Poll: Should guns be legal for civilians to own?
No, none whatsoever
Hunting rifles only
All guns according to current US laws
All guns, full auto included
[Show Results]

Firearms?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
10-12-2011, 05:48 PM
RE: Firearms?
For me, it comes down to self-defense. You can bat around statistics about crime rates and gun accidents, and philosophical questions about the distinction between an object designed to kill and one that can be used to kill.

There are bad guys out there. If one of them attacks me, whatever he has in in his hands, he has a very good chance of that being his last action in this life, because I have a firearm, I have the knowledge of how to use it, and I have the will to use it.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-12-2011, 08:42 PM
(10-12-2011 05:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  For me, it comes down to self-defense. You can bat around statistics about crime rates and gun accidents, and philosophical questions about the distinction between an object designed to kill and one that can be used to kill.

There are bad guys out there. If one of them attacks me, whatever he has in in his hands, he has a very good chance of that being his last action in this life, because I have a firearm, I have the knowledge of how to use it, and I have the will to use it.

Remember, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Ditto.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2011, 03:54 AM
I think the issue here is teaching respect and proper use of the weapon. In Swizterland where my father came from every male between 18 and about 35 has a goverment issue automatic rifle in their home and they have had military training in it's proper use. They have one of the highest firearm ownership per capita in the world, and some of the lowest rates of homicide from firearms, mainly I would think due to the strict training, the strict gun laws, and the fact that any one that wishes to commit a crime can be be pretty sure that they will have to deal with a military trained person with an automatic rifle in almost every home they might wish to enter.

I think in most parts of America any idiot could have a gun without training of any kind. I think there should be some training requirement to own a gun, the more powerful the weapon the longer and more specialized training would be required. I wouldn't think that people would object to this too much, after all if you are buying a gun for protection would you also like to know that you could actually use it when you needed to?
[+] 5 users Like unsapien's post
11-12-2011, 10:13 AM
That'd never work. It's too sensible Tongue People would cry discrimination or something stupid. I'm all for it though.

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 2 users Like Azaraith's post
11-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Going a little off topic here but I had a remark to make...
(04-11-2011 09:44 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  Not everyone is a vegetarian, most aren't. For them, hunting is an acceptable use. I don't see a human hunting a deer as any more wrong/immoral than a lion killing a gazelle. (Actually, it's far more humane - just watch a video of a lion kill, or worse, a hyena).
So you're saying we humans have the same analyzing/thinking capabilities as a lion? That we would starve to death if we didn't hunt, or even eat meat for that matter? That we don't have a choice but to kill?

I think that the human species is more capable than that.
11-12-2011, 02:06 PM
(11-12-2011 02:01 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Going a little off topic here but I had a remark to make...
(04-11-2011 09:44 AM)Azaraith Wrote:  Not everyone is a vegetarian, most aren't. For them, hunting is an acceptable use. I don't see a human hunting a deer as any more wrong/immoral than a lion killing a gazelle. (Actually, it's far more humane - just watch a video of a lion kill, or worse, a hyena).
So you're saying we humans have the same analyzing/thinking capabilities as a lion? That we would starve to death if we didn't hunt, or even eat meat for that matter? That we don't have a choice but to kill?

We have to kill something, animal or plant. Hard to find a way around not killing something to get something. Last I checked that was simply the way it is Smile

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
11-12-2011, 02:07 PM
(11-12-2011 02:01 PM)Adaptive Wrote:  Going a little off topic here but I had a remark to make...

I don't think he's saying that; I definitely wouldn't.
You are assuming that it is wrong to kill animals for food, that humans should be 'above' that. Not everyone agrees with you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-12-2011, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2011 02:48 PM by Azaraith.)

My point was, what makes us different from a lion? "Above" a lion in "morality" of not killing other animals for food? Sure, we're more intelligent, but that doesn't make us separate / unique from animals. We're just a very intelligent species (sometimes...) We're both just species of animal, adapted each in our own way to best survive in our environment. Unless you're stating that lions are also wrong to hunt and kill their prey, they just get a pass because they're stupid?

Purely vegetarian diets have been known to have some nutritional issues, some of which can be dealt with by vitamins, but the fact is we evolved as omnivores and do best with a mixed diet. See here for one perspective on it that's a bit more thorough: http://www.acu-cell.com/veg.html

Better without God, and happier too.
11-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm not a vegetarian myself... I haven't found a way to be one efficiently. Or maybe I haven't been looking for ways well enough. Huh

Just wanted that argue the view that we aren't lions in the wild. That we have choices.

I agree that a line has to be drawn somewhere. Just like how (most of us) don't eat monkeys or dogs. Plants are not animals...
11-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Plants have feelings too! Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]