Firefighter fired for sending emails with Christian content.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Firefighter fired for sending emails with Christian content.
The firing was justified. He has no right to appeal.

Story here.

What gets me is that he was told to stop and didn't. Also... it's pretty common knowledge that you don't use company email for that sort of thing. Especially working for the state.

I don't see how he has a leg to stand on in the appeal.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
RE: Firefighter fired for sending emails with Christian content.
(12-10-2012 10:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The firing was justified. He has no right to appeal.

Story here.

What gets me is that he was told to stop and didn't. Also... it's pretty common knowledge that you don't use company email for that sort of thing. Especially working for the state.

I agree. And if he needed to talk to his congregation so badly, he could have just opened another e-mail account. There are plenty of free e-mail services out there.

"The amazing thing is that every atom in your body came from a star that exploded. ... So, forget Jesus. The stars died so that you could be here today." -- Lawrence Krauss
[+] 3 users Like calmblueocean's post
12-10-2012, 10:59 AM
First Simple Rule: Don't use your company's stuff to do your own personal stuff. Companies don't like that sort of thing.

Second Simple Rule: When your boss tells you to stop doing something, you should stop. If you don't, you should expect to be fired.

Corollary to the First Two Simple Rules: Trying to justify that it's OK to break the Second Simple Rule because breaking it was the only way for you to break the First Simple Rule is not a good defense.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
12-10-2012, 11:29 AM
(12-10-2012 10:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The firing was justified. He has no right to appeal.

Story here.

He lives in a Christian country? Thumbsup

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
12-10-2012, 11:33 AM
(12-10-2012 11:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  

Story here.

He lives in a Christian country? Thumbsup
Watch, he'll probably use that as his defense.

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
12-10-2012, 12:30 PM
(12-10-2012 11:33 AM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 11:29 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  He lives in a Christian country? Thumbsup
Watch, he'll probably use that as his defense.

Nope. He's just lazy. He already said he did it because it was the easy way to do it. All he had to do was send the email to his personal email, copy and paste in the names, and resend it. It would take 10 seconds. Either he is REALLY stupid, (and lazy0, OR, he knew what he was doing, and that this would happen, and had the present situation was his intended outcome. I think he WANTED this to happen.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Living daily with the high tragedy of being #2 on Laramie Hirsch's ignore list.
12-10-2012, 01:18 PM
(12-10-2012 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 11:33 AM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Watch, he'll probably use that as his defense.

Nope. He's just lazy. He already said he did it because it was the easy way to do it. All he had to do was send the email to his personal email, copy and paste in the names, and resend it. It would take 10 seconds. Either he is REALLY stupid, (and lazy0, OR, he knew what he was doing, and that this would happen, and had the present situation was his intended outcome. I think he WANTED this to happen.

I'm thinking that, too. I wonder if if that was a part of previous email chatter he had.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
12-10-2012, 03:01 PM
(12-10-2012 12:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 11:33 AM)TwelfthHunter Wrote:  Watch, he'll probably use that as his defense.

Maybe. It might not be too much of a stretch. We've all seen feigned christian outrage before after all and it seems to fall in line.

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
12-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Yes I have to agree with the people who fired him. There is a big separation between work and personal life.

I haven't used company email for anything other than company related things.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
12-10-2012, 06:37 PM
How much did those emails cost the govt exactly? Less than a penny?

If wasting one penny worth of data space was his only infraction in 17 years, then I am going to have to call BS on this one.