Poll: Should guns be legal for civilians to own?
No, none whatsoever
Hunting rifles only
All guns according to current US laws
All guns, full auto included
[Show Results]

Firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
RE: Firearms?
Full auto, man. I wanna go down to the grocery store, pick up an A-K with my Frosted Flakes, keep the neighborhood in line. Tongue

I'm thinking it's an American insanity. A gun is a tool, just like this thing I'm typing on - only this thing is a weapon of mass destruction, the written word. I'm with the visitor from Melmac on a lot of stuff, but I've been to other planets as well. Like love, and faith - not that faith, the real place, in the heart - and there shall come a day when mankind awakes and realizes we never left the Garden.

Killing is all-natural. Morality is all-natural control structure. Only thing different with this zero-state atheist - I tell ya, that shit ain't civilized. I wouldn't mind seeing a place the size of Wal-Mart, inside all holographic Halo, where I can take my real Russian A-K and go to town on holographic Christians all day... then meet the real Christians down at the bar, toss one back, compare notes. Wink

Aggression is all-natural to the human animal. Shit like Halo is man-made solution set that makes sense... we cannot go back in time, and make shit go away; but we can go forward in time, acting more like humans and less like animals.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM

(04-11-2011 02:53 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  ... we cannot go back in time, and make shit go away; but we can go forward in time, acting more like humans and less like animals.

Agreed. I am all for going forward to the 24th century "Star Trek" world with food replicators and Holodecks where we can indulge our primitive impulses to our hearts' content, without causing pain and destroying life.

As a refugee from Melmac, I hope humanity will follow a path different from ours... Rolleyes
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Zatamon's post
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
(04-11-2011 02:59 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  As a refugee from Melmac, I hope humanity will follow a path different from ours... Rolleyes

I concur. But the pen is mightier than the thermonuclear warhead, and I'm still writing. Have yet to buy the A-K, 'cause there ain't no place to use it yet. Wink

04-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Problem is: so few people think outside the box.

Most people think about "how to tweak the existing system" without realizing that tweaking will not get us anywhere.

We have been tweaking for thousands of years and we are still killing each other and everything else in sight.

Why not think big and brave, why not try "Intelligent Design" that the stupid non-existent deity was supposed to do.

We have the brains, all we need is the courage to dream big and look for new directions.

Without brave thinkers humanity will forever keep going in circles (more precisely in cycles) until our technology overwhelms our defenses and we go out with a bang or a whimper.

Dare to think big, people, dare to think -- there is much more out there than the same old shit over and over again!

Angry
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
(04-11-2011 03:56 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Angry
Know what the universe told me one time? She said that if we unzip mass from matter in our search for the Higgs and devour the universe, too bad, so sad - but ya don't learn nothing if you don't ask the question - and keep asking the question.

Smile
(Of course she's female - I'm male like that!)

14-11-2011, 10:50 AM
If they were to ever legalize the use of all guns, the US death toll would raise. All it takes is some guy under the influence to get upset and go grab his gun and start shooting at people. It wouldnt be a smart move at all. Personaly i think guns are rediculous to have.
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2011, 04:15 PM
IMO permits should be harder to get but all types of firearms shoudl be legal and legal to conceal carry. We just need to be more strict about who gets one but once they get one they should be able to carry it anywhere they go. I'm in favor of a safety course on firearms followed by a written test and background check before a person can register a gun. Aside from rifles or shotguns of course. In that case I only see a need for a hunting license to get a rifle.

And to those that prefer less guns, it doesn't help. All it does is remove a means of protection from those that woudl stop a crime or defend themselves. Criminals get guns illegally now anyway. Making guns extremely limitied or illegal isn't going to stop that.
(14-11-2011 10:50 AM)DaylightDusk Wrote:  If they were to ever legalize the use of all guns, the US death toll would raise. All it takes is some guy under the influence to get upset and go grab his gun and start shooting at people. It wouldnt be a smart move at all. Personaly i think guns are rediculous to have.

Any person can illegaly possess a gun and start shooting up the place. Guns dont' kill people. I know you are banned but I wanted to address this ridiculous post for others to see.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
06-12-2011, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2011 06:56 PM by Chas.)
(04-11-2011 01:18 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  In England it's a countrywide running joke that Americans can't solve any sort of problem without resorting to guns, lawyers and therapists.

Anyone who thinks gun control doesn't reduce gun crime needs to look at the figures, we have strict gun control and far lower gun crime over here.

Not true - violent crime has increased since the good people of GB were disarmed. Look it up.
(04-11-2011 01:26 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  There is something wrong with the framing of the issue, as it is stated in the poll question.
Why ban only civilian firearms?
Why not disarm the police, as well? Right after they've discovered, collected and destroyed all the weapons in the private sector. Easy enough to shut down the stores and warehouses and factories; monitor the periphery of army camps (of-bloody-course there will be a black market in military issue) and put extra patrols on the borders for gun-runners. Divert police-power from the brothels and protection racket, as needed. Anyway, shut down all the sources of ammunition and new guns.
They could, but they never will.

They couldn't and they never will. Criminals will manufacture ammunition and guns - it's not real difficult.
The argument that the prevalence of firearms, or the availability of automatic weapons, is the cause of violence does not agree with the facts. In Switzerland, nearly every household has a selective fire weapon and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. Switzerland has one of the lowest rates of crime in the world.

Another point which you should note is that in every state of the U.S. that has passed a "Shall Issue" law (you are granted a license unless there is a clear reason not to) and/or concealed carry law, the violent crime rate has decreased. Every one of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-12-2011, 07:07 PM
(06-12-2011 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not true - violent crime has increased since the good people of GB were disarmed. Look it up.

I'd rather Take a punch to the face than a bullet to the face any day.

Also can you provide a source for that fact?

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
06-12-2011, 07:22 PM
(06-12-2011 07:07 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(06-12-2011 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not true - violent crime has increased since the good people of GB were disarmed. Look it up.

I'd rather Take a punch to the face than a bullet to the face any day.

Also can you provide a source for that fact?

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern_ireland_news.asp?id=34326

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/l...urope.html

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]