family every few months and shooting targets. My dad's a hunter (exclusively for food--he himself finds hunting just for sport reprehensible) and I've gone out hunting once, but it's not really for me. Tongue I think it's important for guns to not be handed out to everyone--I think an objective process including a background check is important, but should absolutely not infringe on the rights of a typical citizen.

I've never done anything to hurt anybody physically on purpose (the worst I've done is push someone and walk away Tongue) so I couldn't imagine even defending myself with a gun (not to mention I've had no problems here in Japan where it's illegal for me to own a gun). I still think shooting as a sport should be protected. The safety regulations on the range are really impressive.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-11-2010, 04:31 PM
Absolutely, there are responsible gun owners and irresponsible ones. There are also responsible and irresponsible car owners. Hell, there are responsible and irresponsible curling iron owners, toaster owners and propane grill owners. We don't outlaw toasters or BBQs, but we do legislate safety requirements etc, to mitigate damage. The problem is that the NRA wields the second amendment like a righteous wedge to keep sensible legislation at a minimum. THAT'S what needs to change.
19-11-2010, 05:40 PM

(19-11-2010 04:31 PM)gamutman Wrote:  Absolutely, there are responsible gun owners and irresponsible ones. There are also responsible and irresponsible car owners. Hell, there are responsible and irresponsible curling iron owners, toaster owners and propane grill owners. We don't outlaw toasters or BBQs, but we do legislate safety requirements etc, to mitigate damage. The problem is that the NRA wields the second amendment like a righteous wedge to keep sensible legislation at a minimum. THAT'S what needs to change.

Again, I'm with you. However, we don't decide who gets to own curling irons, toasters, etc... Actual safety regulations, I agree, should be a common practice. With the exception of Remington (check out the story about the Remington 700), many firearms manufacturers have gone above and beyond, especially in the last ten years, to make firearms safer to operate. Springfield Armory makes a pistol called the XD. It has more safety features, which need to be activated in order to function, than any other handgun I've fired. Trust me, if you have kid hands, it would be a lot harder to get that thing to fire accidentally. If only all gun manufacturers were that responsible.

As far as restrictions, I say no one under 25 (Yes, I would raise the ownership age at least for handguns), no felons, and no one suffering from mental illness (does this include the religious?).